Run 2 phones simultaneously.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I moved up to a Pixel 3 but still have a Samsung Galaxy S5. I want to give it to my wife. She has a flip phone and for whatever reason, she refuses to move to a smartphone. She's Techniphobic yet she grabs my phone to do text messages and ask questions. I'm thinking of taking the S5, changing the phone number to hers in Textra and Google, and uninstalling all the other apps. What do you think?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Tried that with my mom (because no one makes flip phones anymore). Get ready for a lot of butt dials, questions about touch screens and in-purse voicemails.

(Also don't do anything without her permission)

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I think she might use it for those 2 tasks, text messages and use the Assistant to ask web questions. If she wants to do more, like use the phone for calls, then I'll set it up differently. Thanks for your interest

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I know mthat she is determined to continue using her flip phone for calls. She's used to using my phone for text messages and use the Assistant. I'll disable the phone for calls. If she wants to use the S5 as a phone, I'll set it up. Thanks again.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
You can't keep both of them on the same number, though, unless they use the same size SIM card or you get the smaller sized one and an adapter to the larger size (a complete set is about a buck on eBay), and you're willing to keep switching it back and forth for her. Or she just uses the S5 on WiFi.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm sorry. I thought I mentioned that I was going to put her phone number on Textra and Google. Will that work without setting up a Google account. If so, I will have to ask her for her password. I wanted to set up the S5 and then surprise her. I know initially she might use it for those 2 tasks. What do you think?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
What he means is that you can set the phone like you want but the older phone will not work with the same number. Whatever phone has the SIM in it will.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I'm confused, which lately is often. Are you saying that her old flip phone will interfere if I send a text message to the S5?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
So your saying that the S5 sim must be changed from my number to hers. Can I change the sim?

Yeah if you want texts and calls to be made with her number. And like the above comment states, SIM card sizes are probably different so you'd have to get a new one in the correct size for HER number.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Oh, so I guess my idea won't work. Her LP flip phone sim is probably not the same size. When she decides she wants a new phone, I'll take them to Verizon and have them take care of it. They are both Verizon phones.
Thanks for all your help. You prevented me from making an fool of myself

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Oh, so I guess my idea won't work. Her LP flip phone sim is probably not the same size. When she decides she wants a new phone, I'll take them to Verizon and have them take care of it. They are both Verizon phones.
Thanks for all your help. You prevented me from making an fool of myself

It's not the same size, but that shouldn't matter. IF you wanna make the change, you can set up the new phone with a new SIM (just call Verizon and they can ship you a new one in the right size), get everything to how you want it on the new phone (with the new SIM BUT still without her number), including (if you have her password) the Google Account and preferences, and then when you're ready to switch, just a call to Verizon and they can transfer her phone number to the new SIM card. Done.

(You'd only have to figure out the best way to transfer the old text messages, should you want to keep them, into the new phone... if the device is too old, however, since the SIM cards aren't the same size, that might not be possible or would only be possible via Bluetooth, which in some devices has to be done painstakingly message by message).

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I doubt that old flip phone even has a SIM card in it. CDMA phones don't need SIM cards. Only the newer phones with LTE need and have SIM card.

As for SIM card size, there is zero problem trim the card down all the way to micro SiM card size. They are tools out there to do that easily. Or you can just request a new one from your carrier.

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I know that I'm a pest but I have 1 more question. My wife still wants to use the LG 6100 for phone calls. If I make the change, will Text messages go to the Samsung and phone calls to the LG? Thanks for your patience.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I know that I'm a pest but I have 1 more question. My wife still wants to use the LG 6100 for phone calls. If I make the change, will Text messages go to the Samsung and phone calls to the LG? Thanks for your patience.
You can only use one device per line for both phone calls and text

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Call me crazy but I asked my service provider, Telcel, if I could have two phones with the same numbers. I said I wanted to be able to carry one today and a different one tomorrow.

The answer was, "No. Can't be done. One phone can have two numbers but one number cannot have two phones."

My nephew had a phone stolen recently and he was concerned that someone was getting text messages and calls from his friends. I said, "I wish, then we might catch the SOB. But, I got his new SIM with his old number and the ISP said if the old SIM was being used it was shut down.