S7 Edge seriously not impressive - defective display, overheats... better battery life is good...

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The Exynos SOC is a trade off. Temp isn't one of them. I have used the gear VR for a hour or so and my S7e is barely warms afterwords. The exynos may be a little faster in highly threaded tasks, but the individual cores are slower then the kryo cores in the SD 820. Most things on phones aren't that threaded though.

Posted via the Android Central App

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The Exynos SOC is a trade off. Temp isn't one of them. I have used the gear VR for a hour or so and my S7e is barely warms afterwords. The exynos may be a little faster in highly threaded tasks, but the individual cores are slower then the kryo cores in the SD 820. Most things on phones aren't that threaded though.

On single core tests yes, however on side by side testing of the Exynos and Snap, the Exynos reveals to be faster in real life performance.

https://youtu.be/233f0ewFWGk

Plus the audio quality is different. The Snapdragon has been reported to have been producing subpar audio quality via wited headsets, compared to the excellent quality on the Exynos ones due to the onboard Wolfson DAC on the SoC that the Snap820 lacks.

love4speechless

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
On single core tests yes, however on side by side testing of the Exynos and Snap, the Exynos reveals to be faster in real life performance.

https://youtu.be/233f0ewFWGk

Plus the audio quality is different. The Snapdragon has been reported to have been producing subpar audio quality via wited headsets, compared to the excellent quality on the Exynos ones due to the onboard Wolfson DAC on the SoC that the Snap820 lacks.

It makes you wonder why they didn't make all of them Exynos with how much better the Exynos seems to be in every department. Wouldn't they want as good a phone as possible?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
It makes you wonder why they didn't make all of them Exynos with how much better the Exynos seems to be in every department. Wouldn't they want as good a phone as possible?
Exynos doesn't have a CDMA capability. Only the US and China uses it anyway. So maybe they just thought, meh let's just use the Qualcomm chip.

Plus it's an optimization issue. Comparing times, they also have a video where the HTC 10 scored faster than the Snap820 S7 despite both having the same SoC. The 10 scores about 15secs slower than the Exynos S7, unlike the Snap820 S7 which was a full 40secs slower.

Interestingly, the Snap820 S7 scored 5 secs faster in its HTC10 video battle than it did against its brother.

Last edited:

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
The problem is these video battles as you put it have absolutely nothing to do with performance of the actual device. As much as standard benchmarks don't present a valid comparison for real world use they do show what the processor is able to achieve. The slowdown's they are showing in the video are likely related to configuration of the device.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The problem is these video battles as you put it have absolutely nothing to do with performance of the actual device. As much as standard benchmarks don't present a valid comparison for real world use they do show what the processor is able to achieve. The slowdown's they are showing in the video are likely related to configuration of the device.

In a similar way, benchmarks will be affected also by configuration. I get different scores for Antutu that what reviews post. And the reviewers on the video claim that they got the phones setup as identical as possible. As such this will be closer to real life if everything was stock. In fact the Snap820 here they claim had an advantage of less bloatware and it still lost.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Samsung chips are superior to Snapdragon in every way. I hope they begin to implement them across the board on their phones in the future.

jinzen

Jul 16, 2015
Visit site

The real world performance of the S7 Edge pales in comparison the HTC 10. Like dropped frames, system freezes, unresponsive navigation etc.

/I use both Verizon variants and the S7 Edge (Snapdragon) is the lag fest in daily usage.

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The real world performance of the S7 Edge pales in comparison the HTC 10. Like dropped frames, system freezes, unresponsive navigation etc.

/I use both Verizon variants and the S7 Edge (Snapdragon) is the lag fest in daily usage.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Michael MCATEE

Jun 5, 2016
Visit site

What lag festival?

I would say that if you are experiencing any lag on your devices you are doing something wrong...

Posted from my AT&T S7 Edge

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
What lag festival?

I would say that if you are experiencing any lag on your devices you are doing something wrong...

Posted from my AT&T S7 Edge

I agree with this. My T-Mobile Edge is a performance monster, and has been since day one.

It's funny, you go to the HTC thread and some folks there are saying the exact opposite lol

RichBrown68

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Do a search on YouTube for HTC 10 versus Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge Tech Trinkets. He has a comparison of various performance standards. The S7 Edge boots up faster, most apps start faster on the S7 Edge, although a couple start faster on the HTC. And during the first couple of minutes, you can literally see the battery percentage on the HTC going from 100 to 99 to 98, with the S7 Edge still at 100.