08-04-2016 11:51 AM
67 123
tools
    I know that I just posted this in another thread, but I feel that this may be helpful to the community at large to see what can safely be disabled on your new S7 Edge. I am basically going for the least amount of stuff possible (as close to nexus as I can), but still keeping things available that I find useful (like Samsung Pay). Here is a total list of everything I've disabled (on Verizon...not sure what other carrier's lists look like) - 112 items total:

EDIT 2: As referenced by a thread over on XDA, make sure prior to disabling a package, you delete all the data for the package and then disable immediately after - this can all be done in the Package disabler pro app. See this thread for reference - {GUIDE} Tips that helped me improve my S7 Ed… - Pg. 3 | Verizon Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge

EDIT 3: I have now attached my total list of disabled packages as a zipped XML file that imports directly into Package Disabler Pro - there are a total of 164 things I have disabled. I will mention to everyone that there are some random things like "Clock" that I have disabled since I downloaded the normal Google Clock from the Play Store, so just be aware that there may be a random thing or 2 that you use that I have ultimately disabled.

Enjoy!

Access Cloud
    AllShare FileShare Serivce
    Amazon
    Amazon Kindle
    Amazon Music
    ANT + DUT
    ANT HAL Service
    ANT Radio Service
    ANT+ Plugins Service
    Assistant Menu
    Basic Daydreams
    BBCAgent
    BeaconManager
    Bluetooth MIDI Service
    Briefing
    Briefing feed
    Calendar
    Caller Name ID
    Camera test
    CarmodeStub
    ChocoEUKor
    ClipboardSaveService
    CLipboardUIService
    Cloud
    Color adjustment
    com.android.providers.partnerbookmarks
    com.android.sharedstoragebackup
    com.android.wallpapercropper
    com.samsung.android.app.watchmanagerstub
    com.sec.android.app.chromecustomizations
    com.sec.android.app.minimode.res
    com.sec.android.app.wfdbroker
    Control TV
    CoolEUKor
    DeviceTest
    Dictionary
    Drive
    Email
    Foundation
    Galaxy Apps
    Galaxy Essentials Widget
    Gear VR Service
    Gear VR SetupWizardStub
    Gear VR Shell
    go90
    Hancom Office 2014
    Health Service
    Help
    Highlight Video Player
    IMS Settings
    Keis Application BnR
    KNOX
    KnoxAppsUpdateAgent
    Live wallpaper picker
    LLKAgent
    Magnifier
    MDMApp
    Memo
    Message+
    My InfoZone
    My interest
    My Places
    My Verizon MObile
    Nearby devices
    Nearby Service
    NFL Mobile
    Personal Data Management
    Photo Screensavers
    Photos
    Private Mode Service
    Quick Connect
    RoseEUKor
    S Finder
    S Health
    S Voice App
    Safety Information
    Samsung ApexService
    Samsung Content Agent
    Samsung Galaxy
    Samsung Gear
    Samsung Keyboard
    Samsung Location SDK
    SAmsung Milk Music
    Samsung MirrorLink 1.1
    Samsung Push Service
    Samsung text-to-speech engine
    SamsungDLPSerivce
    SapaMOnitor
    Screen MIrrioring
    SecurityLogAgent
    Settings Receiver
    Slacker Radio
    Smart Switch
    Smart Switch Agent
    Spanish Language Pack
    Support & Protection
    TalkBack
    TouchWiz easy home
    Verizon Location Agent
    Verizon Login
    Verizon Store Demo Mode
    Virtual Tour
    Voice Assistant
    Voice Service
    Voice wake-up
    VPN Client
    VpnDialogs
    VZ Navigator
    vzw_api
    VZW_Multicast_MW
    VZWAPN
    withTV

Feel free to let me know if there are more things I can add to this list that you've safely disabled without issues!

