Anyone undecided about the S6?

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
If I got the S6 instead of the Edge, I'm not sure I'd use a case with it. It felt perfect in my hand. I was thoroughly impressed.

Posted via the Android Central App

Same here. I think it's the best in hand feel I've ever experienced with a cell phone

Posted via Android Central App

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm undecided not because of the battery or Touchwiz. I've had an S4 so I'm used to a bloated UI and I actually liked it. the battery if it's still good as the S5 (and my m8) will be fine for me.

What bothers me is two things that was mentioned in the podcast and the question thread that Andrew did.

1) having Clean Master built in to Touchwiz.
Not an app and uninstallable, but built in to the UI? Are you freaking kidding me? This crap better be able to be fully disabled or I'm flat out returning it unopened in less then a minute.

This garbage fools way too many people into thinking that there is something wrong with their phone. The problem is that what's wrong with their phone is that CM is installed. But to be fully integrated into Touchwiz? Wholly brain wash Batman, there are going to be too many fools that fall for this gimmick and get addicted to speeding up their phone and cooling it off every hour on the hour like my friend who is about as smart as dirt when it comes to phones.

You wanna know what really was wrong with my friends phone running so hot and losing memory faster then grease lightning? Nothing. Nothing at all but that he had some trash apps installed, and the biggest piece of garbage was Clean Master.

2) Samsung pay not available right away.

What is this Knox on the S4 all over again? Why promote a feature that won't be available until the summer?
Unlike Knox, I was looking forward to Samsung pay. In fact, in one of my threads I mentioned that one of the 3 major reasons for me getting the phone is because I hate taking my wallet with me when I'm in basketball shorts or bathing suits during the summer. The lack of pockets I have during the summer won't be an issue if I can just carry my phone and make payments with it. But what if like Knox it's not here until late August or September at best? How will this help me buy things at many of the mom and pop stores/restaurants that I frequent? I might as well wait until the note 5 as it will be ready by then. (and I was originally waiting for the new note 5)

I don't know. I'm not pre-ordering until the 3rd anyway. But with one of the features I want not working for months at best and Clean Master giving me pop ups telling me my phone is too hot when I'm not even gaming... I just don't know.

Omg, I'm a gamer? Will CM be annoying?
Hmmm, I better go and clean up my cashe and stop typing as I'm sure that my phone is running soooooooooo hot from just thinking about this. /sarcasm

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Wow! And it was that bad?

i'm not saying its bad, as i haven't really used an android phone regularly since i had a samsung s3. i'm thinking people who are more used to android probably dont see the slight lag and are just used to it. i don't know. i'm not saying the phone is super slow or something. but theverge.com is generally the one mobile site i use to test phones browsers with, and my iphone 5 is definitely much smoother which shouldn't be the case at all, seeing as the s6 is light years ahead in terms of specs.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm not so-so for it. I'm not getting it at all. I played with it at my local AT&T store and it felt small and slippery. And some of the reviews about the battery life isn't impressive at all.

If I have to pay $949 for a device, I want...more from it.

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site
i'm not saying its bad, as i haven't really used an android phone regularly since i had a samsung s3. i'm thinking people who are more used to android probably dont see the slight lag and are just used to it. i don't know. i'm not saying the phone is super slow or something. but theverge.com is generally the one mobile site i use to test phones browsers with, and my iphone 5 is definitely much smoother which shouldn't be the case at all, seeing as the s6 is light years ahead in terms of specs.

For me, BGR and Verge are two my least favorite tech site when it comes to androids. Not really trusting anything they say on it.
I haven't tested those sites on S6 browser yet. But even if it's slow to load those sites, that doesn't bother me at all, lol.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Well, I was looking at the S6 and S6 edge for a while. Spent about 15 minutes playing with them in store in England.

However, I have had my Note4 for 36 hours to replace my S5 and am loving it. When I first got it the screen on my S5 immediately started to look small. Performance is great. Still on kit kat though I did get to like lollipop on my S5 after three updates.

Memory on the Note4 is 32gb which I have never had before. Stuck in my 128gb SD card and am a very happy customer.

Battery looks like it will last 30 hours so plenty for me to play with. Will get a spare battery for backup.

When 200gb SD cards come down in price I'll buy a few of those for my Note4, Tab S and S5 mini.

So the S6 was not for me even though it is a brilliant piece of kit and Samsung will sell them by the millions.

Looks like I'll be sticking to the Note range from now on as long as Samsung keep the expandable storage and removable battery - very important for me.

Note4 is the dogs bits.

Last edited:

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Ok, there seems to be two main issues, that can be fixed.

