Here is a list of what the carriers removed from the S6

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
AT&T
AT&T has removed the Download Booster feature that simultaneously uses Wi-Fi and LTE data to deliver faster speeds; the Simple Sharing feature that lets you more easily share large files with friends; Microsoft’s OneDrive application, which came with 100GB of free cloud storage; and the Smart Manager app that Samsung designed to make managing battery use and storage on your device easier.

Verizon
Verizon has also removed Smart Manager and OneDrive… and every other Microsoft app that was preloaded. In other words, if you buy a Galaxy S6 from Verizon, you won’t get OneDrive, Skype, OneNote and Office Mobile preloaded onto the device. Unlike AT&T, Verizon’s Galaxy S6 does come with Download Booster and Simple Share enabled, however.

T-Mobile
T-Mobile is limiting your ability to remove S-Finder and Quick Connect from the phone’s drop-down menu. You also can’t disable the capacitive lights on T-Mobile’s Galaxy S6 as you can on AT&T’s version of the device. Other than this, though, it seems T-Mobile has left the device largely intact.

Sprint
Sprint has removed Download Booster and has disabled Wi-Fi calling as a default setting, although it’s possible to change that easily by enabling it in the settings. Like T-Mobile, Sprint has mostly left the device alone and it does give you access to the Microsoft apps Samsung promoted during its Galaxy S6 launch, including the 100GB of OneDrive data.

Samsung Galaxy S6: Verizon, AT&T remove Microsoft apps | BGR

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Don't see what's the point in removing the ability to disable backlight. How do they benefit from that in any way? I like to turn them off 😩

EMY92

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
That's one thing that Apple does right, they don't let the carriers screw with the iPhone.

I wish Samsung would do the same. I've read other threads about people trying to get the 100 GB free storage from MS for the One Drive after having to download it on an AT&T phone. I'll need to find that thread after buying my phone in a few weeks.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
That's one thing that Apple does right, they don't let the carriers screw with the iPhone.

I wish Samsung would do the same. I've read other threads about people trying to get the 100 GB free storage from MS for the One Drive after having to download it on an AT&T phone. I'll need to find that thread after buying my phone in a few weeks.

Yeah. If anybody other than Apple can do it, it would be Samsung. I can understand why Moto or Google can't do it since they don't sell nearly as many, but Samsung is a big enough customer for the carriers that they should be able to get their way

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Yeah. If anybody other than Apple can do it, it would be Samsung. I can understand why Moto or Google can't do it since they don't sell nearly as many, but Samsung is a big enough customer for the carriers that they should be able to get their way

Shouldn't we be blaming the carriers ant not Samsung?
I doubt Samsung told them to remove it

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
They've all also removed the "Auto Brightness Bias" setting for seemingly no reason. It's been that way with Samsung devices and US carriers for years.

Also, this is outrageous. They're literally removing features a la carte. Do they hope nobody notices? I think people need to make a bigger fuss about this.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I wish Tmobile variant would allow you to remove S FInder / Quick Finder. Why would these be the one thing Tmobile wouldn't allow? It's weird. Ditto for capacitive lights. This isn't as big of a deal, but it's just bizarre why Tmobile would single out these two things to not allow its users to tinker with...

: confused :

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
They've all also removed the "Auto Brightness Bias" setting for seemingly no reason. It's been that way with Samsung devices and US carriers for years.

Also, this is outrageous. They're literally removing features a la carte. Do they hope nobody notices? I think people need to make a bigger fuss about this.

What about the auto brightness did they remove?

EMY92

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Shouldn't we be blaming the carriers ant not Samsung?
I doubt Samsung told them to remove it

There is no doubt that the carrier's are to blame, but unlike Apple, Samsung lets the carriers get away with it. Apple is the only one that puts stuff on the iPhone. With Samsung phones, the carriers are allowed to fill it with stuff most of us don't want. I upgraded my S4 to Lollipop a few days ago and up popped another AT&T add on. Then, the carriers are deleting things that Samsung advertises as a benefit to the S6. Apple wouldn't let a carrier block Siri or Apple Pay. Why is Samsung allowing the deletion of One Drive?