EDIT: Round 2:
    AASAserivce
    Clock (Installed standard Google Clock)
    CMHProvider
    com.samsung.dcmservice
    com.samsung.enhanceservice
    com.samsung.faceservice
    com.samsung.hs20provider
    com.samsung.InputEventApp
    com.samsung.ipservice
    com.Samsung.storyservice
    com.samsung.vzw.huxhtmlviewer
    Game Launcher
    Game Tools
    GamepadService
    GameService
    Safety assistance
    Simple sharing
    SLLibrary
    SmartCallProvider
    SmartcardManager
    SmartcardService
    SmartFaceService
    Attached Files
    03-16-2016 02:09 PM
    I really fail to see the point. The stuff is still there, most likely has very little affect on performance, and may screw up something else. If you want a Nexus, buy one, trying to make another phone into one is pointless.
    03-16-2016 02:46 PM
    Many people, myself included, like to disable unneeded stuff. Even if it has very little affect on performance.

I really fail to see the point. The stuff is still there, most likely has very little affect on performance, and may screw up something else. If you want a Nexus, buy one, trying to make another phone into one is pointless.
    03-16-2016 02:51 PM
    The whole point of posting this is to show what can safely be disabled WITHOUT screwing something up. Even if this gains me an extra 10 minutes of battery life, then I'll take it - I don't need any of these things listed here.

And I would buy a Nexus if they made one that met my needs, which they still have failed to do. So until that time comes, I will make my phone as close to stock as possible and it is certainly not pointless. I like what I like, and you like what you like.
    03-16-2016 02:54 PM
    Following up on my disabled bloat - first night I had the phone, I left it to drain fully charged to see what the overnight drain per hour was - I went from 100% to 80% in 8 hours - over a 2%/hr drain, which is not very good. Last night, got the opportunity to do it again with all of the bloat disabled. I went from 100% to 97% in 8 hours...MUCH improved standby power usage.

Those saying it does not matter - it DOES matter. If you don't need it, get rid of it.
    03-17-2016 08:50 AM
    Beauty of PD is that you can easily enable, disable or re-enable without harming anything. Plus, you can export and import the settings to an XML file so you don't have to do it all over again following a system update.
    KPMcClave and ryanadiputra like this.
    03-17-2016 12:30 PM
    I'm seeing something similar. I've done two things in the past two days, the at&t update and disabling a bunch of junk with package disabler pro and my standby performance has improved dramatically. Previously, I would not often see the flatline battery usage in GSAM indicating Doze, but since these two changes I see the flatline consistently when the phone is sitting idle for a period of time. Unfortunately I did the changes around the same time so I can't definitively determine which had the affect or if it's a combination, but this is a dramatic improvement.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    03-19-2016 08:33 AM
    Nice, the list of things enabled would have been shorter.
    KPMcClave and debdroid1a like this.
    03-19-2016 08:35 AM
    Just to be sure I get the right one, it's from policedeveloper?
    03-19-2016 09:05 AM
    correct
    metz65 likes this.
    03-19-2016 09:14 AM
    Thanks very much for taking the time to share the list, marlin.

~Kevin
    Posted via the Android Central App
    sangs likes this.
    03-19-2016 10:42 AM
    Does the ANT applications have anything to do with connecting to a smart watch? Also thanks man I disabled a ton of stuff I didn't already have done before cause I didn't know what was safe.
    03-19-2016 12:38 PM
    I need to buy this program.
    03-19-2016 01:09 PM
    Couple more things to add:

AASAserivce
    CMHProvider
    com.samsung.dcmservice
    com.samsung.faceservice
    com.samsung.hs20provider
    com.samsung.ipservice
    com.Samsung.storyservice
    Game Launcher
    Game Tools
    GamepadService
    GameService
    Safety assistance
    Simple sharing
    SLLibrary
    SmartCallProvider
    SmartcardManager
    SmartcardService
    SmartFaceService

Will update 1st post with these as well.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    03-22-2016 08:33 AM
    Couple more things to add:

