Michial Brown

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
As a longtime iphone user I was ready to switch when a TMobile rep asked how concerned I was about security and encryption. He said he doesn't recommend using banking apps on android. That freaked me out and made me change my mind on getting the S7E. What am I missing? I hear these phones have antivirus. I used to be on Windows and occasionally got viruses. Since being on an macs for 7 years we haven't had one virus. Was the TMobile rep right? He is an exclusive android guy too. He just said he doesn't bank on his phones.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Clueless rep, ignore and move on. If you are normal user everything is safe, use passcodes to secure your screen, by default encryption is on and you can set to ask for password in order to decrypt when phone restarts. You are perfectly fine, so buy the phone with confidence.

bsteppuhn

Feb 29, 2016
Visit site
Also don't use public wifi it can happen with apple also. I just read an article about how a guy hacked a mac book during a flight. He hacked everyone's phones. Knew what they were doing since they shared public wifi

Posted via the Android Central App

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
What does that mean? Sorry, longtime iphone user. Lol. Side apps? Being careful?
That means going to security settings, checking the option to install apps outside of Google play app store. Think of it as some one sending you a file and asking you to click and install that app. You know what's going to happen next :)

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So keep antivirus on? Does it slow your system or hog ram like it does on a pc?
No antivirus required, if you are buying the T-Mobile version which looks like it anyway comes with lookout antivirus preloaded and running. It's not needed but if you are paranoid and want to keep it on you can.

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
As a longtime iphone user I was ready to switch when a TMobile rep asked how concerned I was about security and encryption. He said he doesn't recommend using banking apps on android. That freaked me out and made me change my mind on getting the S7E. What am I missing? I hear these phones have antivirus. I used to be on Windows and occasionally got viruses. Since being on an macs for 7 years we haven't had one virus. Was the TMobile rep right? He is an exclusive android guy too. He just said he doesn't bank on his phones.

Setup two step verification in your google account Google

anon(238680)

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Somebody said not to use public wifi? I use my works public wifi for years on my iphone. I shouldn't use it on Android?

Has nothing to do with Apple or Android, both are at risk. You either have to be extremely careful what you access and what you do, or use a VPN if you're using public. I would also guess your wifi at work is not a public system, but could be wrong there.

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site

If you have not set this up yet. I would recommend. If anyone got a hold of your password, without 2nd verification they will not be able to logon.

Capture.PNG

TMavC5

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Has nothing to do with Apple or Android, both are at risk. You either have to be extremely careful what you access and what you do, or use a VPN if you're using public. I would also guess your wifi at work is not a public system, but could be wrong there.

PJ is absolutely correct. Don't rely on other to protect you. Its what you do to protect yourself. Its good to be caution about anything these days. People tend to say things that they really don't understand or experienced them.

You can use public wifi but don't be an ***** and trying to do banking on public wifi. Just use common sense on that one.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Somebody said not to use public wifi? I use my works public wifi for years on my iphone. I shouldn't use it on Android?
It's the same as you use it on any platform, iOS or Android. They told not to use open public wifi because someone could theoretically have a network sniffer or something and trap the unencrypted network traffic. But that's not specific to Android he was just generalizing secure measures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress