No audible/vibrate for text if that user's texts are open

enchant1

Jul 4, 2016
Visit site
My text notifications work fine, mostly. Someone will send me a text and I'll get the appropriate ringtone and vibrate notification. I open that person's text thread and see the new message. If they now send me another text while I have it open, the phone gives no ringtone or vibration. Assuming that I'm looking AT the screen, this isn't a problem, but if I happen to be looking away, I can get a new text and not know about it. Is this an option that I can modify?

Samsung Galaxy 6 active

Last edited:

krisqz

May 7, 2013
Visit site
That's a normal behavior I think. AFAIK most of IM apps work the same way. Why would you need a physical feedback if app is open and screen is unlocked?

enchant1

Jul 4, 2016
Visit site
Why would you need a physical feedback if app is open and screen is unlocked?

Example: I'm at a restaurant waiting for a friend. I text asking where he is. He replies he's on his way. I leave the phone on the table and accept my drink order, during which he sends me another text asking another question. I never know about it.

krisqz

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Wow, that's a very specific situation. Maybe your screen timeout should be longer? You just need a glance to know someone messaged you.

Last edited:

enchant1

Jul 4, 2016
Visit site
No, it's not specific at all. It's one example and I could give you others. You need to know to glance. Also, I have to pull out my glasses so I can read the text to see if it's a new one. I don't sit there staring at my phone waiting for messages to come through. I have a ringtone and vibration to alert me to that, in much the same way that I don't want to have to keep putting the phone to my ear and saying "Hello" because someone might have called me. In that particular instance, I was sitting at the bar with another friend talking and watching a football game. My attention was nowhere near the phone.

If it can't do it, it can't do it. I just have to remember that every time a text comes in, I've got to immediately turn the phone off so that it'll alert me. IMO, it's a shortcoming that didn't exist on the S3.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JackMarkers