S7 edge Battery life

vr002sh

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
re: S7 edge Battery life is very good

The original Samsung one (the little square one) is difficult to get lined up, but i have both and aftermarket one that is also a stand and the newer (not the soon to be released one) from Sammy and both work great. Also i have a windshield mount for my truck that is wireless, it too works great.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

I wouldn't make a habit of of drawing the battery down that far. Best to charge it before it gets below 10%.

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site

I wouldn't make a habit of of drawing the battery down that far. Best to charge it before it gets below 10%.

Thanks. Out of curiosity, why is it better? I always thought it was better for the 1st few cycles of a new battery to let it go all the way down?

Rishi Bhatia

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site

Why is Android System still the #1 battery drain on the S7 Edge, even beating out the power consuming screen?

Rose4uKY

May 8, 2010
Visit site

So which is it should i let it drain way down and then fully charge the 1st few times does that really calibrate the battery? Do I need to do that? And let it get to 10% than charge or down to 1% Just curious what most people do and what is best for the battery. I know on my HTC it's say 7% left then I'll go to text and it just dies

Thanks. Out of curiosity, why is it better? I always thought it was better for the 1st few cycles of a new battery to let it go all the way down?

inffy

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site

You dont need to let it drain to 0. It's not even advised to let the phone reach that low. In the long run it will just hurt the battery more

Dukins

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site

I think mc4nam was merely trying to show the masses how good the battery was. In this case, no harm no foul. Especially good to see him/her go down to 1% for those that don't have there phone yet. Thank you.

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site

I think mc4nam was merely trying to show the masses how good the battery was. In this case, no harm no foul. Especially good to see him/her go down to 1% for those that don't have there phone yet. Thank you.

Thanks. I really had no idea it was bad for my phone to drain battery all the way down. Day 3 results will be posted with 10% or more left.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Thanks. I really had no idea it was bad for my phone to drain battery all the way down. Day 3 results will be posted with 10% or more left.

It's not great, but the phone isn't REALLY dropping the battery down to 0%. The phone shuts down long before the battery is "dead", and while (in theory) keeping your battery between 20% and 80% indicated is putting a tiny bit less wear-and-tear on the battery, with good batteries and a smart charging system the difference tends to be pretty negligible over a couple of years.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Anyone see indications that Doze is functioning correctly? Looking at the graphs, I don't see many of those flatline spans that usually indicate that the Doze service is active.

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Anyone see indications that Doze is functioning correctly? Looking at the graphs, I don't see many of those flatline spans that usually indicate that the Doze service is active.
At least on mine it doesn't seem to kick in like how it was on the 6P. May be because I'm using the phone too often :)

Will keep an eye in the next few days once the new phone syndrome dies down.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

I have a feeling most people don't know how to configure this setting. Or they're using their phones way too often.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site

Thanks. Out of curiosity, why is it better?

It's a heat issue. The further down you drain the battery, the longer it's going to take to charge up again. Quick Charge will run more current, thus more heat, into the battery than the older charging methods.

I always thought it was better for the 1st few cycles of a new battery to let it go all the way down?

I think that applied to older batteries, i.e. not Lithium batteries.

Sometimes with an older battery whose charge is not calibrated with the battery meter, it is recommended to run it almost all the way down, then power it down and charge it overnight.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site

It's a heat issue. The further down you drain the battery, the longer it's going to take to charge up again. Quick Charge will run more current, thus more heat, into the battery than the older charging methods.

It's actually not heat but low power thresholds damage the cells of the battery over time. heat just corrodes them, which ultimately damages them.

mc4nam

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site

I think that applied to older batteries, i.e. not Lithium batteries.

Sometimes with an older battery whose charge is not calibrated with the battery meter, it is recommended to run it almost all the way down, then power it down and charge it overnight.

It's actually not heat but low power thresholds damage the cells of the battery over time. heat just corrodes them, which ultimately damages them.

Thanks Gentleman. Not going lower than 10% anymore.