galaxy s6 camera is weird.

shaynd

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Ive been using an s4 for two years and loved it. Just recently got an S6 and everything seems great.

Im just wondering why the camera makes everything look weird. Its really good detail but just looks smudged if that makes sense.

With the S4 i always used Snapchat to take photos because it was much easier and the phone didnt process the image before displaying it, especially with the front camera it was much clearer, basically a screenshot of what was being displayed.

With the S6, using snapchat doesnt solve this anymore. Every photo i take looks like its been airbrushed. If i take a selfie my face looks like clay and the image quality is terrible. Its not crisp like the S4 was.

Dont get me started on night shooting.. the S4 camera front and back, kills the S6 in that regard.

Can anyone tell me why this is?
I cant find anything about it on the net.

Bwahahahaha

Banned
Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Doesn't sound at all like my camera experience with my edge. Blows the s4 outta the water. Play around with the settings a bit. I know that "clay" sorta airbrushed look can be dialed back or turned off completely. When taking a self shot, tap the "beauty" icon on the top and adjust the slider all the way down and that should take care of that "issue" ... Other than that, you just gotta play with the settings. Should definitely best the s4 in low light shots as well, without issue. Either there's something wrong with the sensor in yours, or no offense but I chalk it up to user error, so to speak.

Posted via the Android Central App

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
The difference between the S4 and S6 is the amount of processing that is done to the image after it is taken.

The S4 was notorious for over sharpening images to oblivion which to to the untrained consumer gives the effect of an amazingly sharp image with plenty of detail when in reality the detail isn't actually there.

Samsung toned this effect down significantly on the S6 and it is for the better.

The other thing is, Snapchat has been having some issues on the S6, upon release videos wouldn't play back on Snapchat and only recently have they started fixing the issues.

Russel John Pendon

May 24, 2015
Visit site
I know what you are talking about, I got my S6 yesterday and same as yourself, been using s4 for the past 2 years. I have also experienced the same problem, that the pictures i take using the front camera looks photoshopped or airbrushed, looked so matte more than camera360 beauty effect would give me.

It is also correct that adjusting the beauty setting to the lowest could correct this, though it would still remove some blemishes and would still give you a foundation finish look. Though in my experience, the quality of pictures using the front camera is superb compared to the S4, much clear regardless of the lighting.

I have downloaded the Camera 360 and it gives ma an awful result for front camera shooting, it's too much filtered, compared to camera 360 results on my S4. I guess the front camera is already programmed to make a matte finish result for selfie.

I have not seen the same problem in using the back camera.

downbeat4

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
The pasty look from the front facing camera is from the "beauty" feature. Tap on it and slide the bare to zero. Aside from that, the S6's camera smashes the S4's in every way... You may have a dud or somehow you've lowered the resolution... Check that

Phil Parsons

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
Got my S6 last month. Went to New York on vacation a couple if days later. Didn't take any other camera but my S6. I wasn't disappointed. This phone blows even the all might IPhone camera out of the water. I'd take yours back while you have the chance and get your provider to give you a new one.

Greg2600

May 24, 2015
Visit site
The plastic film doesn't cover the lens though. It has a hole in the center for the lens. I never took mine off for that reason

Good to know, I'll leave the film on mine then. Camera works great. Complaints only that the LED flash is blindingly bright, and the voice activation of the shutter doesn't work if the phone is more than 6 inches from you.

shaynd

May 23, 2015
Visit site
So ive figured out whats going on..

Its the actual screen thats making photos look weird on the S6. I took a photo with the front camera. Came out as usual. Airbrushed, foundation effect. I took the same pic with my S4. Crisp, sharp, fine.

I then sent the S6 image to my S4.
Wow, it looked so good. Clear, sharp no clay effect whatsoever. BETTER than the S4 pic.

So the camera is great. Front and back look 10x better when viewed on another device.
Its just the screen that sucks it appears.

I cant post image links here yet.. but i cant really show my screen as i see it anyways.

And i went to a few phone stores to see if mine had a problem. They're all the same.. "Its just how the display is shown"
A disinterested "sales assistant" mumbled..

I've a decision to make lol...

Last edited:

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
So ive figured out whats going on..

Its the actual screen thats making photos look weird on the S6. I took a photo with the front camera. Came out as usual. Airbrushed, foundation effect. I took the same pic with my S4. Crisp, sharp, fine.

I then sent the S6 image to my S4.
Wow, it looked so good. Clear, sharp no clay effect whatsoever. BETTER than the S4 pic.

So the camera is great. Front and back look 10x better when viewed on another device.
Its just the screen that sucks it appears.

I cant post image links here yet.. but i cant really show my screen as i see it anyways.

And i went to a few phone stores to see if mine had a problem. They're all the same.. "Its just how the display is shown"
A disinterested "sales assistant" mumbled..

I've a decision to make lol...

If your screen isn't looking good your phone is probably defective.

The screen on my S6 is the best looking screen I've ever seen! It's simply gorgeous! I have never seen another screen that even comes close.

Time to take a trip back and get that phone replaced...

shaynd

May 23, 2015
Visit site
But 4 different S6s all look the same as mine. The screen has the same effect when it comes to portrait photos or something close up.. Its not broken or anything thats just how it is now i guess and people are used to it.

I just think people cant see it.. or its normal now for LCD to look this way.

Im happy to be proven wrong but..

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
But 4 different S6s all look the same as mine. The screen has the same effect when it comes to portrait photos or something close up.. Its not broken or anything thats just how it is now i guess and people are used to it.

I just think people cant see it.. or its normal now for LCD to look this way.

Im happy to be proven wrong but..

The S6 doesn't have an LCD screen, it has an AMOLED screen. If you look at a high res photo from a web site, or a YouTube video, does the screen look good?

shaynd

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Ohh.. sorry yeah AMOLED :)

Yeah hd vids on youtube look amazing on the S6, 1440p or whatever it is, they're perfect.

Im very sure theres nothing wrong with the screen. Its hard to explain. Im not being super picky.. theres a big difference btw the quality of photos displayed on one screen to the other..

frustrating. I really like the S6. But if im stuck with looking at images like this then its no good for me.

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Ohh.. sorry yeah AMOLED :)

Yeah hd vids on youtube look amazing on the S6, 1440p or whatever it is, they're perfect.

Im very sure theres nothing wrong with the screen. Its hard to explain. Im not being super picky.. theres a big difference btw the quality of photos displayed on one screen to the other..

frustrating. I really like the S6. But if im stuck with looking at images like this then its no good for me.

Do you have any effects set in Snapchat? Try disabling all effects, see if that helps. Did you try just using the built-in camera interface? Does that make a difference? Make sure you disable all effects in the stock camera interface also.

Prince Alexander

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
Your not having a issue at all, it's nothing but beauty face. Which is automatically turned on, on the front facing camera. I believe you can turn it off or at least make the effect lower.

GotAnS6

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Mine was doing that too and the adjusting the beauty thing didn't seem to make a difference. I THINK I fixed it. Move the beauty setting down to zero then turn the HDR setting on and after a few minutes you should be able to turn it back off and it'll be better. Either that or I just convinced myself it looks better but I swear it does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa