02-01-2017 08:43 PM
62 123
tools
    Galaxy 5S - have had for several months, no problems. In last week, I am finding that I cannot view attachments to emails I receive. I am using Email app that came with phone, running two accounts - one personal Hotmail account and one business account that is Outlook based and IMAP on phone. PC access to both accounts is fine - can view all attachments. Hotmail on phone - with PDF attachment, selecting "preview" gets me "Cannot display PDF (XXXX is of invalid format). Selecting "download" gets me the file downloaded, but again, I cannot open. I open attachments with Polaris and have had no problems for months. I can even open older downloaded PDFs with Polaris still. Problem is only for PDFs I've received in last week. Hotmail on phone - with Word attachment, I can get it to "open," but then document is blank.

Once again, I shouldn't need to download Adobe or some other PDF reader. Everything was absolutely FINE until 3 or 4 days ago. The issues seemed to coincide with a change to appearance and operation of Outlook on my PC, but don't know if there is correlation.
    11-04-2015 10:44 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! First, try clearing the cache of the Email app (in the App Manager). If that doesn't help, then what happens if you remove the email account from the phone, then add it back again?
    11-04-2015 11:47 AM
    Cleared cache - no effect. Removed both email accounts, cycled power, added them back - no effect. I can download and read PDFs fine via web browser. But if I download same PDF to my laptop and then email it to my Hotmail account and access the email via my phone, then I get the error message. The name of the file shows in the downloads, but it shows as 0KBs.
    11-04-2015 03:46 PM
    Very odd. Try going to Settings>Security>Clear Credentials​, then try again.
    11-04-2015 06:31 PM
    My wife and I have just started having the same issue within the last few days. She has the s6 and the s5 for myself. Doesn't matter what app or viewer we try it won't open. Works just fine on the computer.
    11-04-2015 09:11 PM
    Galaxy 5S - have had for several months, no problems. In last week, I am finding that I cannot view attachments to emails I receive. I am using Email app that came with phone, running two accounts - one personal Hotmail account and one business account that is Outlook based and IMAP on phone. PC access to both accounts is fine - can view all attachments. Hotmail on phone - with PDF attachment, selecting "preview" gets me "Cannot display PDF (XXXX is of invalid format). Selecting "download" gets me the file downloaded, but again, I cannot open. I open attachments with Polaris and have had no problems for months. I can even open older downloaded PDFs with Polaris still. Problem is only for PDFs I've received in last week. Hotmail on phone - with Word attachment, I can get it to "open," but then document is blank.

Once again, I shouldn't need to download Adobe or some other PDF reader. Everything was absolutely FINE until 3 or 4 days ago. The issues seemed to coincide with a change to appearance and operation of Outlook on my PC, but don't know if there is correlation.
    I got the same exact problem few days ago. It was working totally fine before that. I need help please.

Thank you
    11-05-2015 09:00 AM
    I'm with rogers
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    11-05-2015 11:21 AM
    This is what I would try. Go to the defaults and find the app that used to open pdf's, clear defaults, try and open a pdf and see what options you have.

Your previous app could have stopped pdf support on mobile. These are the options I have on my Note 5 to open a pdf.
    Attached Thumbnails Why can't I view attachments to Emails?-1446744888460.jpg  
    11-05-2015 11:34 AM
    Sometimes, while i'm typing my email, the cursors will jump to another line ... anyone experience this ?

Posted via the Android Central App
    11-05-2015 11:40 AM
    Sometimes, while i'm typing my email, the cursors will jump to another line ... anyone experience this ?

I suggest creating a new thread about your question, to avoid confusion or thread hijacking. This thread is about difficulty viewing email attachments. Thanks!
    seeburt likes this.
    11-05-2015 11:54 AM
    Hey Kelly
    Thanks for answering. But is still not working. And their is no app.... it's drive pdf viewer. I even downloaded adobe and it still doesn't work. Don't know how that just happened all of a sudden.
    11-05-2015 12:24 PM
    Hey Kelly
    Thanks for answering. But is still not working. And their is no app.... it's drive pdf viewer. I even downloaded adobe and it still doesn't work. Don't know how that just happened all of a sudden.
    Ok, test this..

If you go to a pdf document in chrome or browser and open it, will it open with drive?
    11-05-2015 12:28 PM
    I will also re-enable stock email and set it up and see about some default settings.
    11-05-2015 12:29 PM
    Ok, set it up.. First time I tried to open a pdf, got the preview or save option. Now.. I am working with a Note 5 on 5.1.1 here.

It asked me what to open it with. You might need to clear defaults and cache on the email app and try to open one again. If the drive doesn't open one from the browser, you might be best to uninstall it uninstall updates on drive and reinstall/update drive again.
    Attached Thumbnails Why can't I view attachments to Emails?-1446748680862.jpg  
    11-05-2015 12:38 PM
    After these two things.. Not sure.
    11-05-2015 12:45 PM
    I tried it. Still not working . Thank you for your help though.

11-06-2015 08:59 AM
    Yes if I log in on Google Chrome and try to open the attached file. It works well

11-06-2015 09:02 AM
    Did you say you had called Samsung?
    11-06-2015 10:06 AM
    Ya I called them. They told me it has nothing to do with them since it works well with Gmail. This is so frustrating. I'm gonna try to reset my phone completely and see if that will work.

seeburt likes this.
    11-06-2015 10:11 AM
    I would call again and get a supervisor. That is their stock email client.
    11-06-2015 11:03 AM
    I feel your frustration! No one takes ownership! All these tweeks/updates come out to an app and the next thing you know it has your information trapped or will no longer work. I told Verizon about this issue and they looked at me like I was an *****! Luckily for me it works on GM like you posted. Good Luck!
    11-06-2015 02:36 PM
    I have the same problem with my brand new S6. No one has been able to help me thus far. They all think I am a moron. Can't open any attachment whatsoever (picture, word doc, pdf). Have you found anyone who could help?
    11-10-2015 06:58 PM
    No nothing. I called samsung again, made them log on my phone and they couldn't find the problem. They told me to call Outlook and see what happened. This is so frustrating, I receive a lot of attachment and need to be able to open it but i can't anymore. I don't understand how it just happened all of a sudden like that. I didn't do anything.
    11-10-2015 11:29 PM
    Wondering if you have found any solutions to this problem? I am trying to help someone troubleshoot their phone which is behaving the same way. Every PDF that he tries to open downloaded from email gives him the error "file read error. the file type is unsupported". I sent him a test PDF attachment that I know for a fact is valid and opens just fine on my Note 4, so the issue is definitely on his end.

He is using the Hancom Office Viewer to try to open PDFs. JPEGs also do no open if they are sent as attachments. Very frustrating

Same files open just fine if done on a PC.

Thanks in advance!
    11-13-2015 10:23 AM
    I found this thread googling. I have problem which I posted about on moto x 2013 forum. I have an outlook.com account and in last few weeks I cannot download attachments using any client on phone running exchange activesync. This includes nine, Microsoft's own outlook, and AOSP email app.

They do however work on a brand newly created outlook address.

I can however download attachments with IMAP on any client I tried with the email address that has the problem with activesync.

I cleared cache and data and removed the account from all apps then started fresh and didn't help.

If you look at recent reviews of outlook app people are complaining about it, they may think it is just that app. Unless there's more than one problem.

I get files created with 0 length which is why they appear corrupt or invalid when opening.

Edit: and BTW I can download attachments fine using outlook 2013 on my PC using activesync.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-13-2015 04:10 PM
62 123