Galaxy S7 Edge - early issues thread

nastynate2002

Feb 22, 2016
Visit site
I've noticed this bug as well. Also can't delete photos off of my device using the Google photos app even though it has permission to storage

Posted via the Android Central App

handsomedude

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
I am having an odd and irritating issue. Haven't seen anyone else post about it so hopefully I just ended up with a bad phone and it's not indicative of the S7 Edge (US Cellular Snapdragon).

So a few hours after I brought the phone home from the store (March 9th) I noticed the time on my phone was off by almost 20 minutes. Turns out it had froze and I had to do the battery pull simulation task (volume down and power for several seconds?...) to get the phone to reboot. Since then my phone has randomly rebooted or frozen and rebooted close to 20 times.

There does not appear to be any rhyme or reason as to when and why it does this. Sometimes it does it when I am not using the phone, other times when I am using the browser or watching a video. Especially annoyed when it did this in the middle of a fantasy baseball draft! So I called US Cellular to get some ideas. First thing was remove the SD card - no help. Next was a app cache and system partition cache wipe - nope. Then we did a factory reset and reinstalled everything including apps - still acting up. Last we tried another factory reset but this time we did not reload Google or Samsung accounts or apps. Still failed!

US Cellular is sending a new phone to replace this one. Again, hopefully this is a rare and isolated failure, however, I wanted to share my story in case anyone else is dealing with a similar situation.

TimSingh

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
I have Sprint Service and just got phone. One major issue I have come across is WIFI calling...it gives me an error and I cannot use. I called Sprint and they say its a Samsung issue! Hope they can fix.

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Welp..I wanted a replacement for this but T mobile doesn't have any. Back ordered. Just got off the phone with Advanced Tech. The sad thing is the tech said the replacement of the S7 edge is not even in the system yet.

A few days ago. The home button and previous apps button on left of home button quit working. I had to restart 3 times that day to fix it. The back button still works. No problems with that again until about a hour ago. It did the same thing but now a reboot will not fix it. After multiple reboots still not fixed? I rebooted with and without SD card in?

What should I do?

1. Walk into a local Tmobile and ask for a replacement maybe they have one in stock locally? I am in my 14 day grace period.
2. Try a hard reset 1st? (I figured I would do this in a store after I showed them in person what was happening.)
3. Get another phone?

I realize that being an early user of something like this things happen but at least save a few backups in for your long time customers or any customer for that fact. I have been with Tmobile 14 years.

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Welp..I wanted a replacement for this but T mobile doesn't have any. Back ordered. Just got off the phone with Advanced Tech. The sad thing is the tech said the replacement of the S7 edge is not even in the system yet.

A few days ago. The home button and previous apps button on left of home button quit working. I had to restart 3 times that day to fix it. The back button still works. No problems with that again until about a hour ago. It did the same thing but now a reboot will not fix it. After multiple reboots still not fixed? I rebooted with and without SD card in?

What should I do?

1. Walk into a local Tmobile and ask for a replacement maybe they have one in stock locally? I am in my 14 day grace period.
2. Try a hard reset 1st? (I figured I would do this in a store after I showed them in person what was happening.)
3. Get another phone?

I realize that being an early user of something like this things happen but at least save a few backups in for your long time customers or any customer for that fact. I have been with Tmobile 14 years.

Another question, Is there some app that might clean things up to fix this problem? CCleaner or Clean Master? Just trying to figure thing out.

handsomedude

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
Yes sir would try a factory reset first. If it still has issues take it to the store and inform them of the issue and see if they can help or obtain a new phone for you.

10001110101-75

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
I usually just keep holding the power button until it restarts.

I got my S7 Edge on the 9th and it froze and rebooted itself twice so far and then today the power and volume down stopped working. I was able to fix it but I'm wondering are these just glitches or should I seek an exchange or possibly go back to my Note 4?

Thanks

Bryant Laney

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
For the first time tonight mine froze and restarted in the middle of me using it. I had just turned off Bluetooth and wifi location accuracy about 1 minute before it happened don't know if that had anything to do with it it. I have had mine since the 3rd and have had no issues so far other than I'm only averaging 3-5 hours of SoT which honestly is plenty than me and it's still better than my G4 was.

kman00

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
I have issues with WiFi. No Google services work on WiFi at all. When WiFi is turned off, all google services work(play store, movies, music). We have 2 phones and it ius doing the same thing on both.

