samsung s5 keypad letters and numbers turn into white squares/rectangles

millermmail

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Add me and my roomate to the list both Samsung S5 on Verizon...easy fix is a reboot but after 7-10 days it starts happening again and more and more letters go away every time it's put in sleep. I've wiped cache and soft-reset but not willing to hard-reset (especially now that I've read this people still have the issue).

I hope they fix it...it's annoying to have to reboot once a week just for this. My roomate had several months of uptime from Black Friday until the update came out with no issues.

millermmail

May 20, 2015
Visit site
Mine is doing it again. Have done hard and soft resets. Wiped Cache haven't installed any new apps. Stuff like this makes me want to switch to iPhone even though I despise them they just work.
We spend hundreds of dollars on phones and they are only good for a year and then start going haywire. Any luck with culprit?

Posted via the Android Central App

I wonder if it's a coincidence...when my phone does it always the same letters turn to blocks. And I see it's the same ones you have missing.

ski_guyS5

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem with my galaxy s5 too. It started a few days ago with only a few white boxes. Now however, all of the numbers on the pin are boxes and the time and date are starting to turn to boxes also. Somebody please help, it is very annoying.

Ted Halk

May 26, 2015
Visit site
Press and hold the power button until you get a menu with the last choice to restart the S4. Select the Restart and let the device reboot. The numbers will appear normal. It worked on S4 with lollipop.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Just a thought, but has anyone tried going to...

Settings > Display > Font > Font style... and tried selecting a different font style and reboot the phone, to see if the problem persists.

Isaac Van Mechelen

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Just a thought, but has anyone tried going to...

Settings > Display > Font > Font style... and tried selecting a different font style and reboot the phone, to see if the problem persists.

That's a good point. Maybe there was a corrupted font file with the new OS or recent attack on Samsung.

canadien80

Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
I am also having the same problem with my Galaxy s4 for a while now. The lock screen letters turn to white squares. Then today I noticed when the low battery message popped up on my phone most of the letters in that message have turned into squares. I have no idea what is causing this. It's very frustrating! I took a screen shot but I don't know how to upload the picture here.

samefly

Jun 10, 2015
Visit site
Same here. Only started happening with the latest update. Just like everyone else, the fixes are only band aids. The problem is still there.

I really dislike this update, the appearance, and how they messed up the music player controls on the lock screen.

B Hogan

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
My S5 is doing the same thing. Is it possible it's an app that's not working right with the update? Wondering if anyone is experiencing this who's not using SwiftKey?

Scott65

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
This all started with that lollipop update. Far as I am concerned it stinks. White blocks on lock screen, took away audio player controls on lock screen, and the lag with the update is awful, like trying to type this on this web site, very miserable. sheeesh! What was Samsung thinking?
Also samsung put carrier name in upper left corner, and can't see notification icons there anymore on lock screen.
The battery life has shortened dramaticly since this last up grade..

What is up with this site? It is like typing through molassus, very very sluggish and hard to get letters typed to come up.

Kimblem

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Same problem on S5 and Note 3 on Verizon after Lollipop. All resets, boots, clear cache, etc. work initially, but it comes back after a couple of days. On both phones we use Night Clock as our bedside clock/alarm on our phones. Noticed this changes fonts. Is this by chance used by any of you? Will uninstall and report back in a few days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non