04-03-2016 06:49 PM
252 ... 678910 ...
tools
    These companies got it all wrong. They need to figure out a way to use there phone EVERYWHERE to pay. These devices CANNOT be used at gas stations or ATMs. How are these things supposed to replace our Credit cards?

The samsung pay technology is great but i still had a few stores (Starbucks at Target for example) that didn't know how to handle the payment.
    As stated you can use them at some gas stations, and when it's an employee being dumb and not knowing how to hit the "credit" button on their machine, that is not on Samsung pay.

I use mine on my note 5 all the time, super nice to have and safer. Leave the wallet in the car.
    03-23-2016 08:17 AM
    Used it again this morning at Walmart. It was nice since I was sending a text.. Finished that then paid with the phone that was already in hand .
    03-23-2016 09:43 AM
    Everything's been covered in the 178 replies prior to mine, but I thought I'd reiterate some of the most important points.

I've only had my S7 for a day now, but my previous phone was an iPhone 6 and I used Apple Pay wherever and whenever possible. For starters, it is easier than pulling out your card. At a grocery store, you most likely already have your phone out since you were browsing Facebook while waiting in line. Beyond convenience, security is the most important thing. Your card number isn't actually being transmitted, only a one time use token.

I really like the ability to be able to use it at non-NFC enabled terminals. Sure, you can't use it everywhere, some places you need to hand your card to someone, but no one said that you could use it everywhere. But you can use it in far more places than Apple Pay, and that's really cool.

In short, it's not a gimmick. If you are at all concerned about your credit card information being stolen then it should be a no brainer.
    03-23-2016 10:33 AM
    Samsung Pay doesn't work at Starbucks because Starbucks won't allow it. They want you to use their payment system. Within their rights but really lame!
    Why would you want to use it at Starbucks? You can only earn stars if you use your Starbucks card, if you use any other payment method you're giving up free coffee! Use the app to pay.
    03-23-2016 10:36 AM
    I have no cards that work with Samsung Pay yet so it's not like I can actually use it now anyways.
    Have you checked recently? My bank wasn't supported but now it is so that is how I have been using it.
    03-23-2016 11:57 AM
    Have you checked recently? My bank wasn't supported but now it is so that is how I have been using it.
    I just tried both cards and they are still not accepted.
    03-23-2016 12:02 PM
    I just tried both cards and they are still not accepted.
    Bah .
    03-23-2016 12:03 PM
    Bah .
    I'm sure Capital One will add support soon. I've been able to use my card with Apple Pay for over a year now.
    03-23-2016 12:05 PM
    I found this on Facebook where someone asked Capital One about Samsung Pay support:

Samsung Pay: Useful Tool or Cool Novelty?-screen-shot-2016-03-23-11.08.21-am.png
    03-23-2016 12:09 PM
    security is the most important thing. Your card number isn't actually being transmitted, only a one time use token.
    That's what they said about chipped cards. Well, it's true - kinda-sorta. As far as I'm concerned, it's just another way to help identity theft.
    03-23-2016 01:13 PM
    That's what they said about chipped cards. Well, it's true - kinda-sorta. As far as I'm concerned, it's just another way to help identity theft.
    How so? It uses a token card versus your actual card so if someone swiped it -- it would take that card versus your real, right?
    03-23-2016 01:18 PM
    Wish I could tell ya... I got Android Pay to work on my Nexus 5, but when I tried to set it up on my S7, suddenly my bank isn't supported (Same with Samsung Pay). I used Apple Pay at a BJs Wholesale Club for a $100+ purchase, and I will admit, it was quicker than the card (~4 seconds from initial scan to receipt). I wish I could comment on Android Pay, or Samsung Pay, because I like the idea of not carrying a wallet, and would happily use them if not just to provide feedback.
    03-23-2016 01:24 PM
    I carry numerous cards on me at all times because I get cash back from each category differently. It's so much easier to just have all my cards on my phone. I usually carry my phone in my hand at all times anyways so it is just so much quicker. Swiping up from the screen off with my thumb on the home key I can authenticate and pay in under a second. It's also faster at processing the payment vs the new chip and signature which in my experience takes 10+ seconds.

At first I thought Samsung Pay would not replace my wallet but now I use it more and more to the point where I only carry my wallet in case it doesn't work or my phone dies. Lets be honest, eventually electronic payments will make plastic obsolete (or a not-cool hassle such as someone writing a check or paying cash). It will take time but I will gladly take the convenience now and be an early adopter.

As others have said some states are already trialing digital drivers' license. I imagine in 20 years we will all have digital licenses + passports so this is the direction the world is moving.
    Exactly. It's not a mega revolutionary change. It's an evolutionary step toward the days when everything will be processed without the need for carrying around extra cards and cash.

The one group I can see being "inconvenienced" by this are welfare recipients. I can see those fraudulently trying to sell their benefits being outed more easily this way.
    03-23-2016 01:25 PM
    I found this on Facebook where someone asked Capital One about Samsung Pay support:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-03-23 at 11.08.21 AM.png 
Views:	19 
Size:	133.3 KB 
ID:	221717
    capital one is annoying like that. they've supported apple pay since the beginning, but still don't support android pay or samsung pay.
    03-23-2016 02:23 PM
    capital one is annoying like that. they've supported apple pay since the beginning, but still don't support android pay or samsung pay.
    I like using this card. I just don't want to apply for another banks card just to have a card that will work with Samsung Pay.
    Almeuit likes this.
    03-23-2016 02:31 PM
    capital one is annoying like that. they've supported apple pay since the beginning, but still don't support android pay or Samsung pay.
    (Note: I merged some of our stuff NexusGirl / Adiliyo due to me taking the post off-topic on the other thread).

I had to go away from Capital One due to high interest rates. I randomly looked one day and was stunned on what they were doing to me. I called and they offered me a promo of "16% for a few months". Needless to say I left and went to my bank (VyStar) and got a MUCH lower permanent rate since I don't have bad credit.

To be honest I am shocked VyStar got on board with Samsung Pay as fast as they did. They're a credit union for my area mainly.
    NexusGirlX likes this.
    03-23-2016 02:35 PM
    Love samsung pay. Never met a location where it hasn't worked....yes there are times where it doesn't take the first time but it has never failed. I like the tokenization concept that protects me more too.
    03-23-2016 03:03 PM
    Wonder how long it will take for someone to hack into this via a rogue app or whatever.
    03-23-2016 03:51 PM
    Twice as much?
    03-23-2016 05:10 PM
    (Note: I merged some of our stuff NexusGirl / Adiliyo due to me taking the post off-topic on the other thread).

I had to go away from Capital One due to high interest rates. I randomly looked one day and was stunned on what they were doing to me. I called and they offered me a promo of "16% for a few months". Needless to say I left and went to my bank (VyStar) and got a MUCH lower permanent rate since I don't have bad credit.

To be honest I am shocked VyStar got on board with Samsung Pay as fast as they did. They're a credit union for my area mainly.
    i agree, their rates aren't the best. mainly i use their card for the cashback by paying all my other bills with it and then paying it off every month.

it just annoys me that i can only use their cards with my iphone and none of my android devices because they feel like their stupid wallet app has some purpose.
    Almeuit and NexusGirlX like this.
    03-23-2016 05:13 PM
    If you go to a restaurant, you most likely will need to have your CC with you. Waiter/waitress comes to your table with the tab, you have to give them your CC to pay. None of them are carrying portable devices so you can use your phone to pay.
    Rule #1 never give the waiter/waitress your credit card.In other words, never let the card leave your sight.
    03-23-2016 05:34 PM
    I would like the store to have to see a picture of card holder at time of purchase. I understand some credit cards have them now. In the mean time I will use my chip card as intended simply because it saves me the trouble of pulling out a phone and fumbling with a fingerprint. The card is smaller and lighter to pull out than my big phone. Everyone is different. I don't want my phone surgically implanted to my hand.
    It uses your fingerprint. Seeing a picture is irrelevant.
    03-23-2016 05:38 PM
    Rule #1 never give the waiter/waitress your credit card.In other words, never let the card leave your sight.
    So do you just use cash then?
    03-23-2016 05:40 PM
    I am not that worried about this. I only give them my Credit Card -- not my Debit. I always use a Credit Card. It is way easier to deal with fraud when it comes to that.
    03-23-2016 05:46 PM
    Good luck with that, unless you want to follow them all the way to behind the register, which they don't allow you to do. I'm sure not going to follow a waitress like a puppy dog. I never worry. Bank always reverses the charges. It's painless.
    wlonsdale likes this.
    03-23-2016 06:08 PM
252 ... 678910 ...