Best dongle for mirroring screen to non-smart TV?

Vectorspace

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I would like to know what the best method is to mirror a Galaxy S6 screen to non-smart HDMI TV. Mostly for watching videos on Netflix, Youtube, and local video files (sometimes the native player, sometimes the MX Player app)

Searches of Google and this forum list a variety of ways to mirror the S6 screen to a HDMI wireless dongle for a non-smart TV, with conflicting info as to how well they work. Can anyone help on what the best method is?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Your best bet (and cheapest) is definitely a Chromecast. Works wonders! I even use it more than the stuff on my smart TV...on the smart TV! The best part is that if you want it to watch videos from Netflix and YouTube, your phone isn't actually doing anything; it's the Chromecast that's downloading and showing the videos directly (just like a Smart TV) and your phone can do other things. It does, however, support real screen mirroring,should you want that (like to show a game on screen or non-supported video apps). Local media playing is also a breeze and your phone acts as the 'server' with the Chromecast pulling the picture/video files off your phone.

Did I mention it was cheap, too? :)

Vectorspace

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Correct. If your connection isn't fast or stable quality may be too low and frames will skip
That's a shame. I wish Samsung hadn't dropped aupport for the physical MHL adapter.
I just found out that Chromecast supports somethong called Guest mode, that allows casting to any Chromecast in range without being in the same wifi network. How does that work, wifi direct?

Vectorspace

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Also - If I only want to mirror the screen, can I use guest mode to connect even if the Chromecast is not conmected to wifi? One place I used the MHL adapter with the S5 was in hotels where usually the wifi is no good for Chromecast, according to Google.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure Screen Mirroring works on Guest Mode, but I can test tonight. Since most video apps support Chromecast, once you initiate the 'casting' from any of those apps, the Chromecast takes over (which is why Guest mode doesn't need the controlling device to be on the same WiFi, it's only sending out commands, not actual data). IF screen mirroring works on Guest Mode, then yup, it would do so through Wi-Fi Direct.

Erm10

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Does Chromecast work for locally stored video? I only have a Chromecast audio right now and it only works for streaming music and not files stored on my phone.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Does Chromecast work for locally stored video? I only have a Chromecast audio right now and it only works for streaming music and not files stored on my phone.

Yes, it does... and I was under the impression that Chromecast Audio did as well.
https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6279416?hl=en (See fourth question)

I've used Chromecast to play local music/pictures/videos from my phone, can't speak for Chromecast Audio as I've never used it, but it shouldn't be any different.

Vectorspace

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
If you could try that SpookDroid that would be awesome! My concern is that maybe Chromecast won't let you do anything until it's got a wifi and/or internet connection.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I'll check, but the Chromecast page does say it needs an Internet connection to work. I know that at some point before the 2nd gen was released it was discussed that WiFi Direct was a possibility, but never really saw any confirmation. I'll let you know tonight though.

Erm10

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks - I guess you can't do it from the native Music player but sounds like I need to use a specific app. I already had AllCast installed on my phone and it works.

Thanks again Spook, this is huge!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks - I guess you can't do it from the native Music player but sounds like I need to use a specific app. I already had AllCast installed on my phone and it works.

Thanks again Spook, this is huge!

Glad I could point you in the right direction :) You can also try to do local audio casting (from the Chromecast app, like Screen Mirroring) and that should work for unsupported apps.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you could try that SpookDroid that would be awesome! My concern is that maybe Chromecast won't let you do anything until it's got a wifi and/or internet connection.

OK, here are my test results:
1) You DO need WiFi to do screen mirroring (or for the Chromecast to work, period!) and you need to be in the same WiFi for it to work (I did try with two different routers and if on different WiFi networks, the Chromecast app, where you have the screen mirroring option, doesn't find the Chromecast).
2) You DON'T need Internet for Screen Mirroring to Work, so if you're in a hotel, you can set up your laptop to act as a hotspot and connect both Chromecast and phone to it, even if it doesn't have internet...and if it does, well, it'll just share it.

Vectorspace

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Thanks all (especially SpookDroid) for your advice. I went ahead and bought a Chromecast, and I'm really liking it. Although it seems the app prevents me disabling wifi on my S5. If I turn the wifi off it instantly turns itself back on.

Erm10

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Glad I could point you in the right direction :) You can also try to do local audio casting (from the Chromecast app, like Screen Mirroring) and that should work for unsupported apps.

I never even noticed the screen casting option before - perhaps it wasn't available when I first got it at launch or I just never noticed it, I don't know. Now that I can simply cast screen I can just use native Music Playerr and it works MUCH better than separate Apps like AllCast.

You've helped me again!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc