Samsung Pay

RionDunn

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

Can someone explain the process in setting up Samsung pay and how it works? I live in Canada so I hope this will be available to us. I'm waiting on my S6 and I thought it would be very convenient to have Samsung pay setup for pay pass terminals and what's not. Also does it work on the Note 4 as well?

Any information on the process in setting this up would be great!

Thanks!

smooth4lyfe

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Well Samsung says it will be made available in the 2nd half of the year so hopefully we get more information during the summer months

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Load cards. Authenticate with fingerprint. Either tap n go or MST, magnetic strip reader. Not sure if GN4 gets it.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

Can someone explain the process in setting up Samsung pay and how it works? I live in Canada so I hope this will be available to us. I'm waiting on my S6 and I thought it would be very convenient to have Samsung pay setup for pay pass terminals and what's not. Also does it work on the Note 4 as well?

Any information on the process in setting this up would be great!

Thanks!

I doubt it will ever work on the Note 4 or any other previous phone as it needs a chip that it has been included with the S6 and I think from now on, only way to make it to work with a previous device is looking for the original company (LoopPay) and they made iPhone Adapters for the iPhone 5, 5S and 6 I think, don't think will work with any other phone.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Like every one else I've been reading about a summer launch since the s6 was announced and now they're saying a September release. That is disappointing but there are other issues that seem to come up the more I read about it. If you're at a checkout counter, then there's no problem, you can just touch the phone to the swipe and its a done deal. But, what about the times you're at a restaurant and want to pay by Samsung Pay? You can't hand over the phone (nor do you want to) to a wait person who is going to haul it off to the POS area because they can't use their fingerprint to initiate the activity and you're sure as hell not going to give them the password. Now, I see there will likely also be a card that can be given to them, they can use that but it will have to stay within Bluetooth range and you will have to know when to authorize that transaction via fingerprint recognition. Also, at first, wait staff will probably just give you a blank stare or worse when you hand them a little black, blank card that doesn't look like a credit card.

Its a great idea but I foresee a number of issues that will come up in usage. The best and easiest place to use it will be at store checkout counters for a number of other places there will be some real challenges.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm still disappointed as I really needed this feature during this summer. Oh well.

Posted via the Android Central App

I am disappointed as well but would rather get it right to avoid issues.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
Like every one else I've been reading about a summer launch since the s6 was announced and now they're saying a September release. That is disappointing but there are other issues that seem to come up the more I read about it. If you're at a checkout counter, then there's no problem, you can just touch the phone to the swipe and its a done deal. But, what about the times you're at a restaurant and want to pay by Samsung Pay? You can't hand over the phone (nor do you want to) to a wait person who is going to haul it off to the POS area because they can't use their fingerprint to initiate the activity and you're sure as hell not going to give them the password. Now, I see there will likely also be a card that can be given to them, they can use that but it will have to stay within Bluetooth range and you will have to know when to authorize that transaction via fingerprint recognition. Also, at first, wait staff will probably just give you a blank stare or worse when you hand them a little black, blank card that doesn't look like a credit card.

Its a great idea but I foresee a number of issues that will come up in usage. The best and easiest place to use it will be at store checkout counters for a number of other places there will be some real challenges.

In the US, in a restaurant, never give up your phone to wait staff. In stores and restaurants where you swipe, MST is fine. In the UK, there were many a restaurant where the wait staff brought the MST to your table and printed the receipt in your presence.

Posted via My Samsung Galaxy S6 Handheld Device

jcthorne#AC

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Restaurants need to start using portable POS units so they can process the CC transaction tableside just as they have for years in Europe. Just as mag stripe CC readers are going to disappear in the next few years, so will the practice of taking your card and disappearing with it.

John Woo1

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I doubt it will ever work on the Note 4 or any other previous phone as it needs a chip that it has been included with the S6 and I think from now on, only way to make it to work with a previous device is looking for the original company (LoopPay) and they made iPhone Adapters for the iPhone 5, 5S and 6 I think, don't think will work with any other phone.
Samsung Pay, Apple pay, Android Pay will work on any device with NFC. Just depend on if they want implent the mobile payment system on the devices.
Just MST wont work on devices that doesnt have MST capabilities.

About NFC

S6edge46220

May 29, 2015
Visit site
Samsung Pay, Apple pay, Android Pay will work on any device with NFC. Just depend on if they want implent the mobile payment system on the devices.

About NFC

From everything I have seen, MST capability is the main selling point of Samsung Pay and is why its only going to be on the S6 line and future. Plus Knox is most likely going to be required.

jcp007

Trusted Member
May 17, 2012
Visit site
From everything I have seen, MST capability is the main selling point of Samsung Pay and is why its only going to be on the S6 line and future. Plus Knox is most likely going to be required.

MST is more common than tap n go in the stores and restaurants that I frequent. It is an older technology that some see going away soon. Most small businesses aren't converting to tap n go unless they have to. It will be around a while. I like having both available just like having dual wireless charging standards where I can use any charging pad.

Last edited:

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site

About NFC

I know that, I was replying to the original OP question about MST capabilities as he indicated that was interested on setting it up for Pay pass terminals so I assumed he was only talking about MST and not NFC.

razza1987

Banned
May 16, 2015
Visit site
Just like everything else it probably won't come out in Australia for five years xd or is it not like apple pay and coming out everywhere at the same time?

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Use Google Wallet. Basically the same thing. ??????

No. MST is what everyone is waiting for, and it will be a game changer. No longer will you be restricted to merchants that have NFC enables terminals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non