I had that Issue, wifi worked great on everything but google services. what I did was I tried to connect to my "guest" network and walla everything worked fine. still not sure what causes it.
I read some people tried to reset their router and that seemed to have fixed the issue, I personally haven't tried that approach. Sticking with my guest network for now.

Last edited:

Bryant Laney

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Also can anyone help me with why my android system is using so much power? Everyday since I've got this phone it's been the biggest consumer of power.

Attachments

• 302.jpg
    302.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 215

kman00

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Also can anyone help me with why my android system is using so much power? Everyday since I've got this phone it's been the biggest consumer of power.

I suggest you click on "Android system" scroll down to "Included packages" and see whats there. it's normal for it to consume the most amount of battery.

Chloe Dunkley

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
I don't have the s7 edge but my standard s7 edge just had a problem when during a call, the screen went black like usual but when I took my head away it wouldn't come back on. I tried resetting the phone, hard and soft to no avail, cleaning the screen, plugging it in, nothing worked. Woke up a few hours later and it was back to normal... hope it doesn't happen again -.-

xguntherc

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same screen dimming problem with games. I am going to take it into "The Samsung Experience" @ Best Buy tomorrow and see what they say.

I've notice that, I really think it has something to do with the Game Tools being on.

Same problem here on two different Galaxy S7 units. Games go extremely dark when launched. You can watch the screen brightness return when you hit home. It's like night/day difference sitting next to the Galaxy Note 5. I can game on 30% brightness, but to look the same, S7 Edge needs to be at like 70%.

Changing screen modes doesn't help this, settings auto brightness on/off doesn't fix it, and the Game Launcher on and off doesn't help either. I've tried every setting and can't get this to stop. It's ruining gaming for me. I've asked Samsung, awaiting reply as we speak.

MetalKore

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
When my phone is locked and I get a notification, it plays the notification tone and the LED lights up - But, nothing appears on my screen. This happens with AOD on and off. I have to press home key to actually see the notification on my lock screen. I thought that when you receive a notification (depending on your settings) the lock screen comes on and you can see the notification without having to press any buttons.

anon(470989)

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
When my phone is locked and I get a notification, it plays the notification tone and the LED lights up - But, nothing appears on my screen. This happens with AOD on and off. I have to press home key to actually see the notification on my lock screen. I thought that when you receive a notification (depending on your settings) the lock screen comes on and you can see the notification without having to press any buttons.

This is only when you use the samsung apps, such as their stock SMS and email app. Other notifications will not show an icon on the AOD.

vindogg80

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue less than 48 hours into my new S7 Edge (Verizon). After several restarts and calling best buy all angry, to find out they didn't have one I could exchange for in stock, I decided to try a factory reset.... It worked, which was good, but after spending the normal 2+ hours restoring apps/data/home screen, I wasn't pleased with having to do it all again.

it's been about 24 hours since the reset and everything seems ok. It seems to be a software bug, but I'm not sure what causes it. If it happens again though, I will be brining it back and returning to my Nexus 6P... it's little things like that that made me get away from Samsung in the first place. Anyone find a solution that didn't involve a total wipe?

racingvike

Mar 14, 2016
Visit site
I was having the EXACT same issue and am on Sprint as well. Here is how I fixed.

Go to settings->applications->application manager->MORE in top right->show system apps

Look for Bluetooth Share. Force Stop then Storage and clear cache. Back out and try Wi-fi calling again. Worked for me immediately. Weird that it was Bluetooth causing it, but it worked. I was also having issues with email apps updating while on wi-fi and this appears to have cleared that up as well.

I have Sprint Service and just got phone. One major issue I have come across is WIFI calling...it gives me an error and I cannot use. I called Sprint and they say its a Samsung issue! Hope they can fix.

onthecouchagain

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Is anyone constantly getting the "For additional security" prompt at the lock screen that is asking you for your backup unlocking method instead of the finger print scanner? It's happening to me literally 10 or more times in the past hour.

Is anyone else getting this, too?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87