Samsung S6 Fast charging burning smell

slam2

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone else had issues with their samsung s6 charger over heating? I had my phone plugged in for about an hour. I wasn't using the phone while it was charging. I started to smell burnt metal, grabbed my charger and it was burning hot...as in curling iron hot! I unplugged my phone immediately and smelled the burnt metal coming from phone. My phone is working, Im just afraid to plug it back in again. I've been having issues with my fast charging turning off and on throughout the past week. I called samsung and they said they can try to figure out what the issue is, fix it, then send my phone back to me. Has anyone else had this issue?!

nelamvr6

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I'v e not had any issues at all with my fast charger. It's prolly the charger, not the handset, but better safe than sorry...

KelseyRo4

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I didn't have a burning smell, but my first two phones were the s6 edge, and both of them would get extremely hot when using the fast charger, and then their screens stopped rotating afterwards. I have the regular s6 right now, and sometimes it does get rather warm when charging, so now I put it in ultra power saving mode when charging and that seems to help. At most now it will get a little warm, but it's mostly fine now

Posted via the Android Central App

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That sounds faulty. It shouldn't get that hot to let out a burning smell. The charger does get pretty warm but I've never had the phone burn.

tlo07

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm glad you weren't asleep when that happened! Definitely faulty and needs to be exchanged. I wouldn't trust the phone or the charger now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The burning metal smell from the phone probably indicates a short somewhere in the phone, causing the charger to overheat.

If you're in the US, go to a Best Buy (even if you didn't buy the phone there) and look for the Samsung rep in the cellphone department. They can verify the problem in a few minutes and arrange for a replacement phone and charger to be mailed to you.

If not, contact Samsung and ask for a replacement of both the phone and the charger. (The charger is probably still good - they'll just shut off it you really draw too much current from them - but I still wouldn't trust that one.)

Back everything up, of course (or as much as you can before the battery dies - the most important things first, just in case). See Backing up an Android Device.

lozo0055

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm brand new here so it won't let me post a link. But I found an article that describes this exactly. The fast charging basically overheats the phone on a hardware level. And no software fix can fix hardware problems. To know if this has happened to your phone go to the phone app and do the following.

Input *#0*#
Select "sensor"
Next as you look at the top of the screen move your phone around. The three axis should move. X,y,z if one is stuck. You've got a major problem. You can also hit the graph button and watch the axis change while you move your phone.

So basically the article said whatever you do, don't use the fast charge feature. I hope this helped.

Last edited:

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Your phone. Your phone. Your phone is on fire! we don't need no water let the MF burn!..... Oh wait.....

Posted via the Android Central App

Jimmyservis

Jul 5, 2015
Visit site
Hello

YES!! I put my phone on charge at 12:30 and woke up at 04:30 as I could smell a really strong melting metal/plastic smell. It almost smelt medicinal it was that strong I picked up my phone and instantly dropped it it was that hot. The metal edge on the phone has burnt and blistered my finger!! The bed was absolutely boiling hot and I had to put the phone by the window to call down. Restarted the phone and it said it had shut down to avoid overheating. It's going straight back to the shop!!! I updated the phones software last night before going to bed

bbtkd

Dec 27, 2014
Visit site
The first issue mentioned regarding the failed accelerometer is a known issue with the S6 Edge, where the accelerometer chip is close to the battery, which overheats with rapid charging. Haven't heard of this with the standard S6, but possible. Don't use rapid charging. For the person experiencing burning smell, definitely take it back.

teerexx87

Apr 22, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone else had issues with their samsung s6 charger over heating? I had my phone plugged in for about an hour. I wasn't using the phone while it was charging. I started to smell burnt metal, grabbed my charger and it was burning hot...as in curling iron hot! I unplugged my phone immediately and smelled the burnt metal coming from phone. My phone is working, Im just afraid to plug it back in again. I've been having issues with my fast charging turning off and on throughout the past week. I called samsung and they said they can try to figure out what the issue is, fix it, then send my phone back to me. Has anyone else had this issue?!
My first S6 was hot as you described but no metal smells coming from it. It would be very hot even unsyncing many Google, samsung, and AT&T bloat ware apps. The upper right corner would be the hottest. I got my replacement and there's no overheating issue, except one time when it needed to be sync.

I think Samsung should of done more of a quality control when producing the S6 and S6 edge. But that be another topic to discuss. But yes go

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

tam69sc

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site

tam69sc

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Yes my s6 burnt my fingers after just 10 mins..called told I have to pay $300 for loaner while they look at mine even though been with sprint 15 years no concern for my fingers being burnt..

Munnymikee

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes I have. I used the charger from my note 4 which is the speed charger just like the s6.it ruined my child's tablet and it's all burnt up. It's the only charger that will charge it and I can only do it for 10 mins at a time or it gets way to hot it burned my hand the first time I charged it.

aokusman1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
The first issue mentioned regarding the failed accelerometer is a known issue with the S6 Edge, where the accelerometer chip is close to the battery, which overheats with rapid charging. Haven't heard of this with the standard S6, but possible. Don't use rapid charging. For the person experiencing burning smell, definitely take it back.
My s6 accelerometer stopped working too. Sent it to Samsung on Sept 1st and still don't have it back. This is my last Samsung device ever. Support is terrible. How can you leave a customer without a phone for two weeks.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk