GS6 & GS6E impressions - A Month Later

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I have had my AT&T GS6 for over a month and continue to be quite pleased with my decision to have it as my daily driver. I have no regrets thus far and it is best smartphone that I have ever owned.

http://youtu.be/GoyZdq1mBFo

What are your impressions? Any surprises, good or bad? If you are coming from a different device, what do you like most and what made you choose the GS6 over the competition, both released and recently announced?

Note: Some are not experiencing great battery life so let's not let this thread degenerate into a battery life thread. Don't know about you but there have been enough of them. Hopefully, future updates will address this issue.

drone3

Nov 16, 2014
Visit site
Coming from the HTC M7

Likes - camera, screen, quick charge, clicky buttons

Dislikes - Touchwizz, external speaker

The S6 is a great device I wouldn't trade it for any other phone, but I do miss the M7's aluminum design/build, External speakers and the consistent Sense UI. If the M9 had the same camera quality as the S6 I probably would have got the M9. So yeh the main deciding factor was definitely the camera.

dreaming of electric sheep

Last edited:

cohoman

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: GS6 & GS6E impressions - A Month Later

I've had my S6 since launch day and it's been working great. No issues. Battery life is excellent, WiFi works fine, calls are clear with no drops. The camera is excellent compared to my previous HTC M7. Everything is great.

The only small issue I have is that after the recent Samsung update I can't use "ok, google" on any screen (just on the Google search screen).

OceanView

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
I've been pretty happy with my s6. The only thing that I can complain about is the highest volume setting on the speaker. It seems to distort which other samsung phones didn't.
Otherwise this thing is just awesome.

Posted via Android Central App

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Last device was the AT&T 16GB GS4.

Pros:

The display is amazing. The parallax effect is amazing and the icons appear to be painted on. The resolution and brightness is great as well. I can now use my GS6 in the car and outside. I seldom have to resort to full bright or auto bright. Most of the time I am on 50% brightness. Colors are less over saturated and the color temperature are more accurate.

Battery life has yet to be an issue but I am not a heavy duty user. I love the rapid charging and wireless charging. Looking forward to being out and about being able to drop my GS6 on wireless charging pad in a restaurant or store without having to buy an accessory.

This device is as fast and smooth as any device that I have ever owned. Still no noticeable lag. Not missing the sd card slot and still have 50 GB free.

Love,the thinness and premium, solid feel of the device finally ditching the plastic. It's funny that Samsung was hammered for the plastic, hyper glazed or dimpled plastic backs as being cheap but the so-called experts are praising the G4. Coincidence that the G4 also has a swappable battery and sd card slot?

Camera is amazing. Looking forward to trying videos at my nephews graduation.

Looking forward to Samsung Pay having tap n go and MST available.

Cons:

The GS6 should have been thick enough to make the camera hump flush with the chassis. Not sure who thought it would be a great aesthetic design choice.

The power button needed to be a bit higher.

The device would have been great without the Briefing screen.

TouchWiz needs more work but is much improved and optimized than past iterations. Menu options need to be better organized and the bright colors although they contribute to a more unified look need to be toned down. Icons and folder displays need an overhauls need to be able to uninstall all apps, Samsung and carrier, not just disable some. If you don't need it, you shouldn't have to include it on your device.

Samsung and carriers need to work better together and more quickly to roll out OS updates and patches.

cbreze

May 30, 2011
Visit site
Also had mine for about a month. Came from an iPhone 6+ back to android. I missed the customizations of android and while the 6+ is a great device it's not for me as a daily driver. I had the strange screen sensitivity issue for the first 2 weeks and wanted to smash it against a wall in frustration, cursing Samsung all the while. Once I figured out that issue I can say this is the smoothest running phone I've had so far. Awesome camera, excellent battery life, very smooth operations through out. I knew touch wiz would be pretty meh for me as all of the android OEM UI launchers always are for me. I need to be able to customize it to my liking. The beauty of android is the all the customization options. I was pleasantly surprised by the loud speaker and find it quite adequate. I was expecting a lesser experience and glad to be disappointed in a good way. Camera is awesome of course, no complaints there, The protrusion of the lens housing out the back is no issue since I use a case. Its to slippery to risk it naked for me. I have a nice case. I think I can say for my needs and usage the S6 is the best phone I've had so far and I've had a lot of them. Very pleased with it.