1. Battery is underwhelming
2. Touchwizz is still stuttering/lagging

Fix for number 1 is a power bank
Fix for number 2 seems more complicated, either wait for Samsung to iron out the edges (yeh right) or flash a ROM

droidguy1964

Banned
Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Still undecided although the M9 has been totally eliminated for me at this point. Going to wait a week or two and see what real users are saying about the S6. I have also eliminated the edge....don't need the gimmick. If it looks good then a 64gb black S6 is what I will get.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Ok, there seems to be two main issues, that can be fixed.

1. Battery is underwhelming
2. Touchwizz is still stuttering/lagging

Fix for number 1 is a power bank
Fix for number 2 seems more complicated, either wait for Samsung to iron out the edges (yeh right) or flash a ROM

Saw no stutter at all and I tried my best to do so at Best Buy yesterday.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Still undecided although the M9 has been totally eliminated for me at this point. Going to wait a week or two and see what real users are saying about the S6. I have also eliminated the edge....don't need the gimmick. If it looks good then a 64gb black S6 is what I will get.

I ended up getting the one you are thinking about. Now that demo units are available, go into a store and try it out. At the end of the day, it is the best way to make a decision as it is based upon your own experience.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJsPTkj1Z1k

Just watching the Android Central podcast where Andrew Martonik goes into discussing the S6. He seems pretty so-so about it. Mentions it's still very much the same experience as any other Samsung phone, not a radically changed one. Says the battery life is an issue for him, not lasting as long as he'd like and mentions that there is lag though it seems hit and miss. Sometimes it'll just lag and slow down and he can't pinpoint exactly what it's doing that. He mentions that the phone isn't as fast or as smooth as last year's HTC One M8...

To me this is a bit worrying. I don't want to go to a phone that slower and has less battery life than the one I currently own. Kinda don't know what to do haha. I'll check out the S6 when it's released here, but I'm hesitant on pulling the trigger after hearing this. Have to read reviews on speed and battery. Might wait and see what LG and Sony come up with.

Not as fast as the M8? Seriously? I just played with both S6 and Edge and they are stupid fast. I seriously doubt the M8 comes close. Battery issues I can understand with that insane 4k display, which by the way is ridiculously sharp.

alfstoria1

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
As I posted in the tmo SG6. I checked both versions at BB and i didn't like how the frame doesn't match/pair with the rest of the phone. It's so different from the rest of t shiny phone. The whole point of the phone is its design and it doesn't look right. Only 15GB left in the 32 version. No pics or music. No for me :/ Nice keyboard tho, heading to xda to check if anyone was able to fetch the apk.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Not as fast as the M8? Seriously? I just played with both S6 and Edge and they are stupid fast. I seriously doubt the M8 comes close. Battery issues I can understand with that insane 4k display, which by the way is ridiculously sharp.

I have no idea. The S6 and the S6 Edge are ridiculously quick. Not sure where anyone is getting the lag from.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Saw no stutter at all and I tried my best to do so at Best Buy yesterday.

Avoid trying to get the UI to struggle or lag, it may be the case that Samsung has nailed the main interface to run smoothly but TW is still strong in precense everywhere else where it also matters. The more and more we are getting reviewer feedback on the decides they've had for a few days and the bugs/lag are starting to get more noticeable? Just saying...we know how Samsung's are in this long run, they could have easily masked it for initial press and release.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Avoid trying to get the UI to struggle or lag, it may be the case that Samsung has nailed the main interface to run smoothly but TW is still strong in precense everywhere else where it also matters. The more and more we are getting reviewer feedback on the decides they've had for a few days and the bugs/lag are starting to get more noticeable? Just saying...we know how Samsung's are in this long run, they could have easily masked it for initial press and release.

Well my experience with my Note 3 (using Nova launcher) tells me there is no TW slow down as such.

My Note 3 still performs just as quickly as it did when I got it over a year ago IMO. So I'm anticipating and expecting the SGS6/SGS6 Edge to do the same and even better considering newer tech.

This thing is a monster. I played with both earlier today and was blown away by the speed and the screen. I'm a little concerned about the battery though.

stevelam

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site

what? the s6 does not have a 4k display. it has a 2k display.

personally i think they should have stuck with a more manageable resolution rather than trying to push specs. theres diminishing returns in pushing pixels to a small screen to the point where it just can't look any sharper because its so small anyway. i compared it to my gf's iphone 6 screen, particularly at font rendering and there was really no discernible difference to me.

either way, it seems samsung (or google) still has a long way to go in optimizing its software with accompanying hardware. the weird redrawing in the default s6 browser on theverge.com annoyed the **** out of me. with so much horsepower i have no idea why it would still do this.