Samsung Protection Plan vs Others

mjb0002

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site
I recently bought a Samsung Galaxy S6, and I am trying to decide whether or not to purchase the insurance plan.

I know there are some other threads on this topic, but now that the phone has been out for about a month and Samsung has released the Protection Plan for the S6, I wanted to get some refreshed information. I used Squaretrade for my last phone, and I had an outstanding experience with them. Theirs claims process was hassle free, and I received a refurbished device before having to send my broken one back.

However, I have read some recent reviews on Squaretrade, and it seems like their business has taken a bad turn. Many people said that they had a great experience in the past, but their recent claims did not go so well (trouble understanding the sales rep, having to jump through hoops, long process, etc.) When comparing the specs on the Samsung plan and Squaretrade plan, everything seems the same (claim price, deductible, phone shipped and then you ship the broken one, etc.) So, I just wanted to get some additional opinions on which one is best? Is it better to have the OEM send a replacement rather than a 3rd party? Has anyone had an experience with either of the plans? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your help.

metacuate

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Go samsung, lower deductible, better replacement and they refund it prorated if you trade in your phone after a year

Posted via the Android Central App

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Go samsung, lower deductible, better replacement and they refund it prorated if you trade in your phone after a year

I'm pretty sure if I have Samsung and they exchange my phone verizon won't take it on a trade. I'm on the edge program

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I'm pretty sure if I have Samsung and they exchange my phone verizon won't take it on a trade. I'm on the edge program

Do they consider one from the Samsung plan to not be an "approved" replacement? I know they will accept a replacement iPhone via Apple Care for trade, so it wouldn't make sense for them to deny a Samsung plan.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Do they consider one from the Samsung plan to not be an "approved" replacement? I know they will accept a replacement iPhone via Apple Care for trade, so it wouldn't make sense for them to deny a Samsung plan.

That's a good question. They made it sound like no they wouldn't

Kyle Tate

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
For the first time I am going without insurance on this phone. I know it sounds absolutely nuts, but I kept my S 5 just in case. I have always protected both previous Android phones and both previous Blackberry phones and never had a problem during my two year contracts. so I took a very low profile cover, & I coated it with extra screen protectors. If something goes wrong internally I will return it to the manufacturer along with my receipt because everything should continue to work for at least a year without a problem. Warranties on items should at least last that long.

Enahmir

May 9, 2015
Visit site
I've never had an insurance on my phones. I always have 2 phones, one for me and one for my man.
Currently note4 and s6.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Getting a correct answer from someone at verizon on whether a Samsung replacement is considered an authorized replacement will be next to impossible

mclark1242

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I have the Samsung plan, the biggest seller for me is the fact the oem fixes your phone with oem parts. Plus if you need a new phone wouldn't you want your refurbished replacement from Samsung directly?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I usually buy square trade. Have it for my nexus 6 and just bought it for my s6. Never had a claim, knock wood!

If I sell the device they give a prorated refund.

Posted via my Galaxy S6!

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I have the Samsung plan. As someone who has worked as a Sprint customer service rep I have heard and seen more then a few horror stories about Asurion phones and I wouldn't trust them with anything. For me the Samsung plan is cheaper then the carrier plan if broken down per month, has a cheaper claim and is either fixed with OEM parts or another phone from the OEM. Plus if Samsung expands their repair shop network like they say they want to it'll be even easier.

If I loose the phone then I can either get a $300ish moto phone or a used flagship phone.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
My gf and I signed up for a shared plan at verizon and both got s6's. The plan is under my name and I signed all the receipts. We both want to get the Samsung protection plan and I already ordered it for myself. My question is since I signed the receipt do I need to buy her plan under my name or can she do it herself since her phone is registered under her samsung account?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has loss and theft protection,but if you don't need that then Samsung is fine.

The Verizon legacy plan is $5.18/mo for asurion wireless phone protection (insurance) and the 32gb s6 has a deductible of $99. Current plan is higher. Extended warranty is more, but not needed if you don't keep the phone over a year

Sent from my Pearly White Verizon Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress