Samsung Pay: Useful Tool or Cool Novelty?

Bekkenes

Sep 4, 2015
Visit site
You are implying that it only works at a few places. When in reality it work anywhere you can swipe a card. Go back and see my post on the top of page 3. This isn't apple pay, NFC or Android pay. I have used it a dozen times this weekend all over the place, from the mom and pop beer shop to dunkin donuts, to the gas station, even at a local farm for a Easter bunny breakfast for the kids. Not one of these places accepts apple pay/nfc/android pay.

Still doesnt matter.
Its deactivated outside Amurrica.

StuffOfInterest

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused with your answer as well. NFC payments are the same weather you call it android, Apple or Samsung pay.

I have used android pay extensively as well before Samsung pay was available and the details on the charge you made using either systems are the same. Both of them say it's from Android or Samsung pay then tells you the merchant where it came from.

Maybe I didn't understand quite clearly why you prefer android over Samsung pay...

Looks like I had some confusion on NFC in Android Pay vs Samsung Pay. From what I'm finding anywhere that says it accepts Android Pay should work with Samsung Pay over NFC but my experience so far has not been quite that way.

Here is where I have one big problem with Samsung Pay. I'm not sure if NFC is even active when I put the app in payment mode (it starts vibrating). I know that MST is working at that point but is the NFC part also active? I made one quick try to pay with NFC using Samsung Pay at a place where I had previously used Android Pay (Trader Joes) and it didn't take. Tried the MST mode then and it came back with an error on the terminal. Then tried to swipe my card and got the same error message. Turns out that since I had a chipped card the terminal required me to insert the card. It looks like through MST the card reported as a chip card and the terminal refused it.

To put the earlier question to rest, there are two things I prefer in Android Pay over Samsung Pay. First, I don't have to launch the Android Pay app to use it. If the phone is unlocked it is ready to touch to the terminal and pay. Second, Android Pay does better tracking of payments made than Samsung Pay. In Android Pay you get the vendor's logo, address, phone, website information, and even a map while Samsung Pay just gives a simple list with the vendor name and the amount.

RockyMin

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
Well, I just tried to use Samsung Pay at a gas station store and it seemed to read it fine but got a card declined message. I then swiped the card I had registered and it worked fine. Has this happened to anyone else?

tstolz

Aug 10, 2015
Visit site
Well, I just tried to use Samsung Pay at a gas station store and it seemed to read it fine but got a card declined message. I then swiped the card I had registered and it worked fine. Has this happened to anyone else?

Happened to me yesterday at a coffee shop. The error message gave some strange reason about the characters used or something, after the transaction appeared to go through initially.

TheNexusMan

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
As someone who actually uses it, it is absolutely useful, absolutely NOT novelty and absolutely easy and not as hard and involved as you make it sound. I've used it basically every day since the Gs7's release, and unlike every other mobile payment solution I've ever used, it has actually worked EVERY SINGLE TIME with no problems. Usually, when in line, I have my phone out already, so there is no extra step of "taking out my phone," the extra steps would actually be to take out my wallet and pull out my credit card of choice. You don't have to find the app, open the app, or even turn your phone on. You just swipe up from the bottom and touch your finger to the home button while placing your phone to the magnetic strip reader or the nfc pad. If the retailer has a newer nfc terminal there's no "awkward" reaching as those are right there in front of you. If there is no nfc reader, in most of my cases, the mag strip reader has been easily in reach. If a business does not have it easily in reach, then just don't use it there. Likewise, if it's a place where you have to tell the cashier the type of card or press any additional buttons, you also have the option of not using it there if you so chose. No big deal. I absolutely LOVE Samsung Pay, for it's ease of use, security, and reliability...and the fact that it's everything I wanted Google Wallet and Android Pay to be...but never was. And not only do I love it, but everytime I use it, the cashiers are equally impressed and excited about it, my phone, and my case...just like in the Samsung commercials. Finally, for example, I can go the gym and leave my wallet at home, and have peace of mind that should I need to buy something on the way home, I can truly be prepared because I can still pay for things at places where NFC readers are not installed.

TheNexusMan

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Quote Originally Posted by StuffOfInterest View Post

"Just because some registers are NFC enabled doesn't mean they take both Android Pay and Samsung Pay. I've run into at least one case where I couldn't use MST because the card reader required chip use (if present). That same register did work with Android Pay via NFC. Also, Android Pay does better charge tracking at this point. It provides much more information about where the payment was made.

I did find a way to make both pay systems play nice together. In the NFC settings I made Android Pay the default payment system but told it to use other systems if their app is open. As you had to open the Samsung Pay app anyway to use it this works fine. If I don't open any app and touch the phone to the NFC reader then Android Pay is used. If I open up the Samsung Pay (via the bottom swipe) and give it my fingerprint then I'm ready to go with Samsung Pay and MST."

This is incorrect. Samsung Pay works with NFC too. When I've gone to a register that requires a chip for the card, I just held the phone over the nfc portion instead, and it worked perfectly.

TheNexusMan

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused. Why would Samsung Pay default to MST if NFC is enabled at the register? My understanding is it utilizes NFC if its there and then defaults to MST if not. And any NFC register should work with Android Pay, Samsung Pay, and Apple Pay. They don't distinguish between the apps. If NFC is enabled it should work with Samsung Pay no matter what...I'm a bit confused here what the issue was/is?

You're absolutely correct. I've had ZERO problems using Samsung Pay at either mag stripp readers or nfc readers.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I can't imagine NOT using it. I use it everywhere daily. Much more secure than swiping and super convenient and quick. The best part about using it is when the merchant doesn't think it will work and you surprise them
If the card number created by phone is linked to actual card for returns then why isn't that virtual number just as easily used for fraud as the card number? What about hackers? Can they intercept signal?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I used it today at Walmart within the self-checkout lane. It was super easy to do :cool:. I see myself using this a lot more versus breaking out my wallet.

mcdonsco

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
It's been super convenient for me, I like it. When I'm in a check out line at a store my phone is pretty much always in my hand already anyway, so no need to go for wallet.

As for holding it up to the reader, it could be faster, does take a couple seconds to register, but we're talking like 2, seriously, not bad.

RockyMin

Feb 25, 2016
Visit site
Happened to me yesterday at a coffee shop. The error message gave some strange reason about the characters used or something, after the transaction appeared to go through initially.

Did it work the next time you tried it? Think I'll give it another try at lunch. It works at McDonald's right?

Knowledge10111

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
If the card number created by phone is linked to actual card for returns then why isn't that virtual number just as easily used for fraud as the card number? What about hackers? Can they intercept signal?

No because the number is linked internally with the credit card bank. When you make a return on a different number the return is routed to the bank and if the bank confirms the account # is linked to the same account you will be able to make the return. The thing is with this virtual number it can ONLY be used to PURCHASE with the phone and your fingerprint. So it won't work any other way and even if someone was able to hack a phone and "copy" the encrypted data it would not work as the bank has only authorized your phone's IMEI to work with the card.

moysauce

May 18, 2010
Visit site
These companies got it all wrong. They need to figure out a way to use there phone EVERYWHERE to pay. These devices CANNOT be used at gas stations or ATMs. How are these things supposed to replace our Credit cards?

The samsung pay technology is great but i still had a few stores (Starbucks at Target for example) that didn't know how to handle the payment.

Knowledge10111

Mar 10, 2016
Visit site
These companies got it all wrong. They need to figure out a way to use there phone EVERYWHERE to pay. These devices CANNOT be used at gas stations or ATMs. How are these things supposed to replace our Credit cards?

The samsung pay technology is great but i still had a few stores (Starbucks at Target for example) that didn't know how to handle the payment.

If you can do better why don't you invent something? If behemoths like Apple and Samsung haven't found a solution yet that is telling that there is no real solution to be found at the moment...MST + NFC is the next best thing...The problem is not the technology. The problem is the retailers lack of willing to SWITCH OVER to the technology.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I think it's time to post a link on a How does it works article... This is just 1 of many articles explaining how it works and how secure it is.

Here it's an extract of it:

"Samsung Pay: How secure is it?
In terms of security, Samsung told Pocket-lint that not only are details protected by Samsung's Knox real-time hacking surveillance and rooting prevention, but no card details are stored on either a Samsung server or the device itself.
Just like Apple Pay, Samsung Pay uses tokenisation. Card payments are made secure by creating a number or token that replaces your card details. This token is stored within a secure element chip on your device, and when a payment is initiated, the token is passed to the retailer or merchant. The retailer therefore never has direct access to your card details.
In addition Samsung Pay offers ARM TrustZone to further protect transaction information from attacks."

Read the full article below:
Samsung Pay: What is it, how does it work, when is it coming to the UK? - Pocket-lint

Cowamj04

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
For the record, you can use Samsung Pay at a gas pump. While holding up your phone, slide your drivers license in and out to activate, then Samsung Pay will register as the credit card. This also works anywhere else these types of readers. Our lunchroom at work has this type of card reader, and this method worked fine.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I would like the store to have to see a picture of card holder at time of purchase. I understand some credit cards have them now. In the mean time I will use my chip card as intended simply because it saves me the trouble of pulling out a phone and fumbling with a fingerprint. The card is smaller and lighter to pull out than my big phone. Everyone is different. I don't want my phone surgically implanted to my hand.