Samsung Announces Fix to Galaxy S7 Active Phone in Response to Consumer Reports Dunk update Jul 20

atz06

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
To play it safe, I wonder S7 Active owners shall perform a 5 ft/30 minutes test at home before the 1-year warranty is over.

Rds030903

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site
It doesn't matter. They can talk and say whatever.

If this was the case i should be having a new phone mail to me not waiting on my phone to repaired.

And phone is currently awaiting parts

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Article says "Phones now being shipped should be problem-free, according to Berne. However, to his knowledge, Galaxy S7 Active devices already in stores were not being removed from inventory."

I guess I will wait a few months before upgrading to ensure I get one of the new problem free S7As...

tkuhe

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Good to here. Nice that you can return directly to att if need be. I plan on testing my device after the weekend.

FLTimmyB

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
That was my thinking too Phoneguy108, give it a few months to get the old ones out of stock, I wish they would have given a serial number series of problem units.

bkrell

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Kills me that they said they found a problem on the assembly line yet still won't just offer a replacement without the whole "if it fails under warranty " line though. I'm glad I still have my water damaged iPhone as a backup.....

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I'd personally hold out for a few months if I'm considering one of these.

Samsung should replace current S7As under warranty if it is damaged by water, though YMMV, depending on the store.

(LG G3 - Android 6.0)

Slade8525

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
hahaha thats awesome; basically a free phone if you screw yours up, and the 'return to retailer' part, IF they let you swap it in-store, is even better! give it about 6-9 months, clear out all the old stock, free, brand new replacement... gotta love the power of the internet; democratizing the power of consumers, and being able to leverage it easily against huge corporations.

PLaBar

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Waiting and hoping is not an consumer friendly solution. So 8 months from now a S7A gets water damage.
Owner takes it back to AT&T. Will there be a $35 restock fee? AT&T rep notices a scratch on the screen and says warranty doesn't cover damage - sorry no exchange. Just seems like there is room for ambiguity in the process.

ric2001

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
They should extend the warranty to 2 years for water damaged phones for those phones manufactured prior to their "fix". This is how long I'm going to be paying for it and how long I need to have it before upgrading.

LonestarROB

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Don't know how much weight this holds but spoke to an AT&T rep today. I was seeking info about how one would know if they purchased a fixed S7A or the faulty one. The guy told me he had "it" ( a note, letter, email, I don't know) "right here" saying all currently stocked S7A were to be pulled off the shelf.

Who knows, just thought I'd share.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
How would anyone really know if their device is fully IP68 compliant unless they run it through those conditions?

If you bought a device manufactured before today, then it may/may not pass the test. It seems that Samsung's "fix" will allow all devices manufactured from 7/21/2016 on, will be IP68 compliant.

If your device has been sent in for repair, how can you be sure the repair tech has sealed it properly.

Posted via the Android Central App

LonestarROB

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
ATT are clueless. Every time I contact them I get a different answer. Today the guy said that the "fixed" S7A is on store shelves and also he was unaware of any issues with the S7A. All in the same conversation. :D