Damaged Micro USB Cable: Do I Need to Buy Samsung Cable for Fast Charging?

enduro

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi all.

I've had my S6 Edge for just under 12 months now and over last few months have noticed odd things happening with charging which include the phone actually discharging while on charge. I suspect it is my OEM (Original Equip. Manufacturer) charge cable as on inspection the wire on the micro USB end has slightly browned. When I charge my S6 Edge using my Galaxy Tab 2 I have no such charging issues but it does charge slowly.

A while back, I accidentally mixed up the micro USB cables, but not the chargers and was charging my Tab with the S6 cable and I recall a "charging slowly - plug in your original charger" message coming up at time. This might indicate that the S6 needs a proprietary cable for charging.

So the primary question: to use fast charging, do I need to use the Samsung proprietary cable to access fast charging? I now need a replacement.

Tech-Newb

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
Nope, but you will need a high quality cable. A low quality cable can't handle quick charging. Doesnt have to be an OEM cable but just a high quality/standard cable will be enough.

Posted with ❤Love❤

neebi007

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi all.

I've had my S6 Edge for just under 12 months now and over last few months have noticed odd things happening with charging which include the phone actually discharging while on charge. I suspect it is my OEM (Original Equip. Manufacturer) charge cable as on inspection the wire on the micro USB end has slightly browned. When I charge my S6 Edge using my Galaxy Tab 2 I have no such charging issues but it does charge slowly.

A while back, I accidentally mixed up the micro USB cables, but not the chargers and was charging my Tab with the S6 cable and I recall a "charging slowly - plug in your original charger" message coming up at time. This might indicate that the S6 needs a proprietary cable for charging.

So the primary question: to use fast charging, do I need to use the Samsung proprietary cable to access fast charging? I now need a replacement.
Answer : no.
Fast charging is done via the adopter usb cable have no role in it. Any cable u got will do the job as long as your adopter works.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
which include the phone actually discharging while on charge.
If the charge current - which is fixed, and set by the design of the phone - is smaller than the amount of current the phone is using (which is rare), the battery will continue to dischare even though it's on the charger. (Charge current = current coming into the phone - current being used by the phone.)

I suspect it is my OEM (Original Equip. Manufacturer) charge cable as on inspection the wire on the micro USB end has slightly browned. When I charge my S6 Edge using my Galaxy Tab 2 I have no such charging issues but it does charge slowly.
That sounds like a problem in the S6, not in the cable. Brown usually means that too much current for that size wire was flowing in the wire.

Sort of. Samsung plays with the extra pins on th microUSB connector to tell the phone different things - like USB/AC charge, or fast/normal charge.

So the primary question:
to use fast charging, do I need to use the Samsung proprietary cable to access fast charging? I now need a replacement.
As everyone says, there are probably good replacements - but not a $5 cable. And a good replacement might cost almost as much as an original Samsung.

enduro

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Since my initial post in this thread, I limped along with a couple of non-OEM cables that I had around.

The other week I purchased two potentially good quality cables (https://www.mwave.com.au/product/startech-2m-white-micro-usb-cable-a-to-micro-b-ab64790) and testing shows they will neither allow data transfer from my PC to the S6 or Samsung tablet. Neither will they permit fast charging.

can someone suggest a good quality cable?

InSneak

Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
My troubleshooting with 7 different cables showed me that the the very new Samsung charger cables that came with non-fast-charging phones did not fast charge when connected to the fast charger adapter portion while. It appears that the cable does in fact matter. I tried many combinations of cables and adapters during my testing.