How can I get separate message tones for different contacts?

Miles Carter1

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I have gotten my custom mp3 files assigned to different contacts but the default notification sound overrides them so they all sound the same. I know there has to be a way to have each contact have a different tone because it was added as far back as s3 which I also currently still own as well and would like to have my contacts all have different tones so I know who's texting me. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

AKAndy

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if there is a way with the stock msg app, but I've always done this with Textra. Can also change the bubble notification and LED colors per contact.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

AndySG

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
I have a default message tone on my stock SMS app. And I have assigned personal message tones to some contacts. For me it works well, in that the personal message tones do override the default message tone.

iseededppl

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I have gotten my custom mp3 files assigned to different contacts but the default notification sound overrides them so they all sound the same. I know there has to be a way to have each contact have a different tone because it was added as far back as s3 which I also currently still own as well and would like to have my contacts all have different tones so I know who's texting me. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

The only way to do that is to open contacts and set the ringtone for each contact. But if you have done and its still defaulting to the normal text tone thats weird. Are you using the stock messaging app or google hangouts?

AlphaTango414

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Make sure you are adding the sound to the message tone and not the ring tone. You will have to hit the "add another field" at the bottom on the edit contact screen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if there is a way with the stock msg app, but I've always done this with Textra. Can also change the bubble notification and LED colors per contact.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Do you need the Pro version to have individual notification? If not, how do you have individual notifications depending on sender? Thanks.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Lollipop 5.0 Verizon network

AKAndy

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Do you need the Pro version to have individual notification? If not, how do you have individual notifications depending on sender? Thanks.

Not sure if this can be done in the free version, but I have it in the Pro version. You have to long tap the contact from the conversation list, and then tap the 3 dot menu button in the upper right corner, and then tap "override default settings".

nsanders

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I use the stock messaging app (Samsung, not the Verizon one). I go to a specific contact >edit>add another field>message tone. Then, I simply select a specific tone for that contact. I don't have any special settings in my default: Message notifications: On. Notification sound: Default notification sound (Whisper).

IMANUT46

Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
Not sure if this can be done in the free version, but I have it in the Pro version. You have to long tap the contact from the conversation list, and then tap the 3 dot menu button in the upper right corner, and then tap "override default settings".

It's in the free version. Thanks for your help.