Why I think no removable batter/MicroSD is a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
The same logic hasn't hurt Apple 1 bid folks need to get over the no SD card no removable battery thing

Posted via the Android Central App

Sure it has. Apple's inflexibility has cost it lots of market share. Big screen, batteries, SD cards. That's how Apple went from being the company that popularized the category and completely dominated it to the company that is in a dogfight.

I love that "people got to get over it" thing. Again, not everyone's needs are the same. Because it is not important to you, does not mean it is unimportant to me.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Honestly you guys are arguing over nothing -- NO one knows how it will work out. Will they lose SOME customers? Of course we can assume that .. but to lose a ton? Maybe they will .. maybe they won't .. but we can't really know.

Example for me .. Do I like a removable battery? For sure --- Without it ... will that cause me to not buy a product? No.

So you like removable batteries but if LG offers a comparable phone with one, that won't sway your buying decision? Well, ok. But it sure will change mine. As I've already demonstrated from my own personal anecdote, I'm quite content ditching companies that do not provide the features I want.

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Samsung should then eliminate the Samsung Ativ line of Windows phones. This will free up some manufacturing capacity and streamline marketing and support.

Unless they have a deal with Microsoft that pays them something or helps them in other areas of their business. I'm not going to pretend to know Samsung's business contracts, manufacturing costs, marketing costs, carrier contracts, etc. But I will say that I don't believe it is as simple as saying make a third version of a phone.

unashamedgeek

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
So you like removable batteries but if LG offers a comparable phone with one, that won't sway your buying decision? Well, ok. But it sure will change mine. As I've already demonstrated from my own personal anecdote, I'm quite content ditching companies that do not provide the features I want.

So that would mean you place battery over size. For me the removable battery would be nice, but the LG is going to be at least 5.5" and that is too big for me. I prefer something that fits me comfortably over a removable battery.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I have a Note 4. It is 5.7

If I can't find a phone with a big screen that has removable batteries and sd card slots. I'll buy a Nexus. Less expensive. Bigger.

Yes, they're going to "gain customers by taking features away." Because the customer doesn't see it that way. They added a lot more than they subtracted here. .

You misinterpret the market and the point. IN point of fact, it then doesn't just become Samsung against Samsung. At that point, I'm looking for companies that do what I want and I no longer care whether it is Samsung. I'm no longer tied to Samsung. I'll be auditioning lots of things. If Samsung thinks that is a good situation to create, good for them. I disagree.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Correct. I like them .. I use them (Note 4) .. It is convenient but is isn't a "need" for me... I can find other means if I am that desperate :).

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Unless they have a deal with Microsoft that pays them something or helps them in other areas of their business. I'm not going to pretend to know Samsung's business contracts, manufacturing costs, marketing costs, carrier contracts, etc. But I will say that I don't believe it is as simple as saying make a third version of a phone.

The important thing is that you have no problem eliminating the Ativ.

If Samsung is obligated to make phones for Microsoft, then we can streamline other portions of Samsung's lineup.

Perhaps it would be better for Samsung to discontinue the Galaxy A5, Grand Prime, E7, A7, A3, Core II, Grand 2, Core Prime, E5, Grand Neo, Grand Max, J1, Galaxy V, Ace 4, Young 2, Mega 2, Mega 6, or Star 2 Plus.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I have a Note 4. It is 5.7

If I can't find a phone with a big screen that has removable batteries and sd card slots. I'll buy a Nexus. Less expensive. Bigger.

You misinterpret the market and the point. IN point of fact, it then doesn't just become Samsung against Samsung. At that point, I'm looking for companies that do what I want and I no longer care whether it is Samsung. I'm no longer tied to Samsung. I'll be auditioning lots of things. If Samsung thinks that is a good situation to create, good for them. I disagree.

If they gain 3 customers for every one that they lose, then it is a good situation. For them. They frankly don't care about you in particular, they care about the majority of the market.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z3 using Tapatalk.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have not had an SD card or removable battery in a while. With quick charging I have not had any issues with batteries. If there is 64GB of internal storage available, I am good to go.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It's funny I have small hands but still hate thin phones. Too difficult to hold. Too easy to drop. Even my note 3 is too thin for me. I put it in a gigunda case so it has some edges to grip. I do not understand this obsession with the thinnest possible phone. You want to try to use a keyboard on a phone as thin as a playing card? It may look pretty but my next otterbox will cover it up anyway.

Glenn Sager

Feb 2, 2015
Visit site
For all of these "Removable battery is a must!" people, are you all just going to stick with a note 4?

How long do your extra batteries last in your pocket? One guy said in a tropical storm, he could use batteries to get him by for a week..... Yeah right. How many spare batteries do you keep? 9? If the phone is your only electronic working, it will be a dead battery in 6 hours from constant and continuous use. You will need about 18 to make it a week with no charger. Disaster plan, this is not.

An external charger is too bulky but a pocket full of batteries is not? This is huge stretch here. For the guy who has no charger at work, so he comes home and pops in a new battery, then he can head back out right? Well, what are you doing on the train? Plug in that external charger. What if you drive? Plug in your phone. What do we non Samsung users do? Well, I dunno, we make it though.

20+gb of music, 15g of movies, 12 GB of pictures, and 5 GB of docs your SD card??? Whoa. Packrat much? You trust all of that to only exist on your phone? This is poor planning. Phones are too little. Phones are lost, stolen. dropped in toilets, etc. Why is your whole life on your phone only?

You can't pop a hot battery????? Why is your battery hot? The only phone I ever had this issue with was my Epic, GS2 and GS3. Once I left Samsung, I never had this issue again. This is not a thing with the rest of the world. Your phone should never get so hot that you need to pop your battery out and run away before it explodes.

I remember from my Galaxy days, that the SD card kept getting scanned, constantly, causing a wake lock. I think the was "Media Scanner" under the battery stats. My phone did it, wife's phone, best friend's phone, both kids' phones. All of them. We all had to constantly remove the SD card, reformat and put the files back on one by one to see what file was causing it. This was even an issue on all of our Galaxy Tabs. Once wewent Nexus and Moto X, this never happened again.

SD cards are great ideas, but terrible with these Android phones. Removable batteries and SD cards both are not needed. Wireless charging is a great addition to the puzzle also.

Besides the above, where you all going to go? What will you do? What phones has SD card slots anymore? Note 4? Older LG phones? Chinese phones?

It is good that you know how we all should use our phones and can tell us that batteries and SD slots are not needed. Thank god for you.

The Note 4 is doing quite well for me. While you are right that there are options to having a removable battery, such as having a portable charge pack, it is more convenient to have a battery I can put in and not have an extra large case or cord dangling from the phone when I need to charge it. As others have pointed out, when a phone reaches the 2 year mark, the battery starts to lose effective charging. A new battery solves that. If you have a sealed case, you either take it in and pay a fee to replace the battery ($80 for an iPhone for example) or buy a new phone. These are examples of why I like having a removable battery.

SD card...you make fun of someone for having a lot of stuff on his SD card. First, he bever said that is the only place it is stored, and I would tend to doubt that is the case. I have a lot of music and videos on my SD card. They are also on the cloud and on my computer. Having it on an SD card means I can access it without using any data or wi-fi and it does not take space on the phone itself. Perhaps there were problems with SD cards at one time. I have not experienced any since the GS2. You say you had all these issues with every type of galaxy device you ever owned and yet you kept using the SD card. How come?

In the end, to me, taking away options is not a good thing. If you do not want to use the SD card no one is forcing you to. If you never want to change out your battery no one is forcing you to. Some of us want that option and will use devices that offer it to us. If the Note line does not have the option in the future, I myself would need to weigh which is more important, these options or the S Pen since that would become the only differentiator for the Note line of phones.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
So that would mean you place battery over size. For me the removable battery would be nice, but the LG is going to be at least 5.5" and that is too big for me. I prefer something that fits me comfortably over a removable battery.
They still S4 and S5. You can go with one of those if you don't want to leave Samsung.

from the Note Edge📱📏

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
If they gain 3 customers for every one that they lose, then it is a good situation. For them. They frankly don't care about you in particular, they care about the majority of the market.

If Samsung makes multiple versions of the S6, they don't lose any customers at all. The customers just buy what they want and everyone is happy, especially Samsung.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
If Samsung makes multiple versions of the S6, they don't lose any customers at all. The customers just buy what they want and everyone is happy, especially Samsung.
What if all those multiple versions don't sell well? Then there is wasted product.

from the Note Edge📱📏

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site

Bingo...the bigger phones are not for me. I'm hoping the G4 comes in a smaller size, if not it's Sammy for me.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hey, how do you like the Note Edge?

As for your question, I am confident in Samsung's capability to manage inventory.
I like it. The Edge panel mostly gets used for notifications but its a nice phone. I feel likebir does everything I could want and I love the size.

Yeah, you're right Samsung does indeed know how to manage inventory. Well, we still may see an S6 Active with removables. Was the S5 Active announced and launched at the same time as the S5 last year?

from the Note Edge📱📏

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I like it. The Edge panel mostly gets used for notifications but its a nice phone. I feel likebir does everything I could want and I love the size.

Yeah, you're right Samsung does indeed know how to manage inventory. Well, we still may see an S6 Active with removables. Was the S5 Active announced and launched at the same time as the S5 last year?

from the Note Edge📱📏

That's great that you like the Note Edge. You can see why some people are passionate about Samsung phones.

The Samsung Galaxy S5 Active was announced in May 2014. The regular Galaxy S5 was announced in February 2014.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung withheld announcing a Samsung Galaxy S6 Active to build up hype. That model may have a removable battery and micro SD in addition to the standard resistance to water and dust that the Active line normally has.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
That's great that you like the Note Edge. You can see why some people are passionate about Samsung phones.

The Samsung Galaxy S5 Active was announced in May 2014. The regular Galaxy S5 was announced in February 2014.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung withheld announcing a Samsung Galaxy S6 Active to build up hype. That model may have a removable battery and micro SD in addition to the standard resistance to water and dust that the Active line normally has.
With an S6 Active, with removables, wouldn't everyone be happy?

from the Note Edge📱📏

Status
Not open for further replies.