Lost pictures?

DMH82

Aug 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi. I've just moved photos from phone to sd card and half of them just show a grey screen with a picture symbol and exclamation mark. I've tried to move them back and they're the same on the device, although they're showing as a jpeg file when I try and send them to my wife it says that there not an image file.

When moving the pictures it did ask if I wanted to replace or rename the 2nd lot of photos that I moved across and I selected rename. I think this may be the reason why.

Is there anyway of getting them back?

Cheers

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is your phone rooted? Just wondering, since you posted in the S7 edge Rooting/ROMs/Hacks forum.

Chances are that you have a bad SD card, and the files became corrupted when they were moved there. This is why you should always use the Copy command, rather than Move, since the former doesn't automatically delete the source files once the operation is complete. Once you've ascertained that the target files are intact, then you can delete the source.

Install SD Insight to see if the card is genuine or counterfeit. Counterfeit cards are programmed to report more storage than they actually have, and if you try saving more than the card can actually hold, then files can start getting corrupt.

If it's a valid card, then go to Settings>Storage, Unmount the card, remove it, and insert it into your computer. Can the computer read these files? Backup as much as you can right now, then run chkdsk to look for bad sectors: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...guide-using-chkdsk-fix-corrupted-sd-card.html. If it finds bad sectors, and the photos aren't crucial to save, then go ahead and allow chkdsk to try repairing those sectors. If the photos are really precious, then you'll have to try recovering them using 3rd party software: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...-s/500142-guide-recovering-deleted-files.html