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I've only had mine a week and am coming from a Droid DNA, and I'm very happy thus far. The screen is amazing and I haven't even changed the settings from automatic brightness. Battery life has been much better than I expected and I'm getting much better sot than the DNA. My only complaints are the camera hump and the power button..It's right where the volume button was on my old phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

xdviper

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: GS6 & GS6E impressions - A Month Later

I've only had mine for a week but still contemplating returning back to my Nexus 5. It's smooth and nice but I am still seeing lag and jitters in areas where the 2 year old Nexus 5 held up like a champ.
The battery life from the Nexus 5 isn't an upgrade but more of a side grade. Besides that, no complaints, the screen is gorgeous and the speakers sound awesome coming from the Nexus 5.
Just wish the battery was better in standby and touchwiz even in it's trimmed down form was as smooth as stock lolipop.
Oh, and if the wifi calling and volte bugs we're nonexistent would've been so much better.
Can't wait to see what 5.1.1 does to this phone.

monkmullen

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Had my s6 since launch. I was hesitant to get a Samsung device because of all the Touchwiz hate, but it's been a total non-issue for me.

The hardware is fantastic. Like others have said, screen is very nice, clicky buttons, reliable (for me at least) fingerprint reader. It's an a very slick package.

The battery has been a humongous disappointment. I'm not a heavy user by any stretch, and I barely make it from 7am to 7pm on a charge. Its the old cell standby issue, too. It's accountable for 40% or more of my battery use some days. Not cool.

Still, for various reasons, this phone is a country mile better than the last 3 phones I've had, imo: iPhone 4s, htc one m7, and 2013 moto x.

sbmoore1

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site
I'm in love with my GS6. Came from a moto x 2014, gs5, droid turbo and my s6 blows them all away. My turbo is fast but my s6 is a little faster. Can't beat the fingerprint scanner to keep others out my s6.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I'd like to see all of the well known reviewers do a review of the latest demo unit versus the retail GS6 with 5.1.1. It would be interesting to see what type of response we get from them.

FuzzyB

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Phone is phenomenal honestly. I am in my late 40's run a business and use this thing hard. Never had a phone that I just can't keep my hands off of.

I honestly can't say one bad thing about it. It is simply lights out....I used to think there couldn't be a better device than my s3 was but this thing smokes that by miles.

My wife has an iPhone 6 and it is a nice device but it is not on the same planet as the s6 I have.

I hate hearing some of the negatives on here about this device. It's unfortunate that everyone isn't having the same experience I am.

Pros: everything
Cons: none that I have seen

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Phone is phenomenal honestly. I am in my late 40's run a business and use this thing hard. Never had a phone that I just can't keep my hands off of.

I honestly can't say one bad thing about it. It is simply lights out....I used to think there couldn't be a better device than my s3 was but this thing smokes that by miles.

My wife has an iPhone 6 and it is a nice device but it is not on the same planet as the s6 I have.

I hate hearing some of the negatives on here about this device. It's unfortunate that everyone isn't having the same experience I am.

Pros: everything
Cons: none that I have seen
While it is regrettable that some have numerous challenges, it's nice to see a positive experience. On the other hand, a majority of these cases were early adopter issues experienced by those not accustomed to them and some were just plain lemons. Some of them are carrier and/or Lollipop issues that should hopefully addressed with updates.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Seems as though many people are in denial about their battery life.

Posted via the Android Central App on the Galaxy S6.

Here's a screen of my delusional screen time. I get a about 6 hours every single day.

Attachments

• 113411.jpg
    113411.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 113412.jpg
    113412.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 143

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member