Paint on home button is peeling. Anyone else have this issue?

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone,

Well...the paint from my s7 edge is f****** peeling.
Reason: I bought a ZAAG screen protector today and for some reason the ZAAG engineers decided to put adhesive on the spot where the home button is and when you install the screen protector you have to stick it on the bottom of the phone first for guidance, all good till the last step when I`ve removed the top protective film of the screen protector, and guess what, the f****** thing peeled a chunk of paint from the home button while I`ve removed it.......

I love Samsung products but for the amount of money they charge for a unit like this they can at least use some f****** good quality stuff, and why the heck is paint on the home button, it should be glass or something better than PAINT.

Should I blame the poor quality of the home button or should I blame the ZAAG screen protector.......?

EXPLAINED.jpg

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Well here is mine...have had galaxy phones for 4+ years now and never ever had any issue with the home buttons. Now I pay $700 for the best phone on the market and my home button looks like crap! Never dropped my phone and never put it inside anywhere with keys or anything that would harm it.

I emailed Samsung so let's see what happens

d1067f6657e5977bd488ce2e958502f8.jpg

Est_XCIV

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
I went to the gym and put the Samsung headphones in the same pocket as my phone and found a scratch line on the home button

Gold S7 Edge.

Jester23

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Well here is mine...have had galaxy phones for 4+ years now and never ever had any issue with the home buttons. Now I pay $700 for the best phone on the market and my home button looks like crap! Never dropped my phone and never put it inside anywhere with keys or anything that would harm it.

I emailed Samsung so let's see what happens

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160816/d1067f6657e5977bd488ce2e958502f8.jpg

Exact same thing just happened to mine. Samsung said I would have to send it away for them to analyze it and if it was physical damage and not an issue with manufacturer defect that they would quote me a repair price and if I refused it they would charge me $30 for the analysis. I would also be without a phone.. They also couldn't provide me with a timeline for the repair. I'm thinking of just keeping it because of course they will blame me for it...but that damn black scrape on my Titanium Silver phone... Grrrrr!

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Exact same thing just happened to mine. Samsung said I would have to send it away for them to analyze it and if it was physical damage and not an issue with manufacturer defect that they would quote me a repair price and if I refused it they would charge me $30 for the analysis. I would also be without a phone.. They also couldn't provide me with a timeline for the repair. I'm thinking of just keeping it because of course they will blame me for it...but that damn black scrape on my Titanium Silver phone... Grrrrr!
AT&T told me I could go through them and they send my phone out to Samsung and give me a loaner. I might go that route.

By the looks of mine it is physical damage, that I was totally unaware of. I never dropped my phone. My thing that I think we can complain about is that we can protect our phone with a case, we can protect our screen with a protector... BUT how do u protect a raised home button? I've had the s3, s4, s5, s6 and not the s7e and I've never had my home button chip or scrap. You can't put a protector on the home button bc then u can't use the fingerprint scanner. It's not fair because I take extremely good care of my phone

monsieurm

Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I had this problem too. Went to Experience store where I bought the s7 Edge, only to be told exactly what you said. If there was damage that was not a defect, they said they would charge me. Now, I was a bit miffed about this because this forum clearly proves that there is a problem that is widespread. I informed them of this and showed how a quick google search proves that this is not user damage. I can't believe that they treat us with such distrust despite a well documented problem. I was not guaranteed of repair under warranty at the Experience store, so I called and was not guaranteed either. I sent it to them for repair anyway in hopes of not being charged. Time will tell if they acknowledge the defect or if I have to pay for the repair. Overall I have a sour taste after this experience when I think about another certain phone company and their excellent policy for repairs without question. I hope that it gets fixed and I am wrong, but at this point I feel annoyed and disappointed.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I had this problem too. Went to Experience store where I bought the s7 Edge, only to be told exactly what you said. If there was damage that was not a defect, they said they would charge me. Now, I was a bit miffed about this because this forum clearly proves that there is a problem that is widespread. I informed them of this and showed how a quick google search proves that this is not user damage. I can't believe that they treat us with such distrust despite a well documented problem. I was not guaranteed of repair under warranty at the Experience store, so I called and was not guaranteed either. I sent it to them for repair anyway in hopes of not being charged. Time will tell if they acknowledge the defect or if I have to pay for the repair. Overall I have a sour taste after this experience when I think about another certain phone company and their excellent policy for repairs without question. I hope that it gets fixed and I am wrong, but at this point I feel annoyed and disappointed.
Wow, how long has it been in their hands for? I was going to go to the experience store but it's an hour away and I had a feeling that it would be a big waste of my time, so that's good to know I didn't go!

Do you happen to have a pic of yours? Please keep me posted on the outcome as I'm curious if it's worth me sending mine in! Fingers crossed for you!

Snowball34

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I was googling about this problem also and I happen to find this thread. Here's a picture of my galaxy s7 with some paint chipping on the home button. I was using alcohol pads to clean off the residue in order to install my new screen protector and it just happened like that.

chip.jpg

blessedred

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
On my S7e I'm having no such issue. I heard this was a problem for Samsung phones but even my parents S5's home buttons haven't peeled. Bad units maybe?

Posted via my Black S7 Edge

Jester23

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
AT&T told me I could go through them and they send my phone out to Samsung and give me a loaner. I might go that route.

By the looks of mine it is physical damage, that I was totally unaware of. I never dropped my phone. My thing that I think we can complain about is that we can protect our phone with a case, we can protect our screen with a protector... BUT how do u protect a raised home button? I've had the s3, s4, s5, s6 and not the s7e and I've never had my home button chip or scrap. You can't put a protector on the home button bc then u can't use the fingerprint scanner. It's not fair because I take extremely good care of my phone

Yup, I take super care of mine too. I thought it was a black speck of dust so tried to scratch it off and made it worse... I wonder if the paint does anything? Might look ok with a black home button if all the paint was scratched off.... I won't do that until after the warranty.. Maybe something will come up or I'll try and send it away anyway closer to the warranty expiration and if they say I need to pay then at least it will be like a new phone then and I can sell it when I get it back as I don't keep any phone over a year anyway... I wonder what Samsung Canada charges for a replacement home button/home screen assembly repair???

I just noticed this was in the Edge Forum, not the S7 Forum.. So, Same issue with the S7 it seems!

muhamor21

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I had this peeling issue too on my black S7. I peeled off the rest of the paint with a plastic spudger.
Below the paint there's a black glass. Looks like a small screen. It looks fine on a black phone.
BTW the fingerprint reader works better now.

Attachments

• DSC08064.JPG
    DSC08064.JPG
    234.7 KB · Views: 71
Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
hello, I did the same as you, and at first I had no problems , but the restart not let me set the mark , tells me that the home button is ta sucio.a you will spend the same ? and if so as solucionaste , I thought of putting a coat of paint but not ....

Lwalsh21

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Hi everyone. I registered just because of this problem. I switched from Apple to Android last year after buying what was essentially the same phone over and over. I first got the S6 Edge and loved it, but I had battery issues so I upgraded to the S7 Edge and sold my 6 to my best friend. My "peeling" started around week 5 or 6 around the bottom edge of the button. Around week 7 it started peeling off the middle of the button. After going round and round with Verizon and Samsung, they told me they would cover it under warranty. I had to restore the phone, take my screen protector off, etc and ship it to them. In the mean time I spent $150 on another phone because I can't go 2 weeks without a cell phone. After a week Samsung sent me an estimate for $270 for repairs. They claimed, as with everyone else, that it's my fault, despite all of the articles you can find online about it. I called and made a huge fuss and they offered to lower the cost of repair to $150. I told them to shove it, and that if this is what happens to their phones from "normal wear and tear", they shouldn't be charging $800 for the damn phone. They sent it back to me, unfixed, and I'm so pissed it's still sitting in the box and I'm using the LG G4 I bought.

I contacted a law firm about a class action lawsuit. This is ridiculous.

Snowball34

Aug 21, 2016
Visit site
I was googling about this problem also and I happen to find this thread. Here's a picture of my galaxy s7 with some paint chipping on the home button. I was using alcohol pads to clean off the residue in order to install my new screen protector and it just happened like that.

View attachment 236391

Just wanted to follow up with my repair status. So absurd.

Attachments

• 25232.png
    25232.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 129

Jester23

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah... I'm not willing to pay to have a paint chip repaired...I guess I'll learn to live with it for another few months. Maybe the new Nexus will tempt me to just sell it.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah... I'm not willing to pay to have a paint chip repaired...I guess I'll learn to live with it for another few months. Maybe the new Nexus will tempt me to just sell it.
Looks like it's a big waste of time sending it into Samsung... So ridiculous his you pay $792 and your home button can't even cosmetically last more than 4 months, I may buy the oneplus 3

sjb2000

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
I contacted a law firm about a class action lawsuit. This is ridiculous.

I Just joined the forum because I am having the same problem. It's ridiculous. How can an upgrade have poorer quality than the model(s) it replaces. I can understand if this was a one off case with a few people complaining but this is an almost 150 post issue with multiple parties have identical issues. I have a Samsung S6 Edge+ in gold. And its only been less than three months and its has the dreaded chipping peeling at the bottom. I tried covering it up with Sharpie Gold markers, it did a great job of masking the chipping slightly. But you look at it long enough you can tell it was a cover up job. Luckily mine was at the edge so it fills in. And today out of the blue, I find a small scratch on the middle pad. I use it very rarely, as I am at a computer most of the time, and its babied like no other phone I had. Kept in its own pocket.

It truly is a shame that something as heavily used as the home button wasnt given better weathering testing. And I understand no one can anticipate everything, but it being an issue, Samsung should be honorable and fix it free of charge. One could argue they purposely made the home button of poor quality and affixed in such a position that the whole display needed to be removed with a heat gun, to purposely over charge customers.

That is why I quoted @Lwalsh21 's class action suit comment. This has the hallmarks of forcing a company stand by its product and offer free repairs! How have you come along.

But if anyone is interested in a interim - OK- fix try the Sharpie Metallic Gold pen marker. It may help those with chipping in the corners.

Anyone send their phones to Samsung for this Issue other than the two people who had a bill returned to them? What was the result? I am debating whether to get it repaired or take a refurbished replacement from my carrier.