Galaxy S6 battery life is unacceptable!

brushrop03#AC

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Yeah not going to break 4 hours.

About 4 hours of the day was WiFi on and connected. Off otherwise.

Really did nothing but an hour of Spotify, text, surf the Web. Couple of YouTube videos.

Attachments

• 1429328956013.jpg
    1429328956013.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 1429328970078.jpg
    1429328970078.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 77

RFish86

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Sasktel up here in Canada. First android phone. Real impressed with battery an the charging is crazy. I can get 5ish hours on screen streaming HD movie on WiFi. Cell stand by around 4%

Posted via the Android Central App

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Or...

If there weren't a bunch of people who didn't read one of the 30 or so threads about the same topic, there wouldn't be so many threads. Or if people understood it's a Lollipop issue that affects more devices than just the S6, maybe there wouldn't be such incessant whining.

Posted via Galaxy S6 edge

I went for a Note4 which I upgraded to Lollipop and am now getting 2 to 4 days use out of it on one charge depending on where I am and what I am doing with it.

So not all android devices are suffering battery issues with Lollipop. There is another option out there.

scuba_steve

May 1, 2011
Visit site
I went for a Note4 which I upgraded to Lollipop and am now getting 2 to 4 days use out of it on one charge depending on where I am and what I am doing with it.

So not all android devices are suffering battery issues with Lollipop. There is another option out there.

Yeah, I agree. I have a new Note 4 running Lollipop and am having zero issues. I pull it off the charger around 8am each day, use it moderately during the day while at work, and by the time I get home, the battery is usually at 75-80%.

I will admit, that wasn't the case a couple of days ago. It was at 90%. ;)

Screenshot.png

Must have been a light use day, although I have apps and widgets pulling data all day long. I'm not buying the Lollipop theory.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

And Nexus 6 owners (I'm one of them), G3 owners, S5 owners (also one of them), and even Note 4 owners have this issue. I'm glad you're not experiencing it with your device like I'm not with the S6, but others are.

You don't see it because it's not an issue for you and you know how awesome the battery life on the Note 4 is. Now imagine people telling you the Note 4 battery sucks because of this bug ad nauseum when you know it doesn't; they're just affected by this Lollipop issue. That's what this is here.

We've identified the issue and there's multiple threads discussing it and ways to improve what's available now. There's people like me sharing how good the battery life can be when it's not affected by this problem. Even with all that, there's people who take the battery performance they're getting now, a week into this phone's launch, and compare it to other devices like the S5 and say it sucks. I'll post screens of an unaffected device that outperforms the S5 and they're still like "Nah it still isn't better because my phone can't do that". I've got the S5, unaffected by this drain; the S6 can outperform it. That's what I'm dealing with here.

Last edited:

atishc

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

Really did nothing but an hour of Spotify, text, surf the Web. Couple of YouTube videos.

Your battery life looks appropriate to me for your usage. Most people who are getting >4 hour SOT are usually getting it over a shorter period of time (~16-18 hours), so with less standby battery use. The people who are getting >5 hours SOT over >24 hours are usually doing something more extreme, like manually controlling brightness to be low, or turning off location services completely. A 2550 or 2600 mAh battery is not designed to last more than 1 day with moderate use. The problem is people having to charge in the middle of the day with only moderate use, and that it usually caused by some sort of bug leading to their battery drain.

brushrop03#AC

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I understand. With the supposed 'battery efficient' processor I was hoping it would overcome the smaller battery and be something really special. Guess not.

I think I have one more week before I have to return it, but I'm probably going to keep it. May consider a battery pack case. This will definitely be a 1yr phone....it's resale value is going to plummet quick.

mrgiven

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
And Nexus 6 owners (I'm one of them), G3 owners, S5 owners (also one of them), and even Note 4 owners have this issue. I'm glad you're not experiencing it with your device like I'm not with the S6, but others are.

You don't see it because it's not an issue for you and you know how awesome the battery life on the Note 4 is. Now imagine people telling you the Note 4 battery sucks because of this bug ad nauseum when you know it doesn't; they're just affected by this Lollipop issue. That's what this is here.

We've identified the issue and there's multiple threads discussing it and ways to improve what's available now. There's people like me sharing how good the battery life can be when it's not affected by this problem. Even with all that, there's people who take the battery performance they're getting now, a week into this phone's launch, and compare it to other devices like the S5 and say it sucks. I'll post screens of an unaffected device that outperforms the S5 and they're still like "Nah it still isn't better because my phone can't do that". I've got the S5, unaffected by this drain; the S6 can outperform it. That's what I'm dealing with here.

I think the dead horse you're beating has taken far more punishment than the battery drain thread dead horse!

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

Your problem seems to be the Google Play services drain bug affecting a lot of Lollipop users of all brands and models. You must have a rogue Google App affecting it, so I'd advise you to disable all the Google Apps you will never use then go to Settings-Accounts and look for your Google account(s) and just sync what you really need, by default, all Google services sync all the time, just leave the ones you must use like Gmail, Calendar, Contacts and Apps sync, the rest are mostly optional.

After that, go to your Settings-Applications Manager and go to All in there look for Google Services framework and do a Clear Cache and then Force Stop it, then do the same for Google Play Services. It should stop the Google Play Services from keeping Awake the device all the time, but it may be fixed if the issue was one of the Google apps that you disable or stop syncing, but if the issue is with one of the ones you will keep using then you should see this behavior again after a reboot or even after an App update.

The above should help you at least until we get a definitive Google fix for this and other bugs present on the Lollipop Build.

mrgiven

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Actually not bad today. I can live with this.....

Attachments

• 1429395725459.jpg
    1429395725459.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 1429395732698.jpg
    1429395732698.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 40

Robster33

Banned
Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I am only getting 4.5 hours SOT with a Note Edge on Lollipop, thinking of getting a S6. Looks about the same battery usage. Its not as good as my IP6 though.

Brian Delaney

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Pretty much straight use. Facebook , Web browsing , streaming podcasts, couple of you tubes
Location off, WiFi off

Attachments

• 338.jpg
    338.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 72
  • 339.jpg
    339.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 70

getbretweir

Banned
Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
@mrgiven
Been reading these forums the last day or so. All I see is you bashing the damn phone. Seriously man, lots of choices out there. Your obviously not a good candidate to be an early adopter. Stuff happens, there are bugs. They will get fixed. Great thing is there is a 14 day return policy, don't walk but run and return this thing. I love mine and I've had every phone known to man. But to see you negativity being spewed in multiple threads gets old. I'm sure you will complain about something on your next phone. Just a guess...

i'm an impatient person and i'm not a guy that roots, knows how to, or chooses to learn (looks easy enough on YouTube, i just don't want to risk it or deal with the maintenance)

but your point is dead on. there are people that like to be first, there are people that really enjoy finding solutions to tech issues, then there are those that just want to impress people. i figure the AC crowd with the S6 are 75% tinkerers that enjoy working on solutions and just messing around with their device.

for the other 25% it's just unreasonable to expect perfection out of the box. iPhone, yeah, maybe they have a bug or two that'll go away in a few weeks. Android is a much more complex universe and early adopters that expect there to be zero issues are just unrealistic. either get it early and be part of the solution, not the problem, or do as i choose to and let things run their course before settling in. i have a nexus and never even install the latest upgrade immediately.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Good points. Hoping your iPhone comment is tongue in cheek. I am guessing but there seem to be quite a few converts from the forbidden fruit company whose mindset will take time and experience to change. Their expectations of more complete device optimization are for the moment a bit misplaced. This hopefully won't be the case a few years from now as Samsung hopefully continues this change in philosophy and design.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty