S7 Active Fails Consumer Reports Water Test

Phoneguy108

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's sheer coincidence that 2 Actives failed in CR's test.

And this is Consumer Reports, not a random YouTube channel, nor is it TechRax. This is a legitimate, no-nonsense publication for consumer info. A lot of companies take them seriously. Ask some automakers.

Samsung did come out with a statement, but I think they should do more than that. I think the Active could do with a minor redesign internally that makes it better able to resist water and extend the warranty program for the S7A to include a replacement for a water damaged device.

Both the S7 and the S7 edge, which are not designed for an outdoor lifestyle, did survive CR's test, so this is very odd indeed.

Posted via the Android Central App

Well said!

Thud Hardsmack

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
The bottom line is that Samsung cannot hide behind "water damage not covered" if they advertise IP68 certification. That is a specific standard that is not subject to interpretation. The Active is advertised as IP68 compliant so any water intrusion within the IP68 boundaries is by definition a manufacturing defect. Either the Active is - as advertised - IP68 compliant OR the Active is not actually IP68 compliant and the advertising needs to change.

They can, because they can point to the manual and say "they were warned".

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Thing is, I actually somewhat disagree with Phil's statement, saying that there needs to be more data points.

I'd agree if CR only tested one phone and it failed. However, they tested 2, and both failed. To me, that's already enough to give me some concern, especially since the non-Active S7s went through the same test and passed.

And I'd think twice before casting my doubts on Consumer Reports' tests. Remember that I said a lot of companies, especially automakers, take them seriously? For example, the publication did not recommend the 2010 Lexus GX460 after it failed one of their safety tests. Toyota had to temporarily suspend sales of the GX and acknowledged the problem after its own tests. They issued a recall and the updated variant passed CR's test.

Now, I'm not saying Samsung should suspend sales of the S7A, because this isn't really a safety issue in general, but they should really do something that benefits the consumers in response, like warranty replacements for water damage and future models getting a minor internal redesign, like how the S Pen slot on the Note 5 got a minor redesign after people got the S Pen stuck in it when put backwards.

tkuhe

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Samsung Official Announcement
[Official Statement] Response to Consumer Reports GS7 Active Water Resistance Test - Samsung Newsroom

The Galaxy S7 Active has received high scores in many reviews. It is IP68 certified for water resistance and has gone through strict quality assurance testing to ensure that it meets and exceeds industry standards.
We are currently speaking with Consumer Reports to understand their experience and will closely explore their feedback.
Media Contact:
Andrew Bowins
(Corporate Communications Team)
a.bowins@sea.samsung.com

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Thing is, I actually somewhat disagree with Phil's statement, saying that there needs to be more data points.

I'd agree if CR only tested one phone and it failed. However, they tested 2, and both failed. To me, that's already enough to give me some concern, especially since the non-Active S7s went through the same test and passed.

And I'd think twice before casting my doubts on Consumer Reports' tests. Remember that I said a lot of companies, especially automakers, take them seriously? For example, the publication did not recommend the 2010 Lexus GX460 after it failed one of their safety tests. Toyota had to temporarily suspend sales of the GX and acknowledged the problem after its own tests. They issued a recall and the updated variant passed CR's test.

Now, I'm not saying Samsung should suspend sales of the S7A, because this isn't really a safety issue in general, but they should really do something that benefits the consumers in response, like warranty replacements for water damage and future models getting a minor internal redesign, like how the S Pen slot on the Note 5 got a minor redesign after people got the S Pen stuck in it when put backwards.

Good thing AC doesn't review cars, or AC's response would be the failed test means "nothing." AC drove it's Lexus-provided review car around town without a problem. And one failed crash test isn't statistically significant.

PSA: few journalists and bloggers are scientists or statisticians, they just write about people who are.

Also, heading off the indignant stuff I've read elsewhere, obviously this is the tiniest of issues in the scheme of the world, or even the US right now, however some people are capable of thinking about two things at once.

Last edited:

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Good thing AC doesn't review cars, or AC's response would be the failed test means "nothing." AC drove it's Lexus-provided review car around town without a problem. And one failed crash test isn't statistically significant.

PSA: few journalists and bloggers are scientists or statisticians, they just write about people who are.

Also, heading off the indignant stuff I've read elsewhere, obviously this is the tiniest of issues in the scheme of the world, or even the US right now, however some people are capable of thinking about two things at once.
Yeah, I think Phil went off the mark there.

R.I.P GPe program

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I have not had an issue with my S7 Active and water resistance. I wonder if this is bad batch of devices? Anyways... this is troubling.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Pulled the trigger on a squaretrade 2 year plan yesterday just in case. Had a $20 off coupon. Today is the 30th day I have had my S7 Active. Whew!

Posted via my S7 Active with Samsung Pay!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Pulled the trigger on a squaretrade 2 year plan yesterday just in case. Had a $20 off coupon. Today is the 30th day I have had my S7 Active. Whew!

Posted via my S7 Active with Samsung Pay!
That's not a bad thing to do. You never know what could happen.

evan_2k

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
How does squaretrade coverage compare to samsung plus or att?

Been following this thread for awhile now, looking at getting the S7A. I'm more interested the battery + wireless charging then the water resistance. But if there ever is a time I would need it to resist water, I would like to know that it actually would.

The difference in warranties would help with my decision based on who gives the better of them.

tkuhe

May 6, 2016
Visit site
From live chat on Samsung website:
Mazharuddin M: I see that as of now the protection plus is not available for S 7 active, however you can check the availability with the protection plus team, I will help you with the contact details.

benjamminh

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
The plot thickens. This is starting to feel like a dud (Yes, I know you only hear from people with problems), but reading the screen crack thread is another area too.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
How does squaretrade coverage compare to samsung plus or att?

129 for 2 years damage coverage for a 99. I have had it for several phones but have never used it. If you get rid of the phone, you can cancel and get a refund or transfer to new owner. Check the square trade website for more info.

Last edited:

tkuhe

May 6, 2016
Visit site
I hope we hear something soon from Samsung regarding the CR test. I really want this phone and dont plan on taking it under water but also want to know that if I do, there wont be any issues.

PLaBar

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Picked up a Gal S7 Active 4 days ago. Didn't know about the CR test until after I purchased. I love the phone. For me it was either Galaxy S7 Edge or S7 Active. They both have the same water resistant stats so I went with the active because it had a shatter proof screen. Now I feel uneasy as I chose the phone for extra durability, but it seems it's less durable. Should I return it for the S7 Edge?

Thx
Phil

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sáenz