GS6 Hands On Videos - Keep Them Coming

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

That was one of the most thorough comparisons I have ever seen. If anyone is considering an iPhone vs Galaxy S6, this is the video to watch.

A couple thoughts...

He said at the beginning that his phone was slightly bent. I could not see it in the video, but this IMO is unacceptable. I have perused the iMore forums for the 6+ bending issues, and they are firmly of the belief that this is always user abuse of the device, and nothing wrong with the manufacturing. Take that as you may, but this is not the 6+ it's a regular iPhone 6.

The Samsung did seem to have better viewing angles. This was apparent when he put both down in landscape. Though to the iPhone's credit it was at a greater angle so that is to be expected. Regardless, the S6 had the better viewing angle no question.

Let the pitchforks fly ... because I truly did not realize how similar the two phones were until I watched this video. Not just the bottom of the phones, but the actual software and user experience. Say what you may, but Samsung definitely copied Apple here. If you can't see it, then maybe I am just nuts. The Parallax wallpaper? Come on man! If you think Samsung did not copy Apple, you are delusional.

With that said, and after watching this video, I am really torn between these two great phones. The iPhone performs on par with the S6. The camera and video was very similar (even though I am not a fan of 8MP c'mon Apple WTF). The Screen on the S6 is killer. The idea of Themes are killer. The Apple UI is killer. iTunes I'm sure is still a pile of poo. I think if you flipped a coin you could not go wrong with either.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
The Apple UI is killer. iTunes I'm sure is still a pile of poo.

I'll watch the comparison tonight, very interested to see the performance differences.

With that said, the Apple UI while it works flawless gives ZERO customization options...I mean you cant even leave gaps between the apps (lets say you wanted to have the screens just have icons at the bottom, i use this method on my Android). While I wont knock Apple and iOS for running like a champ, I find the lack of customization (like literally none) annoying, considering its 2015. Both are definitely gonna be great phones, you cant go wrong with either as a general smartphone user. I had my share fun with iOS7 on an iPhone 5S, and now my wife has the 5S running iOS8 which works great...but man...add some customization!!! And ya, the camera software in the iPhone platform is stellar.

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'll watch the comparison tonight, very interested to see the performance differences.

With that said, the Apple UI while it works flawless gives ZERO customization options...I mean you cant even leave gaps between the apps (lets say you wanted to have the screens just have icons at the bottom, i use this method on my Android). While I wont knock Apple and iOS for running like a champ, I find the lack of customization (like literally none) annoying, considering its 2015. Both are definitely gonna be great phones, you cant go wrong with either as a general smartphone user. I had my share fun with iOS7 on an iPhone 5S, and now my wife has the 5S running iOS8 which works great...but man...add some customization!!! And ya, the camera software in the iPhone platform is stellar.

Good point. I usually have the apps I use most often on the lower right side. In iOS, you would have to fill the screen with apps and then arrange them accordingly.

And yes I agree -- it's 2015 let people put apps in the springboard where they want. One note - looks like you can fit more apps on a screen on iOS. Custom launcher on Android will fix that obviously.

You should not have to jailbreak your iPhone to put an icon where you want. Ridic.

Side note -- I am now torn between the two. Dang it.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Good point. I usually have the apps I use most often on the lower right side. In iOS, you would have to fill the screen with apps and then arrange them accordingly.

And yes I agree -- it's 2015 let people put apps in the springboard where they want. One note - looks like you can fit more apps on a screen on iOS. Custom launcher on Android will fix that obviously.

You should not have to jailbreak your iPhone to put an icon where you want. Ridic.

Side note -- I am now torn between the two. Dang it.

I watched up until 22 mins and now I see why you took an interest in the iPhone. It performed a lot of the tasks faster than the S6, I'm actually really surprised considering the processor and internals comparisons. I notice he didn't focus on how the iPhone 6 was loading webpages, apps and even transitions much faster. I'll definitely watch more comparisons with these two phones.

Posted via the Android Central App

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I watched up until 22 mins and now I see why you took an interest in the iPhone. It performed a lot of the tasks faster than the S6, I'm actually really surprised considering the processor and internals comparisons. I notice he didn't focus on how the iPhone 6 was loading webpages, apps and even transitions much faster. I'll definitely watch more comparisons with these two phones.

Posted via the Android Central App

It just goes to show, you can put as much power in to the hardware as you want, but you can't beat Apple's optimization.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
It just goes to show, you can put as much power in to the hardware as you want, but you can't beat Apple's optimization.

With Exynos chipset and the device being optimized for it, the GS6 marks a pretty nice step forward. It is also an advantage that Samsung can start to control more of its own production and development process depending less and less on third parties for components. This advantage will become more apparent going forward. Apple makes a great device no doubt but they are slow to react and take more of a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality when their fans are screaming for more features and experiences found currently in Android devices like the GS6. Not saying that they would suffer the fate of RIM. It would take a lot for them to alienate the fan base so used to Apple.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site

Just asking. Is it also possible that the GS6 being compared to a production unit of Apple still is a non-production unit?

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I am looking forward to reviews from sites like Mobile Tech Review who typically uses production units from all four major carriers and reviews them. They also use them in smackdowns or device comparison reviews.

Alex_NJ

Mar 10, 2015
Visit site
I disagree that Apple fans are screaming for more features which android has.

Most of my friends have iPhones and never mention lack of features