Textra or Samsung SMS?

Hughey79

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Wondering is you all are using a third party app like Textra or the stock Samsung sms app? I am using textra but wondering if the stock app would be just as good and then one could use the edge better for its purpose.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I've tried Textra, but went back to the stock app because I prefer the interface. My wife is on SMS all day and uses the stock SMS app. (Note 3, 5.0, but it should be the same app.)

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
Any advice on other cool sms alternatives? Been a while since I played around in this category.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
Had been using Textra, but have switched to the stock app, since Textra doesn't alert on the Edge screen, from what I read. I actually like the stock app better, which I wasn't expecting.

thatguy9684

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I use Verizons messaging app, Message+. I like it. Best part is you can send regular sms over wifi, I don't always get great service at my house/work so it's a huge plus for me.

bplink95

May 25, 2014
Visit site
I use Verizons messaging app, Message+. I like it. Best part is you can send regular sms over wifi, I don't always get great service at my house/work so it's a huge plus for me.

You can also log in on your pc and send and receive texts with Verizon msg plus. Nice Verizon feature.

Posted via the Android Central App

vamp07

Oct 18, 2010
Visit site
You can also log in on your pc and send and receive texts with Verizon msg plus. Nice Verizon feature.

Posted via the Android Central App
That you can accomplish with several apps. I happen to like mightytext. It does not tie you to any give messaging app either.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

sangs

Trusted Member
May 9, 2015
Visit site
iMessage is literally the ONLY thing I miss about my iPhone, since it works over wifi. I have a Microcell from AT&T and unfortunately it doesn't play nice with MMS messages and Galaxy phones.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Used to use Chomp, but support fell off after an update to KitKat or maybe Lollipop(?). I don't remember. Dev pointed me to Textra, and I really enjoyed the UI. When Textra monetized the app, I bought the Pro edition. As much as I used Chomp and Textra (enjoying both) it was worth the price.

GV/Hangouts is also very good. You can text via data (with a GV number). I've used it on aircraft and while traveling overseas (before T-Mo included international text messaging).

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Wondering is you all are using a third party app like Textra or the stock Samsung sms app? I am using textra but wondering if the stock app would be just as good and then one could use the edge better for its purpose.

Do not install this Textra junk, it causes huge lag on my Galaxy S6 edge+ that I had a very hard time troubleshooting until I restored my phone to factory settings and noticed the moment I install Textra, this lag comes up. The lag I am talking about is the random unresponsiveness of the phone when it's in standby mode and you are trying to unlock it, swiping the screen would do nothing. Uninstalled Textra and the issue never came back!

GibMcFragger

Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Do not install this Textra junk, it causes huge lag on my Galaxy S6 edge+ that I had a very hard time troubleshooting until I restored my phone to factory settings and noticed the moment I install Textra, this lag comes up. The lag I am talking about is the random unresponsiveness of the phone when it's in standby mode and you are trying to unlock it, swiping the screen would do nothing. Uninstalled Textra and the issue never came back!
Textra is running fine on mine. No lag noted so far, I'll keep an eye on it though.
I've always run Textra on all my Android phones, never had any issues.

Blipstein

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site

I ran Textra on my Note 4 and on this device with zero lag. That sucks that your experiencing that because I couldn't imagine not using Textra

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
I ran Textra on my Note 4 and on this device with zero lag. That sucks that your experiencing that because I couldn't imagine not using Textra

I love Textra man, the ability to be able to blacklist spam SMS is amazing. Wish I could use it again.

You don't see any lag right away, just give it sometime and if you ever see that when your phone is locked and you're trying to unlock it but swiping the screen does nothing for a few seconds then all those swipes start to register all at once, that's the Textra issue I'm talking about. The moment I uninstall it again, that never happens. OS is Lollipop 5.1.1 on S6 edge+

Tried many factory resets / clearing the cache partition, no luck, it is Textra.

Blipstein

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I love Textra man, the ability to be able to blacklist spam SMS is amazing. Wish I could use it again.

You don't see any lag right away, just give it sometime and if you ever see that when your phone is locked and you're trying to unlock it but swiping the screen does nothing for a few seconds then all those swipes start to register all at once, that's the Textra issue I'm talking about. The moment I uninstall it again, that never happens. OS is Lollipop 5.1.1 on S6 edge+

Tried many factory resets / clearing the cache partition, no luck, it is Textra.

Wow. I hope that doesn't happen to me because I freakin love Textra. Thanks for the heads up

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch