Google Maps

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Google maps battery drain

I'm using a galaxy s5 at home. I'm on a Comcast Xfinity Wi-Fi site. The device works perfectly. The battery consumption is normal. I can run the device at least 20 hours without charging. Here's my question. When I go on the road, I use Google Maps. I have been leaving Wi-Fi connected and activated data while on the road. The system works fine. Battery consumption however, is very poor. I can only use the device in that mode for about 4 hours before I need to charge the device. I leave my data connected so that if there are traffic, congestion notifications while traveling., etc, I will be notified online. Is my thought process correct? Is there another way to use the device more efficiently and effectively? Thanks.

Smartphone, Samsung Galaxy S5, Lollipop 5.0, Verizon network

anon(632115)

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google maps battery drain

turn off Wi-Fi if not needed as it will be constantly searching for networks. I also find GPS causes battery drain when navigating

beagle82

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site

You could change your location settings to 'device only' so that it only uses the GPS for positioning, rather than GPS, wifi and cell towers. Might reduce the battery consumption a bit. However, I'm guessing that your screen is on the entire time, so 4 hours of screen on time is pretty normal. You could dim the screen a bit which will also help with battery.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

You could change your location settings to 'device only' so that it only uses the GPS for positioning, rather than GPS, wifi and cell towers. Might reduce the battery consumption a bit. However, I'm guessing that your screen is on the entire time, so 4 hours of screen on time is pretty normal. You could dim the screen a bit which will also help with battery.

Thanks for the tip

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site

I have the Galaxy S4 and just leave it plugged into the car charger when using Maps.

I realize that is an option. I just like to be untethered whenever possible. I'll recharge when I stop at night. Thanks.

Owen Gauthier

Jan 2, 2016
Visit site

I had the same problem because the Map software is so good I use it instead of my GPS unit. Get a phone holder for the car and plug in the phone to the car power outlet.
Drive as long as you want phone will always be at 100%

Posted via the Android Central App

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Google maps expert

When traveling using Google Maps, does the system get live traffic, construction, congestion, etc, from a data connection or does it use GPS. I'm trying to save both power and data costs, but I don't want to lose up to data. Your thoughts please.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Google maps expert

GPS gets you location and elevation in the form of latitude, longitude, and meters above mean sea level. That's all, nothing else.

If you want live traffic, etc., you'll need an active data connection.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Google maps & driving

I have Google Maps, and Google driving, on my system. I don't see any way difference in the two applications. Why do I need the driving application? Thanks.

can3gxw

Trusted Member
Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Re: Google maps & driving

I don't even HAVE the "Driving" mode/shortcuts on mine. I forgot about this feature - must be limited to US only.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Re: Google maps & driving

Thanks, I must have missed those explanations.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Google maps voice commands

The microphone icon is no longer visible while in navigation mode. How do I use voice commands while in navigation mode? Thanks.