10-15-2016 11:40 AM
66 123
tools
    Press and hold the power button until you get a menu with the last choice to restart the S4. Select the Restart and let the device reboot. The numbers will appear normal. It worked on S4 with lollipop.
    05-25-2015 07:56 PM
    Well it works for now. We will see what happens in the days to come
    05-25-2015 08:20 PM
    It has been almost a week since restarting my s5 and now the boxes are back again.
    06-01-2015 01:52 PM
    Just a thought, but has anyone tried going to...

Settings > Display > Font > Font style... and tried selecting a different font style and reboot the phone, to see if the problem persists.
    06-01-2015 02:09 PM
    Just a thought, but has anyone tried going to...

Settings > Display > Font > Font style... and tried selecting a different font style and reboot the phone, to see if the problem persists.
    That's a good point. Maybe there was a corrupted font file with the new OS or recent attack on Samsung.
    06-02-2015 10:06 AM
    I'm trying the font change and reboot, I will update in a couple days to see if it helps.
    06-04-2015 10:17 AM
    Tried it. Boxes still there before restarting. Just restarted so we'll so how long before the boxes re-appear!
    06-05-2015 06:53 PM
    I am also having the same problem with my Galaxy s4 for a while now. The lock screen letters turn to white squares. Then today I noticed when the low battery message popped up on my phone most of the letters in that message have turned into squares. I have no idea what is causing this. It's very frustrating! I took a screen shot but I don't know how to upload the picture here.
    06-06-2015 09:08 AM
    Doesn't work, eventually came back.

Posted via the Android Central App
    06-07-2015 07:25 AM
    Same here. Only started happening with the latest update. Just like everyone else, the fixes are only band aids. The problem is still there.

I really dislike this update, the appearance, and how they messed up the music player controls on the lock screen.
    06-09-2015 07:57 PM
    My S5 is doing the same thing. Is it possible it's an app that's not working right with the update? Wondering if anyone is experiencing this who's not using SwiftKey?
    06-15-2015 03:42 PM
    This all started with that lollipop update. Far as I am concerned it stinks. White blocks on lock screen, took away audio player controls on lock screen, and the lag with the update is awful, like trying to type this on this web site, very miserable. sheeesh! What was Samsung thinking?
    Also samsung put carrier name in upper left corner, and can't see notification icons there anymore on lock screen.
    The battery life has shortened dramaticly since this last up grade..

What is up with this site? It is like typing through molassus, very very sluggish and hard to get letters typed to come up.
    06-15-2015 08:12 PM
    I was having white blocks also. All I did was reset phone and its working now
    06-16-2015 06:22 PM
    Same problem on S5 and Note 3 on Verizon after Lollipop. All resets, boots, clear cache, etc. work initially, but it comes back after a couple of days. On both phones we use Night Clock as our bedside clock/alarm on our phones. Noticed this changes fonts. Is this by chance used by any of you? Will uninstall and report back in a few days.
    06-20-2015 08:50 PM
    I don't use Night Clock and I still have this issue.
    06-20-2015 09:34 PM
    Mine's an S4

Tried the > Display > Font Style, changing to Samsung Sans, and w/out rebooting, this maneuver completely trashed the login screen font - all notifications etc.

Next: Reboot - and all is normal - we'll see how long it lasts with the Font Style change in play.

PS: The last time I tried a Clear Cache for whatever reason, it dumped all of my Twitter accounts from memory :|
    06-23-2015 04:30 PM
    I have the Samsung Galaxy S5. Have had it for almost 6 months. I had problems ever since the Lollipop update. I opted to reset the phone to factory settings to eliminate the update and I've been having numerous other problems since. Just today, the lock screen numbers went to white boxes. I have to say, it's not Lollipop causing the problem. I even trimmed down my apps since the reset. I have a Cache cleaner app and constantly clear the Cache, so I know that's not the problem..

Any other thoughts?
    06-25-2015 06:33 PM
    I discussed this issue with Verizon Tier 2 support, as the problem appeared on multiple devices on our business account.

The issue is specific to Lollipop. Verizon and Samsung are working on a software update to patch this bug (and others). The only thing you can do at this point is wait for the software patch.
    06-26-2015 12:44 PM
    can some one send me the answer.
    07-04-2015 11:41 AM
    !!!!!UPDATE!!!! 7-6-2015

Just got an update for my Galaxy S5 on Verizon. We will see if it solves the white box problem.
    07-06-2015 01:07 PM
    Did the update fix the problem?
    Have a Note3 with Verizon with the same issue.

I tried a simple change that temp fixed the issue so far.
    I change the phone login security from a PIN to a SWIPE, restarted phone, then changed phone login security back to PIN and restarted the phone, and it brought all the lock screen characters back.
    Strange, I know, but it worked, and has lasted for 1 day so far. No update yet from Verizon for the NOTE3.
    07-06-2015 04:03 PM
    Has anyone tried changing their keyboard to swype? Seems to be common theme...my daughter is having the same thing with her s5 active on AT&T. Has anyone had this when their lock screen security is on anything besides pin?
    07-10-2015 04:42 PM
    Has anyone tried changing their keyboard to swype? Seems to be common theme...my daughter is having the same thing with her s5 active on AT&T. Has anyone had this when their lock screen security is on anything besides pin?
    I have a Note 3 worked fine never had any problems with it until the last OS update. Now I get the blocks on my security screen login. I use Swype all the time have been since it was available. I've had all kinds of issues since the Lollipop OS got pushed to my phone. Never needed to restart my phone. Now I have to every three to four days or stuff stops working. That was a crappy forced update.
    07-23-2015 05:44 PM
    Another clue? Right now, my lock screen is entirely white blocks (two days since last power-off).
    See attached screenshot.
    Most notifications are clean and readable, but, the one from our local news station's app is blocky. And it is a different font and color.

Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails samsung s5 keypad letters and numbers turn into white squares/rectangles-screenshot_2015-07-31-18-11-40.jpg  
    07-31-2015 05:28 PM
    I'm also facing this problem. I took my Galaxy S5 to the technical assistance twice and factory resets were performed. Because they didn't work, I gave my phone back to Samsung and my money was refunded. I decided to buy another Galaxy S5 but the problem happened again (). How can we push Samsung to provide an efficient solution?

samsung s5 keypad letters and numbers turn into white squares/rectangles-bug_s5.gif
    08-10-2015 10:08 PM
66 123