Dropped phone - Fixable?

TheAsker64

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Hey,

Dropped my phone yesterday.

Now it looks like this.

Can I fix this or need to get a new phone?

Attachments

• Dropped phone.jpg
    Dropped phone.jpg
    671.2 KB · Views: 14

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Hard to tell from just a picture, but it looks like at least the whole display panel needs to be replaced. Fixable? Yes. Worth fixing? Depends on how much replacing the panel will be, and if that's indeed the only thing that got broken with the fall.

TheAsker64

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
It's spreading all over.

Looks like the 'ink' from the display leaked out and slowly spreading over the panel.

So I'm guessing it's more than just replacing the panel, as there's also something broken there that caused the initial "lead".

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If it's the 'stuff' inside the display it should be contained into the panel, so even if it 'bleeds' it should still be inside the panel. Unless it actually broke and it's leaking inside, but I think that would have caused a lot more major issues and chances are your phone wouldn't be turned on right now, or at least it'd be giving out smoke or 'burnt' odors.

Also, by panel I mean the AMOLED display panel, not just the glass on top. You might also have to replace the touch sensor if they're soldered together.

emcis

Feb 28, 2016
Visit site
Take a picture with Flash or a bright light and with the S5's screen off. Check the actual AMOLED display area for any tiny cracks (not the actual top layer of glass, but the display). If you see even one tiny crack in the AMOLED, this means that you need to replace it, or else that 'ink' will continue to spread throughout the rest of the screen until your entire AMOLED display is black...

I know this because it happened to my cousin's Galaxy S3 and also a friend's DROID RAZR MAXX (both AMOLED)

TheAsker64

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
There was something that looked like a crack at the bottom after it fell. That's also where the "ink" first came out.

Every minute that goes by my screen is covered with more and more "ink". I say about...65% of it is fully covered now.

By replace "it" you mean the AMOLED or the phone?

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Like Spook said above, all depends on the cost.

The cost to repair will probably be twice as much as buying a refurb S5.