Galaxy S6 Battery Review from a Real User

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm looking forward to see what the developers can do.

Posted via S5 or Turbo.

You and me both. Seriously, I think the theme, if it's a dark theme, can save you big time on battery. Almost like going back to the old BlackBerry days with themes.... hated when they got rid of those.

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
You and me both. Seriously, I think the theme, if it's a dark theme, can save you big time on battery. Almost like going back to the old BlackBerry days with themes.... hated when they got rid of those.

Heck yeah! Had some good ones (at least good ones for the time period) back in the BB days!

mountainman

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
As old RIM user, I remember those days.

Ahhh... the good old days...

I think we are underestimating the themes. This is going to do more to personalize the device without rooting or 3rd party launcher. Plus if you like dark themes, hell, even if you don't like dark themes, you may like them anyway if it increases battery life.

Myself, I'm a dark theme guy. I like Black phones. Black cars. Tinted windows. Dark clothing.

I don't usually bash Apple -- and with their LCD screens it doesn't matter anyway, but the only theme you can do on an unjailbroken i-device is changing the wallpaper. BlackBerry had this on the 8330 Curve (and devices even b4 that). I am happy Samsung is bringing it with the new version of the Wiz. It's something that can really alter the look of your device. Something where you can make the device your own. And yes, something with the Super AMOLED which can affect, for the better, your battery life. Gotta love it.

austriak

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I really hope the battery life is good but I am suspicious when Samsung keeps on touting how much you can charge in 10 minutes and how easy wireless charging is. That is big business speak for the battery is not going to be great but you can charge easily and quickly. I hope I am wrong.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I'm with you. 4 hours screen time isn't stellar by any means. I'm expecting something more along the lines of 5 hours edging closer to 6.

Phone like the Xperia Z3 has pretty spectacular battery life, so while I'm not expecting exactly that, I would like the S6 to have better battery life than my current phone.

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

While I can certainly understand wanting the battery to be better, expecting that kind of battery life out of that size is cell is pretty unrealistic. If you're not okay with charging the device for a short period during the day some time, this phone isn't for you. I'm kind of at a loss how many people can't seem to grasp that at this point.

Posted via the Android Central App

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
While I can certainly understand wanting the battery to be better, expecting that kind of battery life out of that size is cell is pretty unrealistic. If you're not okay with charging the device for a short period during the day some time, this phone isn't for you. I'm kind of at a loss how many people can't seem to grasp that at this point.

Because when you're not by an outlet, how many charging methods you have don't matter. And..... We haven't had to do something like charging a phone midday in years, so why start now?

But I have a feeling we are going to see closer to if not 5 hours of SoT even in T-Mobile models when all is said and done.

NadaAddict

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Not talking crap since I'm waiting for my pre-order to arrive today, but my year old M8 does better than that :(

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Because when you're not by an outlet, how many charging methods you have don't matter. And..... We haven't had to do something like charging a phone midday in years, so why start now?

But I have a feeling we are going to see closer to if not 5 hours of SoT even in T-Mobile models when all is said and done.

I'm not disputing the fact that some don't want to deal with charging during the day. I'm just saying that bringing it up ad nauseum as it pertains to the S6 is pointless. It just may not be the right phone for you if you don't want to deal with such things. The cell size isn't going to increase magically overnight.

As far as 5 hours go, that might be too ambitious. I can see being able to hit that mark every once in awhile depending on conditions, but I'd be shocked if it could pull that off consistently.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
But what really got Samsung where they are with the Galaxy line? Was it the premium build materials? No
Was it touchwiz? No
Was it Android? Maybe, but how did that put them ahead of other Android phones?
I'd have to say: hardware and possibly battery life.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
But what really got Samsung where they are with the Galaxy line? Was it the premium build materials? No
Was it touchwiz? No
Was it Android? Maybe, but how did that put them ahead of other Android phones?
I'd have to say: hardware and possibly battery life.

Are you sure it's not removable batteries and expandable memory?

Posted via Android Central App

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm not disputing the fact that some don't want to deal with charging during the day. I'm just saying that bringing it up ad nauseum as it pertains to the S6 is pointless. It just may not be the right phone for you if you don't want to deal with such things. The cell size isn't going to increase magically overnight.

As far as 5 hours go, that might be too ambitious. I can see being able to hit that mark every once in awhile depending on conditions, but I'd be shocked if it could pull that off consistently.

On xda, some are getting almost or just that when they remove wifi talking.
But every person milage will be different for sure. I'm just hoping for anything above 4 hours with light to medium use.
When I'm gaming, all bets are off.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I'd be shocked at 5 hours of SOT, too. That would, in my opinion, be good.

So far, what I'm reading, it does not sound like users (Tmobile users) are getting very close to that...

I've already pre-ordered, but I'm undeniably worried.

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
Nevermind, I guess that's all included in hardware lol. My bad.

Posted via Android Central App

That's it.
I had this conversation with several in the lunchroom a few weeks back, when the lack a Swappable Battery and SD Card got brought up about the S6, it was like a resounding "That's why we went with Samsung!"
No, it isn't something to just accept and move on. People have long been vocal about wants and needs with a particular device. They complain about lacking features all the time. Supposedly that's why we now have these so called premium materials and a dialed back touchwiz. So when people complained in the S4 and S5 forums about TouchWiz, we should have told them, well it's what it is, so stop complaining or buy something else.
We buy Samsung, and when we loose something we like, we're going to talk about it.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I'd be shocked at 5 hours of SOT, too. That would, in my opinion, be good.

So far, what I'm reading, it does not sound like users (Tmobile users) are getting very close to that...

I've already pre-ordered, but I'm undeniably worried.
Screen shots from an xda member...

8003332494ec9d1c1e5fdf06880fb6be.jpg

d24d2de03d3728448d98c6e04aa7a22a.jpg

af0b76c44f9740cd56f370db1fe233ef.jpg

I hope this clarifys the issue for what may become once you turn off wifi calling on T-Mobile.

clevin

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
That's it.
I had this conversation with several in the lunchroom a few weeks back, when the lack a Swappable Battery and SD Card got brought up about the S6, it was like a resounding "That's why we went with Samsung!"
No, it isn't something to just accept and move on. People have long been vocal about wants and needs with a particular device. They complain about lacking features all the time. Supposedly that's why we now have these so called premium materials and a dialed back touchwiz. So when people complained in the S4 and S5 forums about TouchWiz, we should have told them, well it's what it is, so stop complaining or buy something else.
We buy Samsung, and when we loose something we like, we're going to talk about it.

I switched from HOX to Note 3 about 18 months ago. For these reasons:

1. A large AMOLED screen, I simply adore true black, and flexibility of battery saving possibility it provides.
2. A FHD screen, I needed the phone to have above 312ppi
3. A removable battery and a sd card, I want to use my phone for as long as possible, the sealed battery pretty much makes that impossible passing two years.

In the end, I wanted a phone that can last, I don't think HOX will, due to battery degradation. I do believe Note 3 will.

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com
I'm going to start uninstalling apps to see what is going on. I have my phone set up exactly like my Note 4 which was fine on battery. I know the battery is smaller in the S6, but my battery drained 22% during my 38 minute drive home. I was playing Google Play Music via Bluetooth with the music already downloaded on the phone. Definitely have to figure out what is going on here.