My phone suddenly stopped working

Ericestrella

Sep 20, 2017
Visit site
Okay so I'm going to try to be as detailed as possible. I noticed my phone was acting kinda slow, so I held the power button and then clocked restart to restart the phone. It gave me the usual restart screens but at the point where it was supposed to go from a black screen to the usual Samsung/T-Mobile boot up screens, this did not happen. The screen just stayed black and never fully restarted. I tried to hold all different kinds of button combinations like Volume Up+Home+Power for 10-15 seconds to see if I could get any sort of response out of it. But then all of a sudden I got the Samsung boot up screen and then it brought me to a screen that said it was installing an update. But then it seemed like this update failed, as the screen then showed the exclamation point in a yellow triangle logo with the words "Command not found." Can someone please help?

My phone is a Galaxy S6 Edge and my carrier is T-Mobile

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Sounds like you are in recovery mode. If you long press (hold) the power button, it should turn the device off and then you can turn it on normally again. Some devices need a combo button push to get out again.. Power, home and both volumes is one...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Volume up-Home-Power is the recovery screen.
Volume down-Home-Power is the download screen (for Odin installs).
Long (15-30 seconds) power for something like pulling the battery (it doesn't restart the hardware, though).

If you still can't get it to boot normally, bring it to a TMobile store. It's their update that caused it, so it's a liability issue, not a warranty issue. (I had AT&T replace a 2 year old phone for that.) If they can't help you, ask for the tech support number at TMobile. (That's the route I had to go with AT&T.)

Evidently the update failed for some unknown reason. (A rooted phone just goes through the motions, then reports that it couldn't update, so it's not that.) Since TMobile is responsible for their updates, let them worry about it. (You'll lose all the additions to the phone that you made since you got it, so I hope that you have everything important backed up to something other than the phone.) If you want to try fixing it yourself, see [Samsung] How to flash Stock ROM via ODIN. Again, you'll lose everything, but you'll lose only about 15 minutes, instead of maybe 15 days. (Although if you're lucky, TMobile will overnight you a new S6E.)