Phone keeps alternating between Wi-Fi and data

Lestah_613

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

I just got the Active less than a week ago on Friday and I'm constantly noticing that my phone keeps alternating between wifi and data. In about 6 days I have chewed up quite a bunch of my data bc of this. Is there any fix? I've rebooted it, turn bluetooth off (and keep it off), and turn airplane mode on then off. I notice it most when I open Snapchat and Hangouts. (and by this I mean, it occurs every single time I open these apps and it takes a little while to switch to wifi).

I remember last year a certain phone (can't remember which) had an issue with Swype keyboard and the users had to uninstalled Swype to get it fixed. I uninstalled Swype a few days ago but this issue still happens. I'm currently just using the Samsung keyboard.

Please help. This is frustrating and I love the phone. I don't want to take it to the buttheads at the AT&T store bc all they're gonna do is factory wipe and I already got lots of stuff on the phone....don't want to start over again.

Thank you in advance!

TCord

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Connection's Optimizer might be going a bit hairy (if the S6 model comes with CO, I haven't used one myself but my S5 had it). Try disabling it in settings and select your wifi connection again, it may help.

thetruthkc

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
This does happen to me on occasion. It was getting really bad and I really did resort to a factory wipe.

It has been better since, but I do notice it switching still, but not as often. I use package disabler to disable Swype, but it doesn't seem to be the issue.

There is a option in settings->wifi->morefor Smart Network switch that might be your issue as well.

Does this happen on all wifi access points? work/home/anywhere? I've found that at work I sit in a spot where there are several access points and they are constantly 'handing off' my connection. At home, I only have one router so I'm pretty solid from there (don't notice the 'connected to...' message as often).

Lestah_613

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I don't think this phone has optimizer and the smart switch is already turned off.

This happens regardless where I am connected to. At home or at school. I've had to increase my data plan bc of this.

hanamizi168

Oct 19, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I don't think this phone has optimizer and the smart switch is already turned off.

This happens regardless where I am connected to. At home or at school. I've had to increase my data plan bc of this.
Did you find a solution yet? I think it's happening to me also.

Lestah_613

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
No solution yet. I wonder if this happens to all Actives or just mine. Or if to all S6s. My 14 day return ends tomorrow so I have some decisions to make.

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Happens to me too....well kind of. I lose WIFI and I have to reboot the phone to get it to reconnect to WIFI
It's a pain! I usually notice it after chewing up a ton of data watching YouTube videos or something. :(

bobmurray1212

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Under WiFi setting choose more up on the top right. Scroll to smart network switch. Turn it off. That saved my data. When on the phone switches between WiFi and data to get the strongest connection.

Posted via the Android Central App

Lestah_613

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't have smart switch turned on. This happens every time I open Snapchat. It also happens here and there with other apps or sometimes when I wake the phone up. It's frustrating.

chilibit

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
My phone connects to my wifi router and then disconnects every five seconds. Dozens of other devices with all manner of OS's are stable. A half dozen are Samsung, Android and using ATT. I have tried Lean Android without no success. If a download request triggers when the wifi is not connected then it defaults to cellular. Irritating when I am sitting next to a router and it will reconnect in a few seconds. It appears that it also accelerates battery use using the radio this way.

Lestah_613

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
My phone connects to my wifi router and then disconnects every five seconds. Dozens of other devices with all manner of OS's are stable. A half dozen are Samsung, Android and using ATT. I have tried Lean Android without no success. If a download request triggers when the wifi is not connected then it defaults to cellular. Irritating when I am sitting next to a router and it will reconnect in a few seconds. It appears that it also accelerates battery use using the radio this way.

Yes, my battery life takes a big hit as this constantly happens. The irritating part is I see both symbols for Wifi and LTE on at the same time. Leads me to ask 'which one of you is working right now!'

Here's to hoping 5.1.1. (or whatever the new update we're supposed to get in the future is) will fix that ****. That or I might just have to 'break' this phone and put an insurance request on it. Maybe it's just this particular phone that's messed up. It's ironic, too, because I ditched my old phone for starting to lag when I use my apps but this stupid new phone is doing just that due to wifi/connectivity issues. ugh.

Faelach

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Yes, my battery life takes a big hit as this constantly happens. The irritating part is I see both symbols for Wifi and LTE on at the same time. Leads me to ask 'which one of you is working right now!'

Here's to hoping 5.1.1. (or whatever the new update we're supposed to get in the future is) will fix that ****. That or I might just have to 'break' this phone and put an insurance request on it. Maybe it's just this particular phone that's messed up. It's ironic, too, because I ditched my old phone for starting to lag when I use my apps but this stupid new phone is doing just that due to wifi/connectivity issues. ugh.

I wouldn't "break" it. I'd take it to the ATT store and have them connect you to their Wi-Fi, then show them what is happening. They very well might order the replacement for you. Can't hurt to try.

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

I hope 5.1.1 also fixes the Active button as well...

chilibit

Nov 5, 2015
Visit site
After a few abortive attempts my situation has improved. Ultimately I toggled the MAC address settings on the router. The settings were ostensibly correct so I changed them and then reset them to permit all MAC IDs. Rebooting the router was not effective and the firmware was current. Anecdotally then I suspect the router rather than the phone. The router is a Netgear 7550 (an ATT unique model) and such behavior has been noted previously.

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
After a few abortive attempts my situation has improved. Ultimately I toggled the MAC address settings on the router. The settings were ostensibly correct so I changed them and then reset them to permit all MAC IDs. Rebooting the router was not effective and the firmware was current. Anecdotally then I suspect the router rather than the phone. The router is a Netgear 7550 (an ATT unique model) and such behavior has been noted previously.

Glad you have seen improvement

Lestah_613

Jan 17, 2010
Visit site
Are you having issues when you press active key too? Mine started acting this week. A white screen pops up when I press it. I can't back out of it. I have to press home button then minutes later I get a message saying " it's not responding do I want to close it?"
Odd little thing but annoying bc I used to use it.