Not happy with Verizon,16GB S5 full can't install anything

BradJohnson

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I have an S5 on Verizon, 16g.
I can't install any new apps, but I've already deleted almost everything non-essential.
I have a 64g micro sd in there, but when I try to move apps to it, most won't or if they do, only of a fraction of space is saved.

There is SO MUCH BLOAT on this phone, it's ridiculous.

In the past I've easy rooted (S3, etc..) but this is 5.0, OK3 and it's obviously a pain in everybody's collective asses.
I saw a newish thread that people have mostly rooted these, but geesh that's a lot to take in...

The problem lies in that I had to uninstall mostly everything just to install Cardboard. Nothing left will move to the SD now. Can't install anything else.

Ugh. Any suggestions, short of rooting?

Last edited:

BradJohnson

May 7, 2011
Visit site
There has to be a malfunction here, even if it's only in my brain.

I don't think they made a 16g S5, so it's probably actually 32... but why does AirDroid do that?

Please help me to fix my phone? :)

Thanks

Attachments

• S5.png
    S5.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
There has to be a malfunction here, even if it's only in my brain.

I don't think they made a 16g S5, so it's probably actually 32... but why does AirDroid do that?

Please help me to fix my phone? :)

Thanks

The Verizon, G900V, model has 16GB of phone memory in total Thanks to Verizon's re-partitioning of their, "cloneware" to accommodate their extra carrier bloatware, only 10.5GB of this is available to the user. About 1.5GB less than stock Samsung firmwares worldwide. See #1.6 of 41 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide

Unfortunately, as the Verizon bloatware is mostly, "baked in", to the, "cloneware's", system partition, the only way to reclaim that space is by rooting and re-partitioning and flashing a debloated ROM. Not an option for Verizon users as this is the very reason that they have appeared to want to prevent rooting.

You could try doing a FULL WIPE+FACTORY DATA RESET as per #2.3 and #2.4 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide. This will undoubtedly clear out any accumulated, "crud", from your phone and will give you some more free memory.

You could also try installing Package Disabler Pro (Samsung) from the Play Store. Whilst it will not increase your phone's actual memory because of the re-partitioning mentioned above, it does mean that you can disable some of the bloatware and prevent updating and/or writing extra files to your phone's memory.

Last edited:

BradJohnson

May 7, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, as the Verizon bloatware is mostly, "baked in", to the, "cloneware's", system partition, the only way to reclaim that space is by rooting and re-partitioning and flashing a debloated ROM. Not an option for Verizon users as this is the very reason that they have appeared to want to prevent rooting.

Does this mean that nobody has successfully and truly rooted a Verizon S5?

I think I need a new phone.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
Last edited: