Samsung Galaxy S6 Way to go Samsung!

scgf

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Re: Way to go Samsung!

I decided I wanted a removable battery and sd card so I bought an LG G3 with 16GB RAM. I am a heavy phone user and struggled to fill anywhere near 16GB. I bought a spare battery and charger and never used it. I tried to put things on the SD card but was doing it only because I had the facility. Barely scratched the surface. All my stuff is in the cloud and I stream audio and video when needed. I managed to fill around 9GB of the internal memory, and less than 1GB of the external SD card, and I really tried, lol.

For me the S6 looks perfect and I can't wait for it to arrive SIM-free in the UK.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

The S6 and S6 Edge are gorgeous. Good job Samsung.

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

I hope it flops would be very well deserved. Instead of listening to the "I don't care my handy is like fashion crowd" Samsung should have listened to their existing customer base.

Ooh well hopefully the same thing doesn't happen to the Note line-up.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I hope it flops would be very well deserved. Instead of listening to the "I don't care my handy is like fashion crowd" Samsung should have listened to their existing customer base.

The existing customer base has been clamoring for something like this since the S4. Samsung teased it with the Alpha line and now it's here in the Galaxy S line proper.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site

I think they will retain micro sd and removable battery in Note 5 because phablet is somewhat different category and its large form factor allows for those. I think this is how they will differentiate two lines going forward, S for slim uni-body loving folks and Note for folks loving large screen, feature richness.

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

The existing customer base has been clamoring for something like this since the S4. Samsung teased it with the Alpha line and now it's here in the Galaxy S line proper.

Alpha still had a removable back and despite the oh so premium design it didn't sell well at all.

The best thing would have been to put real leather on the back it's premium and removable..Ooh yeah but the phone would have been a but thicker then big deal lol.

I mean I hope everybody who buys it enjoys the experience don't get me wrong but I terms of precedent a flop would be nice going forward premium and functionality aren't exclusive they can work really well together I.e. Note 4, g3

anon(749368)

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site

The lack of removable battery is definitely off putting. I have a spare on my S5 and that's awesome, when I get home I just swap it out and I'm good to go. On the iPhone 6, ahem.... I mean on the Galaxy s6, I would have to hug a wall to get some juice in before heading out again. I'm really disappointed in Samsung (I know a lot of people are super excited about this device), they took configuration and design cues from Apple. Just hope the note 5 will not go in the same direction.

Posted via the Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Alpha still had a removable back and despite the oh so premium design it didn't sell well at all.

The best thing would have been to put real leather on the back it's premium and removable..Ooh yeah but the phone would have been a but thicker then big deal lol.

I mean I hope everybody who buys it enjoys the experience don't get me wrong but I terms of precedent a flop would be nice going forward premium and functionality aren't exclusive they can work really well together I.e. Note 4, g3

The Alpha was never meant to be a volume model. I saw it more as a test.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

The Alpha was never meant to be a volume model. I saw it more as a test.
I don't think the Alpha's back was removable.

Also, I'm sure there will be a Mophie-type battery case for the S6, and TBH, they could easily add an SD card to it. Remember I said that when it comes out.

G3 📱🍭

abackholm

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site

You can, of course, get back to the Nokia era, by turning off all the background activity (e.g. restrict background data) in your device. Without actual use, the modern phones are amazing - consuming something in the order of 5-6mA or even less - which would mean that 2550mAh S6 battery lasts a whopping half a month. Of course, that's not fair - we didn't buy smartphones just to play Snake...

biggunspaul

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Waterproof for what exactly? 99 percent of phones are not waterproof and people are not asking for a waterproof phone. Why add a cost that won't add to sales.

Not being funny but are you simple or something ? You are asking me waterproof for what,mmm how about water ! The clue is in the word.

If it's examples you want of in what situations a phone may get wet then why don't you try and use your own imagination.

Do you know how many phones get damaged due to water,so many that mobile firms put water indicators in their devices to get out of warranty claims.

Anyway I was on about what I'd like and not what you and the other 99% of people want.funny enough I base my wants on what I want.

My wants for a waterproof device can't be that odd seeing Samsung gave water protection to the S5

Last edited:

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

How can you say that when it wasn't even available on the nation's biggest carrier?

I can say that because Samsung itself decided to scratch tthat thing, meaning their will not be the Alpha 2 or whatever they would have named it. Yeah it had a premium build but it seriously lacked in other features (micro SD card, CPU and resolution only 720p for a premium phone seriously?).

I don't know what it is with Samsung but they really should take a look back and think about what made them great and then put it all together instead of creating such a user unfriendly phone.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

I don't know what it is with Samsung but they really should take a look back and think about what made them great and then put it all together instead of creating such a user unfriendly phone.

User unfriendly phone for YOU. This thing will be a smash hit. Plenty of phones sell without SD cards or replaceable batteries. Personally this is the first Sammy phone I'd consider since the GS3, it's that good.

Most people don't have battery or storage issues, just the fringe heavy users.

KJ78

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

People hate too much on a non-removable battery. It's not that hard to prepare to have alternate power source if you think you'll need it.

Keep it simple....

Some of us like to buy an extended battery and never worry about if we forgot it at home or if it's still charged.

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

User unfriendly phone for YOU. This thing will be a smash hit. Plenty of phones sell without SD cards or replaceable batteries. Personally this is the first Sammy phone I'd consider since the GS3, it's that good.

Most people don't have battery or storage issues, just the fringe heavy users.

Mind telling me the lottery numbers too ? You really don't get it people buy Samsung phones because they have some preferences and expectations ...but I'm glad Samsung might bring back the - like one XDA member put it - "design" over functions crowd thought they've already gone to all the "premium" toys ...must be fun paying over 700 $ and not being able to fix a bad battery or add storage yup keep it simple lol.

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site

This is the first Samsung phone I've considered buying since the Galaxy Nexus. Currently I have a 2014 Moto X.

Personally, I think some make a bigger deal out of the SD card and removable battery because they've always had it. I haven't had either in over two years and I've noticed two several things:

1. When I didn't have an SD card anymore, I found most of the things I kept on the SD card I never used all that much, if at all. Music I never listened to, movies I never watched, and old pictures I never looked at were kept on that SD card. Instead of storing everything on my phone in case I need it, I put on my phones things I will actually use and even with that I probably have too much on my phone. I have a 32GB phone now and plenty of room.

2. The removable battery really caters to heavy users - folks looking at 5 or 6 hours or more of SOT. Most phones today can get you through the day on normal usage. Unplug in the morning and plug back in at night. My Moto X (which by many measures is average at best with the battery) can go 16 - 18 hours without issue. If I feel I might need more than that, then I put it on a charger or battery for a half hour, and I'm good to go. In 2+ years without a removable battery, I've only had a phone go dead once. I plan ahead just like I always did, but instead of bringing an extra battery I just bring my portable battery and things are fine.

Now that the S6 has moved away from the SD card and removable battery, I think you will each of these becoming more niche features than mainstream. Maybe LG will keep one or both, as will HTC to some extent.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95