Iphone Guy coming to android

GR0D

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Hey everybody,.

Been in Iphone for long time and decided to switch since I got tired and I noticed that android has different type of options for the same thing. For example: In Iphone there is Apple Pay but in Android there is Android Pay, Samsung Pay, Google Wallet and so on with other options.

So what I want to basically know is what are the most common native apps to use. thank you in advance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and welcome to droidier side!:p There are so many apps available that it would be helpful if you told us what kinds of apps you use commonly.

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Hey everybody,.

Been in Iphone for long time and decided to switch since I got tired and I noticed that android has different type of options for the same thing. For example: In Iphone there is Apple Pay but in Android there is Android Pay, Samsung Pay, Google Wallet and so on with other options.

So what I want to basically know is what are the most common native apps to use. thank you in advance.

Google Wallet is more like Paypal. You send and receive money. Android Pay is more like the Apple Pay you're familiar with. Samsung Pay though... AMAZEBALLS.

Last edited:

GR0D

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and welcome to droidier side!:p There are so many apps available that it would be helpful if you told us what kinds of apps you use commonly.

I use basic things such as Email app calendar evernote, docusing things like that. But my main thing is to know which native apps are the most recommended since there seems to be like I said, several option. In the iphone I did use Find my Iphone app a lot and I noticed that samsung has a find my phone but also I thing that google has one, which one is better? Is creating an account with samsung beneficial? and so on...

Google Wallet is more like Paypal. You send and receive money. Android Pay is more like the Apply Pay you're familiar with. Samsung Pay though... AMAZEBALLS.

Is there a way to disable android pay?? I noticed that AT&T added a bunch of things I dont use... is there a way to disable so I dont compromise on speed etc...?

Thank you again.

GR0D

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Hey again,

Most apps I use are withint the store such as evernote, docusign, periscope and so on. My main interest are the native ones... Like I noticed the Email app but there also the Gmail app... so which one is better? and how can I disable the other one. Is it beneficial to create an account with samsung? I noticed there is a find my phone samsung and a google find my phone, which is better? and so on.

thank you again and apologies for the stupid questions

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
I have a Samsung account and the biggest benefit I can find is that it forces you to enter a password to use the phone if it detects it's been factory reset using the hot keys. That and access to Galaxy Apps store.

I also prefer using the Inbox by Gmail app that you can grab from Google Play. You can disable the stock email app by going into Application Manager in your Settings or using an app like Package Disabler Pro which also disables a ton of bloatware.

GR0D

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
I have a Samsung account and the biggest benefit I can find is that it forces you to enter a password to use the phone if it detects it's been factory reset using the hot keys. That and access to Galaxy Apps store.

I also prefer using the Inbox by Gmail app that you can grab from Google Play. You can disable the stock email app by going into Application Manager in your Settings or using an app like Package Disabler Pro which also disables a ton of bloatware.

KimJonOMG thank you again, in terms of finding my phone what would you say is the best option?

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
KimJonOMG thank you again, in terms of finding my phone what would you say is the best option?

I like using Google because their services are up and running 99.99999% of the time. I don't have as much confidence in Samsung unfortunately.

Samsung's Find My Mobile does give you a ton of remote access control features, such as:

Ring my device
Emergency mode
Ultra power saving mode
Protect my device
Lock my screen
Wipe my device
Reactivation lock
Lock Samsung Pay
Wipe Samsung Pay
Unlock my screen
Disable Reactivation lock

But Google is well, Google.

Just make sure you leave location on to use the locate phone feature whether you use Google or Samsung to track your phone.

Edit: Samsung doesn't need location to be left on.

Last edited:

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Thank you! I think Google will be, hopefully they offer similar features for find my android option

Holy crap I just found out Samsung's find my mobile locates your phone even if location has been set to off. I think I'll be using Samsung's service from now on...

Just navigate to findmymobile.samsung.com to use your remote access features after you sign up for a Samsung account.

