News Google Maps is far and away the most popular navigation app, study finds

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
I was going to say that surely you mean "most commonly used" rather than "most popular" and I see the article does indeed conflate the two.

My GPS/sat-nav usage history is firmly embedded in the very first Garmin devices and my old Garmin 2610 motorbike-hardened sat-nav is still my favourite for long car journeys too despite its maps being stuck in 2009 so I use Google Maps on my phone only for the last mile for destinations I am not familiar with.

(actually as of last week that is no longer the case as I changed my car after 24 years to one with sat-nav built in - Garmin based as it happens)

Last edited:

davinp

Jun 2, 2023
Visit site
But Apple doesn't make its map app for Android, only on iOS whereas Google Maps is available on the web, iOS and Android.

When Apple released their Maps app, they kicked out Google Maps from the iPhone and didn't allow you to change it back to the default app

ilhe1s

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I find that while I use Google maps (web and app) I have friends that I ride Motos with who use Apple maps and it's always lacking in accuracy and updated information such as routes and roads. I've actually seen people end up at the wrong location with Apple maps. I know Google has had years to develop v Apple but I feel that Apple maps just isn't quite there yet.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Summer_glow