Fingerprint frustration

wrmoore47

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm very happy with my AT&T 32GB GS6, but I'm very disappointed with the fingerprint unlock function. It frequently takes 4-5 tries to get an unlock. Rarely it works the first time. Sometimes it gives up and requires me to enter my password. I have redefined my finger print 3 times (and deleted the previous definitions) and it seems a bit better than at first, but still not good. I'm using my right thumb. Any tips on dealing with this?

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
There's another thread about the fingerprint scanner where myself and others have already given advice. I'm not having any issues at all. Please search for that other thread.

yaddam205

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
I have noticed that every so often it will not detect a particular print. I typically use my right thumb and it works flawlessly 95% of the time. On occasion it simply won't detect. So, I switch fingers and the problem is solved next time I attempt to unlock with my right thumb. It will also affect other fingers as well. Looks like a software bug to me.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
I am also finding the finger print scanner to sometimes require a very precise tumb or finger placement. I found touch id unlocked more frequently with less precision....not sure if that's a good or bad thing.

Posted via the Android Central App

jlinz

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Based on another poster's suggestion from another thread, I trained one of my thumbs at different angles (as if they were different prints). Haven't had a single failed reading attempt since.

logain12

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had any issues. It works very well, very close to 100% of the time on the first try. Usually when it doesn't work it's because my finger wasn't all the way on the button.

hawkeye16qb

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I am having a new device shipped.

My scanner doesn't work properly all the time.

Sometimes it's 80-90%, then its maybe a 50/50 deal. Not acceptable for me, so I am getting a new device.

S6ER

Apr 13, 2015
Visit site
Someone mentioned this earlier and this is the way to do it. When you're programming your finger print (Mines Left Thumb) you must lift your thumb and reposition it a different way, so the phone senses multiple touches of your thumb. I did this and now it works great.

jstwondrng

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I highly suggest moving your thumb around during the test. I had MAJOR issues originally when I first set up the thumb security. I deleted it and set up another one again and it works like a charm now. Try different angels and sections of your thumb.

J

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
For me I found the trick was to rest your finger very lightly on the sensor. I mean barely touching it gives me the best results. At this point I'd say I'm getting about 80% successful readings.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
This is frustrating. I had one print from day one and the first 48 hours it was perfect but today it was not working 25% of the time or so. So I redid the fingerprint and now it's working 50% about. Sigh.

wrmoore47

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Two days ago, after reading suggestions here and in a couple of other threads, I redefined my fingerprint for a fourth time. That did the trick, although I'm really not sure what I did differently. Now 90% of the time unlock occurs immediately, and the rest of the time a second touch does it. Haven't had to do more than 2 touches since my redefinition. I'm happy now!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
g1303bk