GR0D

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Holy crap I just found out Samsung's find my mobile locates your phone even if location has been set to off. I think I'll be using Samsung's service from now on...

Just navigate to findmymobile.samsung.com to use your remote access features after you sign up for a Samsung account.

Wow that is good to know!
Now I have more questions. Me and my wife moved to android.. How can I get see her phone and share stuff with her like in iphone?

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Wow that is good to know!
Now I have more questions. Me and my wife moved to android.. How can I get see her phone and share stuff with her like in iphone?

You can send her pictures by tapping the backs of the phones together. Just make sure NFC is on both phones.

Now if you're talking about an iCloud like feature, back up your photos to Google Photos and you can share an album with whomever you choose. You can also access your Google Photos by going to photos.google.com and from there, you can create a share album and it's pretty self explanatory from there.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks to KimJongOMG for all of that good info! (I love that screen name, BTW! :cool: )

I would agree that a lot of Google's own apps and services work extremely well. They're reliable, as KimJongOMG mentioned, and your data is kept safe in the cloud (which is very important, since anything can happen to a device). It's also very convenient, because you can then access that data from any other device or computer that's logged into your account. Here are some thoughts:

--I find Google Drive to be invaluable, and highly recommend it as your cloud storage (although it never hurts to have other options like Box, Dropbox, etc.).
--For notetaking, I like Google Keep, which is technically part of Drive, but has a separate app.
--Google Photos is a terrific photo cloud storage solution. You can set it to automatically back up your photos to the cloud as soon as you take them, and if you set it to save as "High Quality" (anything up to 16 megapixels, which is still very high resolution), you get unlimited storage.

The benefit of the stock Email app has always been that you can access your email from any email provider, including webmail and Exchange email. But you can do that now on the Gmail app as well (and I think Inbox). Since I only use Gmail (with my junkmail Yahoo account pushing mail directly to my Gmail account), I always Disable the stock Email app, since I have no use for it.

What do you mean by wanting to see your wife's phone? Do you mean that you want to see her location? And what kinds of things do you want to share? Photos? Documents?

GR0D

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Thank Diddy!

Stop organizing everything and making it so easy to read.

LOL. You'd never know by looking at the disaster area that is my desk.:eek:

Man! you guys are worth GOLD! :) lol. Thank you again for the quick replies. My main thing is to be able to see her location and vice versa. She is not good with directions so a few times a day I have to log in and see where she is and help her, she loves knowing where I am all the time too (if you know what I mean) LOLLLLL but in terms oh sharing other things I am open to the best choices... Thank you again!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You can turn on Location Sharing in Google+: https://support.google.com/plus/answer/2998354?hl=en

In terms of sharing photos and files, you can send the photos via MMS messaging (i.e., texting) or via Hangouts (which is Google's own instant messaging app). You can upload other files to your Google Drive, then share those file easily with your wife from Drive.

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Man! you guys are worth GOLD! :) lol. Thank you again for the quick replies. My main thing is to be able to see her location and vice versa. She is not good with directions so a few times a day I have to log in and see where she is and help her, she loves knowing where I am all the time too (if you know what I mean) LOLLLLL but in terms oh sharing other things I am open to the best choices... Thank you again!

I'll be more than happy to keep an eye on your location as well in case you get lost or something. Oh, leave the keys to the Ferrari on top of the driver's side rear tire as well. You know, in case you get locked out or something.

GR0D

Mar 8, 2016
Visit site
Last one. I promise, :) In the new Galaxy S7 the timeout screen only shows you time that you can pick, in the Iphone I had it Manually where as I would turn the display myself and not timed. Is there a possible trick to allowing that here?

KimJongOMG

Mar 4, 2016
Visit site
Unfortunately there isn't a way to have set it so the screen always stays on. There might be apps for this but I have no experience with any of them so I can't really chime in here.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexpall