Samsung Protection Plan

duketreo

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering going with the Samsung Protection Plan. Verizon's insurance includes loss coverage but they have raised the price and deductible too much. I see Squaretrade has discounts all the time. Does Samsung ever offer discounts on their plans? All being equal, I'm better off with Samsung, no?

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
You can't go wrong with square trade or Samsung. Take your pick and I hope that you'll never need it.

Posted via the Android Central App

warpdrive

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Is there a benefit to either one other than Square Trade being cheaper?

Not in my mind. They both have benefits with maybe SquareTrade maybe being slightly better. (I went with SquareTrade btw)
But you can't go wrong with either one.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jamez Avila

Banned
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering going with the Samsung Protection Plan. Verizon's insurance includes loss coverage but they have raised the price and deductible too much. I see Squaretrade has discounts all the time. Does Samsung ever offer discounts on their plans? All being equal, I'm better off with Samsung, no?

Get some sort of protection plan. These phones are expensive and have glass on both sides. Rather be safe than sorry.

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy S6

cwise222

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I've heard good and bad things about Square Trade but they will likely get you the phone faster and they have a local repair option, but if they send you a refurb it's a shot in the dark as to the quality of it. That's a big issue with Asurion (the carrier insurance people), they send complete junk refurb phones out a lot.

With Samsung it will take longer to get the phone back, up to 2 or 3 weeks, and they will always try and fix it before they just replace it. However if they replace it you are getting either a Samsung refurb or a brand new S6. You can also only do 3 'damage' claims in 2 years, not sure if square trade has any sort of claim limit.

I went with Samsung since it's the OEM but both Samsung and Square Trade are pretty close to the same feature wise.

duketreo

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I've heard good and bad things about Square Trade but they will likely get you the phone faster and they have a local repair option, but if they send you a refurb it's a shot in the dark as to the quality of it. That's a big issue with Asurion (the carrier insurance people), they send complete junk refurb phones out a lot.

With Samsung it will take longer to get the phone back, up to 2 or 3 weeks, and they will always try and fix it before they just replace it. However if they replace it you are getting either a Samsung refurb or a brand new S6. You can also only do 3 'damage' claims in 2 years, not sure if square trade has any sort of claim limit.

I went with Samsung since it's the OEM but both Samsung and Square Trade are pretty close to the same feature wise.

I think I remember reading somewhere that Square Trade allows you insurance up to the value of your phone. I don't know if this includes price paid, in-contract or outright, or current replacement value. Not sure if having three repairs without worrying about money is better?