AASAserivce
    CMHProvider
    com.samsung.dcmservice
    com.samsung.faceservice
    com.samsung.hs20provider
    com.samsung.ipservice
    com.Samsung.storyservice
    Game Launcher
    Game Tools
    GamepadService
    GameService
    Safety assistance
    Simple sharing
    SLLibrary
    SmartCallProvider
    SmartcardManager
    SmartcardService
    SmartFaceService

Will update 1st post with these as well.
    Game Launcher can save a ton of battery. Unless you never play games.
    MoshuXXL likes this.
    03-22-2016 01:12 PM
    Game Launcher can save a ton of battery. Unless you never play games.
    Understandable, but for the purposes of this thread, I'm just trying to show what is safe. I do a little Clash of Clans here and there but don't do any real major gaming, so I doubt I would recognize any significant power savings personally.
    awriternot likes this.
    03-22-2016 02:46 PM
    I really appreciate you took the time to make this list and share it with others Marlin. Thank you very much. Just got my S7 on T-Mobile and this was the first thing I started searching for on the forums. I'm coming from a 5X, though still using it from time to time, so I was a bit worried about my experience since I'm a first time Samsung Galaxy owner. Gotta say Package Disabler Pro does it's job wonderfully, great recommendation.

Again thank you for taking the time to make this list.
    KPMcClave likes this.
    03-24-2016 02:22 PM
    I do disable full blown apps that show up in the app drawer if I know I'm not going to use them, but I don't go disabling every service and apk known to man unless A) it's running in the background even though I don't use it or B) it's causing a specific problem like it's force closing or something. OP disabled even the different fonts that come with the phone for example, which I don't understand because they don't run in the background and they don't show up in your app drawer or anything (just in the font selection menu). So what's the point?

Here's what I disabled on my AT&T S7 Edge for comparison. Most of these were disabled right from the app drawer, and only one (com.samsung.faceservice) requires Package Disabler Pro to disable. I disabled that one because I kept getting a message that it force closed when I opened the gallery app.

AT&T apps
    AT&T Hot Spots
    AT&T Locker
    AT&T Protect Plus
    Caller Name ID (AT&T)
    Device Help (AT&T)
    DriveMode (AT&T)
    myAT&T
    Smart Limits (AT&T)

Other
    Amazon
    Amazon Installation Status
    Amazon Kindle
    Android Pay (doesn't work with changed screen density)
    Briefing
    com.facebook.appmanager
    com.facebook.system
    com.samsung.faceservice
    DIRECTV
    DIRECTV Quick Remote
    Facebook
    Galaxy Essentials Widget
    Hancom Office 2014
    Hangouts
    Lookout
    Memo
    Plenti
    S Health
    S Voice
    Samsung Gear
    Samsung Milk Music
    Uber
    Voice Service
    Voice Wake-up
    bpe4 and RebusCannebus like this.
    03-24-2016 04:11 PM
    I do disable full blown apps that show up in the app drawer if I know I'm not going to use them, but I don't go disabling every service and apk known to man unless A) it's running in the background even though I don't use it or B) it's causing a specific problem like it's force closing or something. OP disabled even the different fonts that come with the phone for example, which I don't understand because they don't run in the background and they don't show up in your app drawer or anything (just in the font selection menu). So what's the point?

Here's what I disabled on my AT&T S7 Edge for comparison. Most of these were disabled right from the app drawer, and only one (com.samsung.faceservice) requires Package Disabler Pro to disable. I disabled that one because I kept getting a message that it force closed when I opened the gallery app.

AT&T apps
    AT&T Hot Spots
    AT&T Locker
    AT&T Protect Plus
    Caller Name ID (AT&T)
    Device Help (AT&T)
    DriveMode (AT&T)
    myAT&T
    Smart Limits (AT&T)

Other
    Amazon
    Amazon Installation Status
    Amazon Kindle
    Android Pay (doesn't work with changed screen density)
    Briefing
    com.facebook.appmanager
    com.facebook.system
    com.samsung.faceservice
    DIRECTV
    DIRECTV Quick Remote
    Facebook
    Galaxy Essentials Widget
    Hancom Office 2014
    Hangouts
    Lookout
    Memo
    Plenti
    S Health
    S Voice
    Samsung Gear
    Samsung Milk Music
    Uber
    Voice Service
    Voice Wake-up
    I take the attitude that if I don't need/want it, and it is apparently safe to disable, I disable.

Android is hardly transparent in the way it handles its chores. When I got my G4 back in June, it took me a week or so to pinpoint exactly which app of mine had gone rogue, because the battery stats for that app didn't indicate a problem. The wild Keep Awake times showed in the Android OS' battery stat line (it was a third party app).

So, I err on the side of aggressive, because I don't ever know everything going on under the hood. I agree that extra fonts are likely causing no performance issues, but if I don't need them, off with their heads! At least they aren't "in the way" (an admittedly minor thing) if I ever do change the font later on.

Looking at your list, I'm guessing there are things you didn't have to disable for performance reasons either. So, live and let live.

~Kevin
    Baby_Doc likes this.
    03-25-2016 07:05 AM
    Is there any benefit at all with modern Android, deactivating apps, and the way it handles storage? Does it treat an active and a deactivated app exactly the same in terms of how it (would potebtially) access each? I'm sort of thinking here of the way Windows can Defrag mentioned and "prioritize" stored apps and data.

Are all stored apps exactly the same on Android (not asking about running on background, etc...just speedier access, etc.).

~Kevin
    03-25-2016 07:13 AM
    To each his own...... but

I think that flippantly disabling so many services that you HAVE NO IDEA their purpose other than the fact that it didn't crash your system is extremely dangerous. With the amount of security issues these days, some of those services could be important in keeping your phone secure. Samsung/Google care about battery life. They know it's a key comparison between android handsets and Apple. Surely their developers are mindful of what is necessary and what is not when balancing battery life.

You can fully disregard them at your own risk. Your phone is a fully connected internet device. A month down the road when your identity has been stolen, and your savings drained... feel free to add your phone to the possible reasons as to how it happened.
    brad419 and Doc Marten like this.
    03-25-2016 07:29 AM
    I wish someone could write up a description next to each item disabled. I mean some are self explanatory but some like "SLLibrary" and "CMHProvider" is a crapshoot. Who knows what you are turning off? That would be great and very informative, thanks!
    Thiscrapsucks35 and MoshuXXL like this.
    03-25-2016 03:35 PM
    Thanks. Can you export and share the xml with us.
    03-26-2016 03:21 AM
    To each his own...... but

I think that flippantly disabling so many services that you HAVE NO IDEA their purpose other than the fact that it didn't crash your system is extremely dangerous. With the amount of security issues these days, some of those services could be important in keeping your phone secure. Samsung/Google care about battery life. They know it's a key comparison between android handsets and Apple. Surely their developers are mindful of what is necessary and what is not when balancing battery life.

You can fully disregard them at your own risk. Your phone is a fully connected internet device. A month down the road when your identity has been stolen, and your savings drained... feel free to add your phone to the possible reasons as to how it happened.
    The thing is I am not disabling any core Android services by doing this. If you look at the list, everything either has a Samsung or VZW moniker to it when reading about the actual disabled package - nothing is core Android, and core android is responsible for your phone's security. OEM's add their own stuff they think is useful, but at the end of the day, as long as core android is untouched, you're fine.
    KPMcClave and snake2332 like this.
    03-28-2016 03:44 PM
    I disable similar packages as OP and have an issue with Gallery app that it shows no item arrange by Time but if I select other options like folder and criteria it displays the images properly. I may disabled a package that handle the timing of Samsung apps but have no idea which one.
    04-03-2016 04:25 AM
67 123