Samsung sells more phones than everyone. They should be in a position to be like Apple and refuse to allow the carriers to load the phone with bloat especially with something as popular as the S6 or the other premium phones. Let the carriers bloat the bargain phones.

If Samsung blocked the carrier changes, it would also allow quicker upgrades when the next Android update comes out. Samsung would only have to check it to function on each phone, not each phone and how it interacts with each carrier's bloat.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
T-Mobile
T-Mobile is limiting your ability to remove S-Finder and Quick Connect from the phone’s drop-down menu. You also can’t disable the capacitive lights on T-Mobile’s Galaxy S6 as you can on AT&T’s version of the device. Other than this, though, it seems T-Mobile has left the device largely intact.

This is annoying, those things are pretty much useless wastes of space...

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
There is no doubt that the carrier's are to blame, but unlike Apple, Samsung lets the carriers get away with it. Apple is the only one that puts stuff on the iPhone. With Samsung phones, the carriers are allowed to fill it with stuff most of us don't want. I upgraded my S4 to Lollipop a few days ago and up popped another AT&T add on. Then, the carriers are deleting things that Samsung advertises as a benefit to the S6. Apple wouldn't let a carrier block Siri or Apple Pay. Why is Samsung allowing the deletion of One Drive?

Samsung sells more phones than everyone. They should be in a position to be like Apple and refuse to allow the carriers to load the phone with bloat especially with something as popular as the S6 or the other premium phones. Let the carriers bloat the bargain phones.

If Samsung blocked the carrier changes, it would also allow quicker upgrades when the next Android update comes out. Samsung would only have to check it to function on each phone, not each phone and how it interacts with each carrier's bloat.

Samsung sells a ton of phones so they could very well think there isn't an issue with the carriers tinkering with their phones. Personally I would send some sort of e-mail to Samsung stating how much we don't like the level the carriers are messing with phones. AT&T has gotten particularly horrible; I'd argue they are the worst at bloat, tinkering and slow updates. Yeah, it's a massive corporation but they seem to be paying attention to consumers more then in the past. I wouldn't even bother complain to AT&T or Verizon; they care nothing if you've already got service on their network.

Samsung is more vertically integrated now then ever; they easily make a vast majority of the components in their phones. Software should be easier to develop thanks to a nearly unified hardware architecture among the S6 models; I'd expect the Note 5 to be the same way. They aren't quite in the same position as Apple, Apple still takes a majority of the US market and owns and has totally control over every part of iOS, but Samsung can and should put their foot down. They may not get Apple like results but with Carriers now passing along with the full cost of the phones to us more then ever it's time they took their hands off of them.

If the S6 and Note 5 sell as well as Samsung predicts they will or beats expectations then something tells me a carrier would bend a bit if they flat out said 'Do this or you won't see another Galaxy on your network again'.

gtg465x

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Some possible corrections. I have the international unlocked S6 and I don't have a setting to change the button backlight or the ability to remove S Finder and Quick Settings from the notification shade. So maybe those are actually features some carriers ADD. If someone tells me where those settings are, I can double check to make sure I didn't just gloss over them.

Ian B

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
If someone can pull the one drive apk that will let us sign in and claim the 100gb will be greatly appreciated.

Ian B

Ian B

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
If someone can pull the one drive apk that will let us sign in and claim the 100gb will be greatly appreciated.

Ian B

Someone posted the apk, installed but would not work from TMobile. I have a ticket w one drive support and looking into it. Told them ATT disabled their app where we can not get our Samsung gift.

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Some possible corrections. I have the international unlocked S6 and I don't have a setting to change the button backlight or the ability to remove S Finder and Quick Settings from the notification shade. So maybe those are actually features some carriers ADD. If someone tells me where those settings are, I can double check to make sure I didn't just gloss over them.

For button backlight...

Look for settings > display > touch key light duration

Posted via the Android Central App