Sound/notification management with Lollipop upgrade

lebatte

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm super confused regarding the new way sounds, vibration, muting, and notifications are handled in Lollipop. As a general request, does anyone know of a good guide to get me up to speed?

To me, it seems like I simply cannot get things the way I want them anymore. For instance, I just found out that to get LED notifications, I have to have vibration or sound turned on. No LED notifications on mute/silent? Are they serious? There seems to be no way to get a notification now without having my phone vibrating or making noise on my desk at work, which means I'm either annoying my coworkers or not getting notifications. It seemed that if I want to disable vibration and still get LED alerts, I need to go into every app and disable it there, which is totally counterintuitive—I used to be able to control this by pressing the volume button on the side of the phone.

Not only that, but I currently have vibration turned on so that I can get LED alerts, and I unchecked vibration in Hangouts for both Hangouts messages and SMS messages, and it's still vibrating.

Is there any way at all to get LED notifications without vibration?

I don't even know where to start on the "interruptions" system. It's so convoluted. Who is it helping that you can turn your alarms off buy just turning your volume down? I feel like it's only a matter of time before I wake up late for work because of that.

If I'm complaining for no reason and there are workarounds, please let me know. Thanks!

68bucks

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
I'm interested in the same thing, what is the general logic with the sounds and notifications? I'm new to Android all together so I have no prior conceptions on how this is handled. I think the flexibility will be great once I can figure out what I'm doing. For example in the sounds and notifications menu there are 4 different volume settings. Ringtone and notification are simple enough but where do the media and system sounds come in? Is media strictly volume on music or video? Is there a way to make all the sound volumes change proportionally? In other words i can set the various volumes but when I use the buttons from the home screen to turn the ringer down only the ringer seems to lower. I would like every sound to lower proportionally. I move from noisy areas to quite areas in my job all day long. it would be nice to easily manage all the sound volumes at once. Or am I missing something? And managing all the notification that make sounds seems like a complicated mess. Almost like I need to go app by app and set things up. Seems like my phone is making some sort of noise all the time and sometimes I don't even know why.

lebatte

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I think I might've figured out a workaround, which regrettably defies all logic. But if you want the LED to appear without getting vibrations, you can go into "Sounds and notifications" and set your "Vibration intensity" slider to 0. Then, turn on vibrations, and your LED should theoretically still work. So, so ridiculous.

Keep in mind that if you actually want vibrations, you're going to have to adjust that slider again. Ugh.

jleemess

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Thank you that worked perfectly.. I wonder if there going to restore the l.e.d. function on mute in a future update?

Posted via the Android Central App

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
The best guide I found was the instructions to upgrade back to Kit kat. Lollipoop almost made me later for work. Unfreakingacceptable.

salutcemoi

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I think I might've figured out a workaround, which regrettably defies all logic. But if you want the LED to appear without getting vibrations, you can go into "Sounds and notifications" and set your "Vibration intensity" slider to 0. Then, turn on vibrations, and your LED should theoretically still work. So, so ridiculous.

Keep in mind that if you actually want vibrations, you're going to have to adjust that slider again. Ugh.

I was going to post this, but yeah that's what I did and it works.

It also allows to have the alarm sound working

The Lollipop sound/notification system sucks big time.

In Europe they got a 5.1 update that brings things to normal

Posted via the Android Central App