My S5 gyro test failed, is there anything I can do to repair this?

mjc32

Mar 19, 2015
Visit site
s5 gyro test fail

my screen wont rotate i have done a gyro test and it as said it has failed, is there anything else i can do to repair this or is it a hardware issue

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: s5 gyro test fail

Welcome to Android Central! Sounds like a hardware issue--the phone should still be under warranty, so contact Samsung (unless the phone is really new, in which case you should see if your wireless store will replace it).

One quick thing to check is to boot into Safe Mode, to make sure some 3rd party app isn't causing the problem: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-10696

Bullonwallst01

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
Did you ever find a fix for this problem with gyroscope. I am having the same issue. please help. Thank you

I'm also having the same issue with my s5 for sprint.
It does however turn to the side when watching a video on youtube and when you exit the video it remains sideways until I go back to home page.

fanboy_1

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
I'm also having the same issue with my s5 for sprint.
It does however turn to the side when watching a video on youtube and when you exit the video it remains sideways until I go back to home page.

I am having the exact same problem, it just started yesterday i realized it when i was trying to watch some youtube and any app that should be able to go landscape do not

AXEL314

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site

I know there's a lag when flipping the screen. It literally takes 3 - 4 secs for my screen to flip. There's no animation doing so.

Posted via the Android Central App

Niamhotoole

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site

Fyi I just got that problem. Gyro test failed and no rotation. No reason for it....
Booted into safe mode, still no joy. Gave it a good crack up the back, still no joy.
Disabled safe mode and it's working again. Gyro test passed and rotation back on.

Figures. I don't recommend beating your phone up but safe mode booting might have reset it

sleeperg

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site

My AT&T S5 had just started doing that and failed the gyro test. Safe mode, a sharp knock to the back, and it was working both in safe mode and when i rebooted. Thanks for the advice.

Niamhotoole

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site

Actually mine failed again after a little while :/

I did the above a couple of times and then it stopped working altogether.
It's back working with a simple "take out the battery for a minute" trick. However long for I don't know!
To check hardware on galaxy s5 and likely others, type *#0*# on phone pad and press sensors. Then check gyroscope (Two taps on back button to go back each step)

Last edited:

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site

Actually mine failed again after a little while :/

I did the above a couple of times and then it stopped working altogether.
It's back working with a simple "take out the battery for a minute" trick. However long for I don't know!
To check hardware on galaxy s5 and likely others, type *#0* on phone pad and press sensors. Then check gyroscope (Two taps on back button to go back each step)

Went through the same gyrations (pardon the pun), and finally gave up on mine. Sold it, took the hit, and got another.....

Niamhotoole

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site

yeah, it's crapped out for good now.
However since I can't afford a new phone, I have found a workaround on YouTube.

Download either rotation lock adaptive or set orientation from the play store.
Set to force auto / automatic. This works for some.
Didn't work for me but forcing it into landscape did work. Obviously clunky as then EVERYTHING is in landscape and you need to disable again to get back to normal but at least the gallery is somewhat functional again.

Pianoman2013

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
So I experienced the accelerometer/gyro sensors failing shortly after the Marshmallow update for the Sprint GS5. I tried the above methods with zero success. Today, I received another software update (g900pvpu3cpe1) and the sensors both started working again . . . for a moment. It was short-lived, as both sensors fail to register. Any thoughts? It appears to be a software issue.

k1o5

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
With my VZN SM-G900V android v 6.0.1, to reset the "stuck" accelerometer and gyro I restart into SAFE mode and then restart again (or choose turn off safe mode, which restarts also). Everything works again ..... but only for a while. I thought it was hardware, but now seems like it's definitely software.

Konan Gauld

Jul 16, 2016
Visit site
Re: s5 gyro test fail SOLUTION

my screen wont rotate i have done a gyro test and it as said it has failed, is there anything else i can do to repair this or is it a hardware issue
SOLUTION: I had the same problem and here's how to fix it: do the gyro test just in case, then boot in safe mode and do gyro test, then restart not in safe mode and do test. Idk how this works but it did for me!!

handelo

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
@Konan Gauld

Thank you! I don't know how or why, but that seemed to do the trick, even if it's not permanent it's already a much longer working period of time than what I would get from a simple restart. Thanks so much!

handelo

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Ok, correction, it helps for a while longer than a soft reset, but the gyro and accelerometer still freeze at some point (I still haven't managed to pinpoint the exact cause).

I factory-resetted the phone to stock 6.0.1 and it still happens. Leads me to believe it's a 6.0.1 issue. I wonder if downgrading back to lollipop would solve it.

handelo

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Nope, it doesn't. Downgrading back to 5.0 and the issue's still there. Installed custom recovery and firmware - same thing. I read somewhere that someone was having the issue because his phone was overheating due to his TPU case, but that's not the issue with me.
I also found that while the sensors do work after a reset, the gyroscope constantly reports an ever-so-slight rotation in one direction. I think it is a hardware issue after all, as weird as it may be. Gonna send it to a lab and see if they can solve it.

yurisousa

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Fyi I just got that problem. Gyro test failed and no rotation. No reason for it....
Booted into safe mode, still no joy. Gave it a good crack up the back, still no joy.
Disabled safe mode and it's working again. Gyro test passed and rotation back on.

Figures. I don't recommend beating your phone up but safe mode booting might have reset it

The suggestion above really worked very well. Just follow it

Last edited by a moderator:

Whtngr

Aug 28, 2016
Visit site
With my VZN SM-G900V android v 6.0.1, to reset the "stuck" accelerometer and gyro I restart into SAFE mode and then restart again (or choose turn off safe mode, which restarts also). Everything works again ..... but only for a while. I thought it was hardware, but now seems like it's definitely software.

Did you find any solution ? I have suffered from same problem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty