How do I get microphone back in Samsung keyboard after Marshmallow update.

A

AC Question

The talk-to-text microphone is missing on my Samsung Keyboard after update on 4/7/16. I'm using a Galaxy 6. Google Talk stopped working as well.

esumsea

Apr 20, 2016
Visit site
When I do this I only get the emoji, Cliboard and settings icons. No microphone. I switched to the Swipe keyboard for a trail and when I came back to the samsung keyboard on my s7, the google voice to text app is not there. Please help

Chudmeister

Jun 2, 2016
Visit site
The key is to hold down on that key and the other ones appear! I had the same question! Thanks!

When I do this I only get the emoji, Cliboard and settings icons. No microphone. I switched to the Swipe keyboard for a trail and when I came back to the samsung keyboard on my s7, the google voice to text app is not there. Please help

myandroidgs6

Apr 27, 2016
Visit site
Try these :
First : Swipe down menu , make sure you check "Google voice typing" is on Auto.
Now back to keyboard ...: Press and hold the button right next to "SYM" .

2016-07-03_18-18-39.jpg

2016-07-03_18-15-53.jpg

Last edited:

Justgboots

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
Try these :
First : Swipe down menu , make sure you check "Google voice typing" is on Auto.
Now back to keyboard ...: Press and hold the button right next to "SYM" .

View attachment 231317

View attachment 231318

Nope that was not my reply. That was auto when I joined for first time. This tool between Sym and comma only has 3 options the microphone doesn't exist and the instructions for Google voice type don't either. I'm on a 2 week old Galaxy s7 and have the latest updates. I'm tired of spending weekends trying to get my phone to function. PLEASE FIX THIS. I SPEND HOURS IN MY CAR TO WORK AND NEED VOICE TO TEXT ASAP please!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Makinen79

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
Nope that was not my reply. That was auto when I joined for first time. This tool between Sym and comma only has 3 options the microphone doesn't exist and the instructions for Google voice type don't either. I'm on a 2 week old Galaxy s7 and have the latest updates. I'm tired of spending weekends trying to get my phone to function. PLEASE FIX THIS. I SPEND HOURS IN MY CAR TO WORK AND NEED VOICE TO TEXT ASAP please!!!!

I have the same problem. Bought an s7 August 2nd which had the mic in messages. Had to exchange that phone a week later due to it powering down and getting hot. The replacement s7 doesn't have the mic. I too have spent hours trying to figure it out researching online.

Makinen79

Sep 4, 2016
Visit site
I fixed it.<br />
I enabled the Google App and I now can see the mic oddly enough. When I enabled the google app Voice Search app also was activated.

caren18

Nov 9, 2016
Visit site
Not sure if you found out the solution but thought I would post in case someone was having the same problem. When you turn on google text under language, and do everything above, and you STILL have no microphone then you either do not have the google "blue box with a white g" Google app loaded (check under application) or it it turned off. Once you enable it then the microphone will appear...finally.

Bubbles323

Dec 5, 2016
Visit site
Not sure if you found out the solution but thought I would post in case someone was having the same problem. When you turn on google text under language, and do everything above, and you STILL have no microphone then you either do not have the google "blue box with a white g" Google app loaded (check under application) or it it turned off. Once you enable it then the microphone will appear...finally.

I also had the keyboard with only clipboard, settings and emoji offered on the key to the left of the space bar until I went to a different app (texting) and then when I long pressed the key the mic was offered also. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

scarchelli

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site

Just posting incase someone googles this like me in the future. ENABLE THE GOOGLE APP IN APPLICATIONS. Mine was disabled and upon enabling it, I got the icon back.

cinelid

Sep 7, 2017
Visit site
Iam using the Google keyboard. I don't have Google Voice typing as an option.

OK, I held down the emoji icon (2nd from left) and the mic is back. THANK YOU. What a PITA without it.

Glassslipper

Oct 6, 2017
Visit site
Awesome! Worked for me on my new Galaxy S8+ but I must also mention that I CHANGED MY DEFAULT KEYBOARD FROM THE SAMSUNG TO GOOGLE AS WELL AS did the above and. . . . VIOLA!!!! SUPPPPERRRRR HAPPPPY!!!!! THANKS!!!!!

ifixedit

Mar 1, 2017
Visit site
None of that worked for me. I knew the press and hold button would pull a mic up most of the time because I had an S3 but I now have the Galaxy S5 and I can't figure out why there is not one way to do something on all of the Samsung phones- why do they have to make everything different for every model and trickier.. I almost mailed this back in tomorrow's mail since I got it from Amazon used and decided to buy an iPhone when I could because I was so upset after spending weeks (and this is my second s5 with the data and mic problems), and I could not get WiFi outside of the house where we have a modem that we have a password into.. For the wifi, I called my service provider and they gave me new APN information to enter under settings and I was able to turn the house WiFi off which is what I have been using for internet, and still was able to look something up so I hope that fixed it. I won't be sure until I am driving down the road and need the automated lady to tell me how to get to someplace in this new city I'm in. Some things that you enter under the APN settings, need to be in all capital letters which I did not know also. So for the microphone I downloaded a different keyboard and even though it was the crazy one that you had to hold down and use I believe it was a 3 x 4 it saI'd. . I used it for a while and thumped around.. powered it off and back on, (not restart but actually power off and then back on). Then I went back to using Samsung keyboard and voice to text I set to Automatic and powered it off and back on again and then I got my normal keyboard back and a :) where the microphone should be and then I was able to hold down the :) and bring up the microphone. These phones can be such a nightmare for people like me-this is why I use them until they literally stop working.

ifixedit

Mar 1, 2017
Visit site
Let me also say, I love it that you Android people have all come together in a spot where we can search for answers because every version of the phone is different, even if it's the same phone, I've had two of the same Samsung Galaxy S5 but 1 was the Kit Kat model and one with something else. So, it's very nice to have help here, otherwise I would buy a used iPhone and say a prayer that it worked.