Att update to 5.1

rcam1108

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I have the s6 Active from AT&T and only had one update since it came out in the spring. How is the s5 getting newer updates and I am still in the dark. 5.0.1. Wtf. Says I am up to date.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(1017475)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Downloaded and installed yesterday with no issues. I'll see if there are any performance/efficiency differences over the course of the week and post my observations.

lynna1682

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I hate it, now I don't have lock and unlock sounds.
Why can't they make an update that will add the date stamp to my pictures, really hate not having the date on them.

lebatte

May 19, 2014
Visit site
did anyone see that there is a update that was pushed out today

FYI I installed this update yesterday on T-Mobile, and it totally broke my SD card. Lost all of my data, and my card doesn't work anymore and can't be formatted. Might want to make sure you remove your SD cards before you update.

Mal Lignant Tumor

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
No issue for me with the SD card. Everything on the card is still there. Phone is working fine. Just drove 500+ miles away from home, good signal, good battery. WiFi in hotel connected without issue.

s_m_r

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I just finished installing the 5.1.1. update to my Samsung Galaxy S5 a couple of hours ago. I am on Central Time zone. I've notice that my device is smoother and runs faster. I no longer have the sim card error that was linked to my call settings. Now I can forward calls and make changes to my call waiting. I also notice that the app for the mobile Hotspot is gone. I now have to go into settings to connect my hotspot. I was waiting for this update because of the error messages in my call settings that AT&T couldn't fix. Now my phone is operating great and there are no more error messages.

Aziz_Khan

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Tried through update software but it says i am having the latest version installed its 5.0, any idea why i am not getting the update??

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Tried through update software but it says i am having the latest version installed its 5.0, any idea why i am not getting the update??

Are you registered on the AT&T network?

Has your phone been rooted/modified?

wormdood

Apr 20, 2010
blog.mattkurio.com
Tried installing yesterday and today. After rebooting to recovery and starting update it errored saying Update Failed. Did a cache wipe between tries.

Nicholas Ely

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
I have downloaded 3 times... last 3 nights and get failure to install every time after rebooting. I have also tried installing through Kies, but says I am up to date.

Eight_bit

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
Updated to 5.1.1 through device settings > About > Software Updates.
It was 610MB (AT&T) all went smooth and rebooted fine.
I don't notice any difference from 5.0 with the exception of swiping UP the notification no longer clears the notifications (nice I guess).
The camera App. seems to open at least 3X as fast as it used too (definitely nice)...

David Echevarria

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Grrrr, I regret this update immediately. 4.4.4 was perfectly fine but on 5.1 I notice immediate lag just swiping around in the home screen. Google Chrome constantly refreshes a tab when I use another app and the battery went from 99% to 96% in 2 minutes of use....

I looked at the method of downgrading but I don't wanna risk this device. I bought it off contract.

AIM9x

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
My phone's been burning battery like crazy since the update. I left location services on, but had absolutely every app closed, yet my phone burned through over 30% battery life in about 4 hours without me ever touching it. Apparently ATT thinks 12 hour standby time is acceptable with this new update. No notification that you've cleared the home screen (used to give a vibrate like you hit a key), tons of unwanted pop-up notifications when trying to use google services (maybe just because first time since the update, but how the hell can I use navigation services when I have to re-enter everything I did twice). Perhaps another factory reset is in order, as it solved many problems with the dreaded 5.0 update.

anon(1017475)

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok. Got a 23 hour battery test (based on my usage) pretty much completed. It's not %100 "pure" because I mistakenly put it on the car charger for a minute at the beginning of my drive to work, while using Google Navigation and listening to a podcast (pretty much the last hour of use)

Notes: This is with S Health enabled and FB installed. I toggle Location and Bluetooth off when I'm not using them.

Overnight drain was impressive. I'm pretty stoked...the only other thing I want to "check" is call quality/connectivity in a low signal area.
b4295f0f7d943fc705e59705c3535430.jpg

6f07287307e954eeee4b07eda89e13e8.jpg

Last edited:

RossHP

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Update failed several times before success. Had to free up 6.25GB of storage which would have been much easier if we could remove all the bloatware. So far, all is well and nice improvement from 5.0.

mattsternc

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I installed this Friday morning without any issues. It took about 45 minutes to download and install (609mb). My battery was charging at wirelessly at the time and I noticed the phone got a little warm. It was draining a little faster than before, so I went ahead and plugged it in. I didn't reboot. What I saw after that was quite remarkable! My battery lasted until about 9:30 yesterday morning (when it hit 13%), so run/standby time was 1 day 15 hours or so. I am a light to moderate user, Facebook is installed and no phone calls during that time. Not bad for standby, although not sure if that was a fluke or not. I'll find out more in the next day or so.

As for the issues with install everyone seems to be having, the other forum *cough*xda*cough* had several people with the same issues. What some of them found was that the update itself needs 5-6 GB free for the install to complete successfully. I had around 6.5 free on my phone before the install and it completed with no issues. This is actually not very good if the actual requirement is to have that much space free, but I guess there isn't much we can do about it at this point.

As for changes, I've noticed little things all over the place. I really noticed that the phone is definitely more responsive now when I am using it. Navigation through the menus, apps, etc. seems to be much smoother than with 5.0.1 update. I'll see how the battery goes for the next few days. Hopefully that wasn't a fluke!!

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member