Samsung S7 Edge Brightness issues

Heatios

Mar 25, 2016
Visit site
Hi guys,

I recently upgraded my S6 edge+ to a s7 edge.

On both the s6 edge+ and s7 edge I have experienced brightness issues. I do not have auto brightness selected and have brightness to max. It constantly will dim the phone based on the light hitting the sensor. It's like samsung's built in adaptive brightness. I have looked all across the internet for a fix to no avail, so am posting to try and see if I can get help.

Some people might think "what's the big deal", but it really frustrates me. I might be OCD or something, but I hate when it will dim the screen without any input from me. I like to get the best viewing experience out of my device. I don't know why Samsung decided to add a built in auto brightness feature that cannot be turned off, changed, or toggled. Many users have experienced this and complained as I have seen in previous posts from other forums or in this one, because it is a persistent issue. The best that i've seen in terms of getting it fixed was a post a while back about a specific file you could replace in the samsung s6 edge+ to edit the code, or w.e in order to disable this function.

Oh, and no, it is not some issue that can be fixed by changing settings already on the phone, I am 99% sure of that.

So I really need help. This is a big issue for me, regardless of how miniscule it might seem.

I bought an $800 premium phone, one if not the best on the market. So when there is a built-in feature from Samsung that is constantly changing the screen view on it's own and is unchangeable, it's frustrating.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
My phone does not do what you say. When I turn off auto brightness it stays bright and does not dim. You should return the phone and get another one.

Posted via the Android Central App via a kicking Gold Galaxy S7 Edge.

Google10

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
It's annoying to me that auto brightness has a higher max brightness than non-auto. This results in higher max brightness for a while but then auto brightness kicks in and the screen dims. Maybe that's what you mean?

rickgurri

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I had the same maddening problem on my s6 too even after exchanging it twice. Same with the 7 edge. Why do I have to deal with constant brightness adjusting when I dont want it to? I think everyone has it, they just dont notice. I have an ipad and never do I worry about it changing brightness levels. There is a reason for having the option to not have it adjust so it should work! I have tried brightness programs but they dont work either.

And actually mine dims without even light hitting the sensor. Its just random, although I find it happens more when I am texting.

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
No, I don't have this problem. Tried to replicate it for about 5 minutes and then gave up. So you can't say that everybody has it or more people would complain about it.

Google10

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
No, its not what he means. We bring brightness to the max, uncheck automatic ...then it randomly dims.
Max brightness with auto off is not as bright as max brightness with it on. So yes you see it dim when you uncheck auto.

DisplayMate: "More importantly, on the Galaxy S7 the Maximum Brightness can go much higher when Automatic Brightness is turned On, so that users can’t permanently park the Manual Brightness slider to very high values, which would run down the battery quickly. High Screen Brightness is only needed for High Ambient Light, so turning Automatic Brightness On will provide better high ambient light screen visibility and also longer battery running time."

rickgurri

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Max brightness with auto off is not as bright as max brightness with it on. So yes you see it dim when you uncheck auto.

DisplayMate: "More importantly, on the Galaxy S7 the Maximum Brightness can go much higher when Automatic Brightness is turned On, so that users can’t permanently park the Manual Brightness slider to very high values, which would run down the battery quickly. High Screen Brightness is only needed for High Ambient Light, so turning Automatic Brightness On will provide better high ambient light screen visibility and also longer battery running time."

Interesting. So you think clicking "automatic" while bringing it to highest brightness will maintain the brightness without adjusting it for you? Wouldnt it make sense for it to hold its brightness when unchecking it? Every phone I have ever had except the s6 and s7 has never dimmed while I was using it.

rickgurri

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

Interesting. So you think clicking "automatic" while bringing it to highest brightness will maintain the brightness without adjusting it for you? Wouldnt it make sense for it to hold its brightness when unchecking it? Every phone I have ever had except the s6 and s7 has never dimmed while I was using it.

xocomaox

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
This does not happen on mine. Set to manual and it stays. Set to auto and it adjusts to ambient lighting.

Also, how can you stand using max brightness all the time? Do you realize how bad that is for your eyes?

MartinMPL

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
The Gaming Mode seems to occasionally do this on mine. Open an app, it detects is as a game and the screen dips. It's definitely that for me as I don't see it any other time.

Can you narrow your issue down to anything like this.

rickgurri

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
This does not happen on mine. Set to manual and it stays. Set to auto and it adjusts to ambient lighting.

Also, how can you stand using max brightness all the time? Do you realize how bad that is for your eyes?

lol I dont wear sunglasses either. I am 50...have always been this way and my eyes are perfectly fine. Dont even wear glasses. Can we switch phones? hahhahha

t11rmh

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
In another thread someone said to turn off smart stay. It works so far for me.

That explains it then. I never have smart stay on as it never worked for me no matter what Samsung device I have had over the years.

rickgurri

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
That explains it then. I never have smart stay on as it never worked for me no matter what Samsung device I have had over the years.

Sadly, that didnt help. Same problem. Frustrating and really takes some of the pleasure away from using it.

Custnam

May 23, 2012
Visit site
I have the exact same issue with my S7 and S7 Edge. They both will dim the whites on screens like settings, etc. This is with auto brightness off, and brightness at half way. But it will get bright again if I exit that screen then go back to it. Very strange. Its kind of like the dim that happens right before the screen turns off, but happens no matter what. Ive also got smart stay off, and tried other display settings like amoled cinema and it still happens of both phones. I think its some kind of battery saving thing, not sure though.

billyjoebob007

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
The issue i dont like is that with auto bright off theres not much brightening past the halfway point on the slider. Dragging the slider from the very low point to mid point on slider there is definitely a noticeable change in the level of brightness but sliding it past the halfway point theres very little change in brightness level at all. :confused: