Samsung Galaxy S5 - Verizon - Latest Update before Lollipop?

DotScott1

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out what the latest update was before the Lollipop update on the Verizon Wireless Samsung Galaxy S5.

Here's the thing: The lollipop update... is pretty terrible. On the Verizon GS5 anyway. Battery life is awful now, lost a lot of functionality, it's a little bit slower than it was before, I don't care about their pretty new colors (design), etc. This isn't a post to complain more about that though, it's just that I'm factory resetting my GS5 and wanted to see if I could flash that update that I had just before the Lollipop update..... somehow.... I'm new to this :/

Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated. Do you know which version of Android that was? 4.4.4.something I think.

DotScott1

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, Jacqui! Hmm good question! I would first check your documents and download folders, though I doubt it would save something like a system update in either of those locations. I'll try to look into this and let you know what I find :) in the meantime, just make sure you don't install the update! :x (just my opinion)

DotScott1

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Ok, it looks like it should be located in a /cache folder. The file would be very large and probably have a long name that (at least partially) includes the name of the update (Lollipop). I can't test it for myself so you'll have to let me know how it goes. I hope this helps you locate it!

Jacqui Holder

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
I read someone else's thread about how to delete my cache partition. I did that and no files show as you indicated. But I still keep getting the message to Install the Update (NOT download the update). So, somehow it realizes that I already downloaded the file and is waiting to install. I can't get this message to quit appearing. This is really crappy. I've posted a couple of other threads and no one has responded. :(

DotScott1

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I read someone else's thread about how to delete my cache partition. I did that and no files show as you indicated. But I still keep getting the message to Install the Update (NOT download the update). So, somehow it realizes that I already downloaded the file and is waiting to install. I can't get this message to quit appearing. This is really crappy. I've posted a couple of other threads and no one has responded. :(

Ah, for that, I think a root would be required. google search "stop showing update available on android" and a few threads pop up.

gs2gs3gs4gs5

Feb 11, 2015
Visit site
clear partition is just turn off the phone, hold the power, volume up, and the home key, as soon as it vibrates let go of ONLY the power key..... when the recovery screen comes up you can let go of the volume and home key.
use volume down until wipe cache is highlighted then press power key.
phone will turn back on
then your done

Jacqui Holder

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I understand how to clear the partition. I did that. But I still keep getting the message about installing 5.0. I don't want to install the update and I want the message to go away. And I don't want, or know anything about, rooting my phone.

dby2011

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I also have a Galaxy 5 with Verizon. I just did a complete factory reset after updating to Lollipop and it runs fine now for me. It is smoother now than when it was running Kit Kat and the battery life is about the same. I did clear the cache partion before I did the factory reset and it helped somewhat but it still was not as smooth as it is now with a factory reset. If I were you I would factory reset Lollipop first to see if your issues go away before you go through all that effort to go back to Kit Kat.

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
If I were you I would factory reset Lollipop first to see if your issues go away before you go through all that effort to go back to Kit Kat.
Don't do this. I upgraded back to Kit kat. It wasn't any more difficult than a hard reset. Instructions are in another thread. Downloading the rom took a few minutes. That was the most difficult part.

DotScott1

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Don't do this. I upgraded back to Kit kat. It wasn't any more difficult than a hard reset. Instructions are in another thread. Downloading the rom took a few minutes. That was the most difficult part.

Yeah this is what I want to do but I can't seem to locate the Verizon version (SM-G900V) of 4.4.4 firmware. I tried SamMobile dot com but they don't seem to have Verizon's version anymore :(

Anyway, anyone know where I can find the SM-G900V 4.4.4 version of KitKat firmware?

Last edited:

Jacqui Holder

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
I am so flipping confused. I have a Galazy S5. I don't know what to do and can't seem to find any help. I was a lifelong iPhone user before this and may switch back only b/c their support is so much better. I don't understand why this is such a deal! I don't know what do, what do search for, what half the terminology means, etc. Very frustrating for a novice, non-techy user like myself. I'm not angry at anyone on this threat, I appreciate all you are trying to do for me. I'm just frustrated over the whole thing in general.

dby2011

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I'm just trying to be honest, maybe I am not a power user or something but after a factory reset everything seems fine for me. I can't find any loss of functioning for what I use my phone for. Good luck.

DotScott1

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I am so flipping confused. I have a Galazy S5. I don't know what to do and can't seem to find any help. I was a lifelong iPhone user before this and may switch back only b/c their support is so much better. I don't understand why this is such a deal! I don't know what do, what do search for, what half the terminology means, etc. Very frustrating for a novice, non-techy user like myself. I'm not angry at anyone on this threat, I appreciate all you are trying to do for me. I'm just frustrated over the whole thing in general.

I think a lot of us are there with you in terms of frustration. As soon as I get mine reset to 4.4.4, I think I may be able to help you out a little better. Hope you can hold tight while we figure this one out.

DotScott1

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm just trying to be honest, maybe I am not a power user or something but after a factory reset everything seems fine for me. I can't find any loss of functioning for what I use my phone for. Good luck.

Yeah it's some things that many users won't notice but for me, I use applications like Automateit, pressy, etc. and for a lot of those apps, functionality was lost due to restrictions placed on the lollipop version of Android. They basically closed it off a little more which seems odd because Android is supposed to be all about "open" (open-source). So they are taking away what people switched to Android for :/ 4.4.4 was more open so I would like to switch back to that version.

Jacqui Holder

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
Thank you DotScott1. I will wait to hear back from you. Some of the problems that other users were having that concerned me most were little things like the home button not working anymore, and the LED light not flashing to indicate new messages, etc. Very basic functionality. I'll be waiting! LOL Thank you again!!! In the meantime, I'll keep dismissing the update messages..................................................................

DotScott1

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
so... I may have spoken too soon. After clearing the partition and doing a factory reset, the device seems to be running smoothly... very smoothly actually. I'm not sure about the battery life yet but everything else seems to be working fine now. It automatically downloaded all the apps I had before and applied a lot of the settings i had before. it also brought all of my texts and calls and stuff like that back. it's all part of Verizon's backup system.

it still has some loss of functionality in that apps cannot turn on or off mobile data... this is something that I used to use constantly with the Automateit app. really sucks that I can't use that anymore but... at least everything else is working now.

dby2011

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
so... I may have spoken too soon. After clearing the partition and doing a factory reset, the device seems to be running smoothly... very smoothly actually. I'm not sure about the battery life yet but everything else seems to be working fine now. It automatically downloaded all the apps I had before and applied a lot of the settings i had before. it also brought all of my texts and calls and stuff like that back. it's all part of Verizon's backup system.

it still has some loss of functionality in that apps cannot turn on or off mobile data... this is something that I used to use constantly with the Automateit app. really sucks that I can't use that anymore but... at least everything else is working now.

See- told ya! ;) lol It makes a huge difference when you do a factory reset. However, in your defense, I spoke with a Samsung rep at Best Buy last night and he showed me a memo from Samsung corporate that stated to tell customers to not upgrade to Lollipop at this time and a new update will be available in a month- to month and a half. I can only assume the issues pop up from doing an upgrade not a factory reset- it is probably unreasonable to tell the every day user to do a factory reset. I do find this strange though as it was always suggested that Verizon does extensive tests before they release updates- you would think they would have figured this out.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89