Samsung Galaxy S6 Get Ready - Price is going to be a shocker

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Re: Get Ready - Price is going to be a shocker

With regards to the s pen, my understanding is that you have to have a tw based rom, otherwise the s pen might not function fully.
In regards to the S-Pen, I'm not sure if the Note phone line is different, but I have a Note 8.0 WiFi edition. I flashed CM on it and the spen still worked as a device for input. However, I lost some of the functionality that worked with it. For example, apps worked ok with it such as Papyrus, but using the pen to draw carry out a task like copy and paste an image, no longer worked. I'm trying to explain how you can use the spen to draw a circle around something on the screen to copy it and then you can paste that image somewhere else. I hope that makes senses as for some reason I'm having difficulty explaining it.

In short, apps still worked with the spen, but I lost some of the little tweaks that appear to be baked into Samsung's ROM.
appreciate it!

Maybe sammy did imposed limitation and put some fundamental drivers into TW package. Would be good to know exactly what it is, so maybe developers can extract it and make s-pen function w/o TW.

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

appreciate it!

Maybe sammy did imposed limitation and put some fundamental drivers into TW package. Would be good to know exactly what it is, so maybe developers can extract it and make s-pen function w/o TW.

I do know that Samsung offers and spen SDK for developers to get their apps to work with the spen, but I haven't heard anything about it providing access to do the things baked into the ROM. Would be cool that if developers could bring that functionality across all ROMs. Would make my Note 8.0 not feel like such a paperweight.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site

500? First hard drive ever was a 10 megabyte hard drive on an mfm controller for an xt pc. My next hard drive was the 80 megabyte that came with my 386 sx. Thought I would never fill either of those 2 early drives but was just as wrong as Bill Gates saying that we would never need more than 640 k of RAM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I just remember my first hard-drive and thinking how huge it was then. :)

Climb14er

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

Yeah... my first HD was 10mb... when it jumped to 20mb then 30mb... I felt astonished.

Just like my first cellular phone, McCaw Cellular plan... THIRTY minutes for fifty bucks.

We've come a really long way!

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site

The S Pen features are part of TouchWiz on the Note line. You can't have the S Pen specific features without TouchWiz. Not sure why that's hard to understand.
Not sure if it's developers that don't take advantage or Samsung blocks them from doing so but the s pen is this
http://www.wacom-components.com/english/technology/emr.html
and according to Android Authority all apps are capable of using the s pen but just don't.
http://www.androidauthority.com/break-it-down-how-does-the-s-pen-work-154435/

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Not sure if it's developers that don't take advantage or Samsung blocks them from doing so but the s pen is this
Wacom Components : Input Technology : EMR® Technology
and according to Android Authority all apps are capable of using the s pen but just don't.
Break It Down - How Does The S Pen Work?

Chicken vs. egg problem. I feel that unless Samsung is going to help market your app because of an S Pen feature, it doesn't make sense for most developers to build in support.

That said, on the Note line of phones, there are features in TouchWiz that you need the S Pen for.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

sure, what is it then? and what make s-pen stop function w/o TW?
TouchWiz is Samsung's version of Android. It includes all of their apps, security features like Knox which prevent you from flashing non-Samsung firmware, among other things. The S-Pen stops working without TouchWiz because it requires the framework that Samsung included in their ROM. That's why you can still get some features to work when you change launchers

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

We still talking about price? I will buy the 128 GB version. I figure since it's already costing a small fortune might as well go full bore! Besides, after spending so much...what's a couple of hundred more? Also, just think of resale people...more money out front is going to mean more money coming back.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

Since the rumored prices are putting the Edge about $150 more than the equivalent S6, here is probably something closer to reality.... taken from my OP.

On Contract price

Galaxy S6 32GB -- $200 -- iPhone6 16GB
Galaxy S6 64GB -- $300 -- iPhone6 64GB
Galaxy S6 128GB -- $400 -- iPhone6 128GB

Edge version:

S6 Edge 32GB -- $350
S6 Edge 64GB -- $450
S6 Edge 128GB -- $550

That is insane.

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

What do you think that means for the price of the handset purchase alone?

corye

May 30, 2010
Visit site

Since the rumored prices are putting the Edge about $150 more than the equivalent S6, here is probably something closer to reality.... taken from my OP.

On Contract price

Edge version:

S6 Edge 32GB -- $350
S6 Edge 64GB -- $450
S6 Edge 128GB -- $550

That is insane.

I like the look of the Edge, but there's no way I'm paying an extra $150 for it. I think $50 is my cut-off point.

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

I like the look of the Edge, but there's no way I'm paying an extra $150 for it. I think $50 is my cut-off point.

I think to justify the R&D, design and production costs of bringing out a more desirable phone which has the same specs as another model in their line, they would definitely have to charge $150+ more for it to make it a profitable product

corye

May 30, 2010
Visit site

I think to justify the R&D, design and production costs of bringing out a more desirable phone which has the same specs as another model in their line, they would definitely have to charge $150+ more for it to make it a profitable product

Makes sense, but the cost isn't worth the questionable benefits to me yet. The price will drop eventually, so maybe when the S7 or S8 comes out, the price jump will be minimal enough for me to take the leap.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Plan on selling my GS4 and using a Best Buy gift card to get the 64GB for the 32GB price.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

STEVESKI07

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

On Contract price

Edge version:

S6 Edge 32GB -- $350
S6 Edge 64GB -- $450
S6 Edge 128GB -- $550

That is insane.

It's just a guess, but I think the on contract price will probably only be a $100 difference. I think the full retail price will be $150 more.

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site

I have just looked at the prices of the Note 4 Edge here in the UK and the prices are scarily high compared to the newly announced M9.

I hope that the S6 Edge isn't inline with the Note 4 Edge pricing :confused:

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

I have just looked at the prices of the Note 4 Edge here in the UK and the prices are scarily high compared to the newly announced M9.

I hope that the S6 Edge isn't inline with the Note 4 Edge pricing :confused:

Saw an article where the M9 heated to more than 130 degrees Fahrenheit. Talk about a hot phone.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S4 Handheld Device

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38