Is update worth it?

Lerxt07

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
I just got this phone & its saying the update is downloaded & ready. It's the 6.0.1 Marshmallow.
Should I update? I hesitate only because I'm reading some disturbing complaints from others about it.

Last edited:

TheRealKrafty

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I am in the U.S. on AT&T and I have not been prompted to update to Marshmallow. Where are you located and what is your carrier? I heard Marshmallow 6.0.1 is better on battery life and performance so I'm not sure about mixed reviews but I am excited to receive the update!

Posted via the Android Central App

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I just got this phone & its saying the update is downloaded & ready. It's the 6.0.1 Marshmallow.
Should I update? I hesitate only because I'm ready some disturbing complaints from others about it.

Depends on your model of Galaxy S5. There have been around 50+ different stock Samsung Marshmallow updates for the G900F, worldwide. Also a few different Marshmallow updates for the G900i and the G900M models, not to mention separate updates for a few carrier branded, U.S. minority variants.

ilewmn8

May 6, 2016
Visit site
I have an unlocked S5 and just updated to 6.0.1 Marshmallow.
I have TMobile as my phone carrier. Since the update, I no longer have 4G LTE service. Best I get is HSDPA.
My lesson learned: confirm that your carrier has rolled out the Marshmallow update, or you may have issues.
Carriers tend not to care much about supporting unlocked phones.

Paterick

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
For the Sprint S5 its definitely worth it. My phone is so much better especially since Sprint skipped the 5.1 update. My phone runs a lot smoother and has better battery life than with lollipop.

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
MM has been absolutely horrible on my S5; which it has practically degraded to the level of a Jitterbug-- the phones for people who want phones that can't do anything. I can make and receive calls. I still have mobile data and WiFi, but no longer can use apps that require the SD card in any way, shape or form, and apps don't necessarily give you the option of altering that. OS updates are deceptively attractive because we're led to believe that we'll get to enjoy something better. We blithely assume that the vendors wouldn't spend millions of dollars hiring engineers to turn flagship and near-flagship level devices into utter junk, but they have.

In short, no. It isn't worth it. In your circumstances I'd keep my new S5--which probably works very well right now--as is. If you want something new and improved, buy yourself a more powerful phone in a year or two.

cjp40

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I upgraded yesterday, after waiting patiently for months, but to be honest atm i'm disappointed. Battery life seems to be worse and quite a few apps needed updating for those to work. It's early days, maybe things will settle down but i wouldn't rush to upgrade like I did.

Lerxt07

Jun 16, 2014
Visit site
In short, no. It isn't worth it.

Wish I'd read your reply 24 hours ago, DP. Yup. I installed it. & sure enough, I'm seeing little (bad) quirks.

For starters, I'm seeing a message come & go telling me my SIM card is invalid. (I tried 2) And another recurring popup that tells me "the network ....something or other....sim card locked....reboot..."
Also, I sometimes see an exclamation mark next to the 3G bars. Not sure what that's all about, but that also seems to come & go. Though that might just be a connection issue depending on location.

Siiiighh!~ Guess I have to wait now til they debug it or can I undo it?

Dark Penguin

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
Lo, I have brought the tablets down from the mountain, or more forthrightly, I found an easy downgrade method, claimed to work for all Samsung devices. It worked perfectly for me and my S5 is back on 5.0 and fully functional. I might still root and repartition the external SD card, or perhaps I won't bother this time, opting instead to try and keep the data footprint smaller.

http://youtu.be/2unAeVRqjoQ

About the first thing Gabriel in the video instructs you to do is the old firmware DL which you can do at sammobile.com. If you don't have a paid subscription this file may take several hours to download, but once that's done the whole procedure is fairly quick and simple to follow.

When you get to the Odin flashing--in case anyone wonders what happened to the PDA slot--this is now labeled AP in Odin v3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress