How are you insuring your Galaxy S6 edge?

Kyle Tate

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
What's nice about a little bit of time before the phone arrives is to figure out how to cover all your bases. After getting this sweet baby, and spending time with cases, the last thing is to have something go wrong whether a scratch, crack, or the unexpected overheated battery.

Square Trade I have never used but it is $99 for two years (they have no coverage for loss or theft).
Pros: you can pay monthly, cheapest, great reputation for 3 to 5 day turnaround, can stop at any time too $75 deductible
Cons: you are without your phone if something should happen, you have to mail it to them, no coverage for loss or theft

Best Buy: $160 for any damage over the two-year period. $250 to cover loss and theft.
Pros: you can pay all at once or you can do it monthly (you save about $30 if you pay the $160), they give you a phone to use while yours is being fixed, option for loss and theft.
Cons: I believe they have a three claim maximum, but I need to check this. If you make three claims on the phone two years you may want another phone. A little pricier

AT&T
Pros $6.99 a month will cover scratch or damage, I believe $10.99 to cover loss or theft Nice to spread it out month by month on your bill. It doesn't hit you all at once on April 10.
Cons: a $150 deductible for the first six months. Very steep! Also they reserve the right to give you a refurbished phone rather than a brand-new one. No discount to pay the whole two-year plan at once.

All of these you have 30 days from the date of purchase. Has anyone else given much thought to insurance on this phone or are you going to roll the dice? I have had AT&T twice and Best Buy twice but never had to make a claim, with this much glass on the edge I'm either going to wrap that up like Fort Knox or I'm going to make sure that I protected it. Funny thing is that it is so beautiful of the phone that this is the first time I am more concerned with theft than I am any other phone I've had. Not quite like a iPhone six points that stands out, but it is a nice looking piece of hardware.

There are also applications or software to protect your phone should somebody steal it or if you lose it, but I now turn it over to you... Thoughts?

DWS44

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I'll probably do the Best Buy plan again after the good experience I've had with it. I got it when I got my M7 and it saved me. After about a year, I dropped it and it took a pretty good hit. Amazingly the screen didn't break and still had perfect image, but the top half of the touch screen stopped responding. Took it in, and they ordered a replacement, no questions asked. I kept mine since it mostly worked until the replacement arrived a day or two later. The first replacement worked fine, but had a bad spot on the screen. I took it back and they replaced it as well, no questions asked. That one arrived and was flawless. Used it up until I bought an M8 a few weeks ago. No deductible, so the replacement didn't cost a dime.

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Squaretrade here. It nice if you switch phones often as well.

For me, the turn around time on squaretrade is one day. Even says so in the agreement.

Posted via the Android Central App

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Squaretrade here. It nice if you switch phones often as well.

For me, the turn around time on squaretrade is one day. Even says so in the agreement.

Posted via the Android Central App

Same here. I've used square trade in the past and have had nothing but good things to say. They send a replacement phone over night so the turn around time is as short as it possibly could be. Customer service is always friendly and quick to respond. Can't imagine paying more from another company to get the same thing.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Given its a crazy pricey phone I have carrier insurance on it, I am considering the Samsung 2 year warranty option I have only lost 1 phone in 20 years of cellphone use and it went into a canal and I wasn't going in after it. That said these devices are crazy pricey and need to be protected against everything including us.

Juliann826

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Wondering if anyone has the answer to this question, if you drop your phone and there are dents/scratches/cracks will squaretrade let you make a claim? Or does the damage have to affect the phone so that it's not functioning right?

Also, I noticed that Squaretrade calls their coverage plan "24 month plan", if you choose the monthly option can you cancel at any time?

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Wondering if anyone has the answer to this question, if you drop your phone and there are dents/scratches/cracks will squaretrade let you make a claim? Or does the damage have to affect the phone so that it's not functioning right?

Also, I noticed that Squaretrade calls their coverage plan "24 month plan", if you choose the monthly option can you cancel at any time?

I'm pretty sure they'd cover it for a cracked screen, but I don't know if they'd cover it for dents or scratches. I personally don't know if it would be worth filing a claim for a dent or scratch since it costs $75 and you're getting another refurb, which technically could have some scratches as well.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
If you get the accidental damage coverage it would cover you, but likely you would want to pay the deductible if the screen was broken or the back was broken, etc.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
They don't seem to specifically cover water immersion. I have dropped in water more than damaged one on the ground. A badly water damaged phone I would assume is not worth anything to the insurer.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Seems like the Best Buy service plan is not very good with the high service fees applied to their insurance claims. I use Asurion through Verizon. Their monthly costs are in line with everyone else depending on the level of protection you want and they only charge $99.00 deductible (service fee). I have used them two times now and I have no complaints on their service.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Seems like the Best Buy service plan is not very good with the high service fees applied to their insurance claims. I use Asurion through Verizon. Their monthly costs are in line with everyone else depending on the level of protection you want and they only charge $99.00 deductible (service fee). I have used them two times now and I have no complaints on their service.

What is the monthly fee? Hopefully less than $5 or you're getting ripped off. You can pay $5/month through Square Trade and have a $75 deductible.

Last edited:

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I'd never go with att. Not paying them monthly to get a refurbished piece of crap.

What is wrong with refurbished? Isn't it better than your broken device? I never understood people's issues with refurbished electronics. As long as they look new and act new...that's all I care about.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
What is wrong with refurbished? Isn't it better than your broken device? I never understood people's issues with refurbished electronics. As long as they look new and act new...that's all I care about.

Whenever I get anything refurbished, it's a piece of crap that never works. They always die in less than a week from no cause of my own. I refuse to waste money to get someone's left overs.

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
Whenever I get anything refurbished, it's a piece of crap that never works. They always die in less than a week from no cause of my own. I refuse to waste money to get someone's left overs.

I guess everybody else has their own experiences. Whenever I get a refurbished item, it works, unlike the device that I owned before that didn't. If the refurbished device that I received didn't work, I'd contact the insurance and let them know so they could send me a new one.

Or you could skip all this and keep your current broken device or pay full price for a new one.

anon(27512)

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I guess everybody else has their own experiences. Whenever I get a refurbished item, it works, unlike the device that I owned before that didn't. If the refurbished device that I received didn't work, I'd contact the insurance and let them know so they could send me a new one.

Or you could skip all this and keep your current broken device or pay full price for a new one.

TL;DR: I don't like T-Mobile, "insurance programs" or refurbished electronics.

The worst experience I ever had with carrier insurance was with t-mobile. Back when the Blackberry Curve 8900 was the new hotness, I ordered a brand new one online using my upgrade. It came, was an obvious refurbished unit. I called and complained they sent me a new one. Again, was a refurbished unit. This time it was more obvious because it looked like the kid from mask when it arrived and nothing worked. Wouldn't even turn on. I called again, this time I got sent a real, new working model. I drop this one, and the screen breaks. I call again, get a refurb unit (this time however it is expected..). But again, it doesn't work. I call T-Mobile and they refuse to do anything because I've had "too many of them". I responded with ya, I agree with you. I agree that I've had to deal with too many crappy broken curve 8900's because you refuse to give me what I paid and upgraded to originally.

Any way, end rant.

Nice N Sticky

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
I normally go with AT&T but it seems like squaretrade is a pretty good service. I have yet to recieve my phones but I got one for me and one for my wife. Does anyone know if I have to get a seperate policy for each of us or if I can cover two phones under my name.