Nothing in System Update menu responds in any way whatsoever, except Update Now. What could I have done wrong?

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Nothing in System Update menu responds in any way whatsoever, except Update Now

My Galaxy S5 is rooted and currently running stock 5.0, as it has been for several months except a brief trial with CM12.1. I like to keep my devices rooted but prefer to keep the stock OS so as not to disable such stock functionalities as the System Update menu. If I run the "Update Now" option, the phone attempts to check if there's an update but errors out due to its being rooted--and that's OK as I know that's entirely according to design.

However, nothing else on that menu works. When I say it doesn't work, I don't mean it starts to process and then throws some kind of error, but rather the menu options simply don't respond at all. I usually don't bother with the "Update Profile" function anyway, but the PRL is different as it has a real effect on how good my mobile data connection is. Over the months my device has been on stock 5.0 and rooted, I've run the PRL update through several successive PRL levels. I've also run it many more times when there was no new PRL to be had; either way the process appears to run in exactly the same way, except that the five-digit PRL number doesn't change.

Starting today, though, nothing happens when I attempt to run the "Update PRL" option. There are no error messages, toasts, or responses of any kind.This is very troubling as it's my understanding that mobile connectivity will degrade over time as the mobile infrastructure is improved and reconfigured.

Has anyone else been having problems with this? Or is there something really basic and fundamental that I've forgotten to do?

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Sorry to learn you're having problems Dark Penguin, wish I could help you but you have the carrier minority variant for Sprint, G900P, I believe and your update menu appears to be different from the stock international models from Samsung.

You are correct that rooting will throw up an error on firmware update but what PRL is, is beyond me.

I guess you have tried wiping the cache partition so, apart from a FDR, I can only but suggest a re-flash of your stock firmware and re-rooting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38