Is this a fair criticism of the S7 Edge?

Zod1010

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I had been strongly leaning towards replacing my S6 with an S7 Edge this weekend. However, the following criticism from Forbes is worrying:

I really want to like Samsung’s gorgeous new Galaxy S7 Edge phone. It’s undoubtedly the most-elegant, sleekest-looking smartphone on the market, blending a sleek metal casing with beautifully curved glass. It just makes me want to hold it — the ultimate compliment I could ever pay a cell phone.

The problem? Holding it, ironically.

Its screen is too responsive. And because that glass screen wraps around the phone’s right and left extremes — thus, the “Edge” in its name – there’s more of it to hold and functions to activate with inadvertent touches. In two weeks testing it, I’ve often backed out of apps unintentionally or brought up unwanted menus. I’ve used it all day everyday, so I’m not sure if more time would help me learn to hold it better. I’ve tried being so careful, but to no avail. Case in point: I took it to Florida for a family vacation, using it primarily as my GPS device and camera. Nearly every time I typed my destination into Google Maps, I meticulously eased the S7 Edge down into the car’s console cup holder so I could see the screen while driving, and wound up backing out of the GPS app in the process. Thus, I’d have to re-load it and try the entire process again. Seriously, this happened time after time. Same thing using the camera: The longer I held it up to snap photos, the more prone I became to backing out of the camera app. And yes, the phone I used had up-to-date software — just in case anyone was wondering.

So... is he right? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Full article here for anyone who is interested:

Forbes Welcome

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I had been strongly leaning towards replacing my S6 with an S7 Edge this weekend. However, the following criticism from Forbes is worrying:

I really want to like Samsung’s gorgeous new Galaxy S7 Edge phone. It’s undoubtedly the most-elegant, sleekest-looking smartphone on the market, blending a sleek metal casing with beautifully curved glass. It just makes me want to hold it — the ultimate compliment I could ever pay a cell phone.

The problem? Holding it, ironically.

Its screen is too responsive. And because that glass screen wraps around the phone’s right and left extremes — thus, the “Edge” in its name – there’s more of it to hold and functions to activate with inadvertent touches. In two weeks testing it, I’ve often backed out of apps unintentionally or brought up unwanted menus. I’ve used it all day everyday, so I’m not sure if more time would help me learn to hold it better. I’ve tried being so careful, but to no avail. Case in point: I took it to Florida for a family vacation, using it primarily as my GPS device and camera. Nearly every time I typed my destination into Google Maps, I meticulously eased the S7 Edge down into the car’s console cup holder so I could see the screen while driving, and wound up backing out of the GPS app in the process. Thus, I’d have to re-load it and try the entire process again. Seriously, this happened time after time. Same thing using the camera: The longer I held it up to snap photos, the more prone I became to backing out of the camera app. And yes, the phone I used had up-to-date software — just in case anyone was wondering.

So... is he right? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Full article here for anyone who is interested:

Forbes Welcome

Obviously because of the form of the phone, if you insist on handling it like a regular flat phone you'll have those issues, but once you use it and learn how to hold it (it sounds more difficult than it really is) you won't have issues.

Besides the handling issue there was a too-sensitive screen that was addressed in latest update, and people immediately noticed the difference, I didn't because I haven't seen anything like that in my previous S6 edge and now in my s7 edge.

For last, this is Forbes, no matter the article you read from there, you can easily see their hidden agenda, every article has the same tone where they say that the phone is great on this and that but they will always find a thing or two to say that because of that they won't use it, unless it has a fruit logo on it's back, it's not a 100% recommended phone.

Last edited:

jlczl

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
He is right in the fact that it begins like that when you start using the phone but apparently he didn't adapt quickly because after just about a day or so I stopped getting inadvertent touches just by my way of holding the phone. After a little while I did not even think about how I held the phone and it rarely happens anymore.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I upgraded from the s6 yesterday to the s7 edge. Yes I have had some accidental screen touches and opened apps I did not want to. But as stated you just need to hold it right. I will say that I have been more than pleased with this phone. The battery life is amazing, and will get better once I quit messing with the phone. But I have been on it all day working from home.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I think any criticism is fair if something doesn't work for a particular person and the way they use their phones. Personally it wasn't an issue for me due to the way I hold my phones.

Keith Molloy

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I found this to be an issue for me personally although it was only an issue when using the keyboard . However, ever since buying a case for it the issue is gone :) I think if you have fat hands then its more likely to be an issue and likewise if you dont have a case on it !

MizWylie

Q&A Team
Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
I've owned the phone since release and I still tap the screen with my palm. I put a case on it and it alleviated a lot of it, but I'm still bumping. I'm okay with that because I know I'll get used to it eventually.

This is my first phone with this ergonomic problem.

Posted from the S7E Chrome™ on Big Red

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Like others I have mine in spigen hybrid clear case and I don't have a problem with accidental activations, things become second nature after a short time.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes, he's right.

As others have said, a case helps immensely. In fact, it's pretty remarkable the difference between having even a light case on the phone and not having one at all.

Even after having the phone for about a month now, I still have inadvertent screen touches when I take the case off. Not to mention, the phone is uncomfortable to hold without a case (because you have to hold it a certain way to keep from inadvertent taps). I'd like to use it nekkid at home, but I simply can't.

I don't have the very latest update yet. The one from a week or so ago(?) that supposedly fixes the screen sensitivity. Hopefully when Verizon gets around to rolling that out to us, it will fix the issue for me.

If you tend to use a case anyway, you likely won't have an issue. At least not one that would be a deal breaker.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Yes, but. Even the thinnest cases will pretty much eliminate accidental activation of the edge screen. I use the Spigen Liquid Crystal. As expensive and fragile as this phone is, using a case is probably a good idea anyway.

llckll

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Use a Samsung flip cover. Offers more to hold and protects a lot better than thin covers.

Also, you shouldn't put your phone in the cup holder to look at it while driving. Dash or window mount so much better.

Posted via the Android Central App

optimummind

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
What everyone is saying is very true - pretty much any case you put on will mostly eliminate the issue. Same goes after adjusting your phone holding & handling behavior.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I think they started pushing out an update that makes it less sensitive to accidental touches when holding it.

I didn't experience any mistouches when holding the Edge. Granted, I had to adjust my grip a little, but once I do, it's not that hard, and it's also pretty nice to use.

If you can't do it, a case can help.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
IMHO thats a fair criticism. For me personally it would take some learning curve (drum roll please) to get used to this aspect as well. I am just so used to wrapping my hands completely around my phones. I probably would end up dropping the S7e a lot at first.

Scutley

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Forbes loves Apple = Samsung, not so much

Posted via the Android Central App
This is true. I think they even wrote an article about how the Apple IPhone is almost the same but you should by the IPhone because it's smaller and new even though it's almost the same as the IPhone you have now.

I haven't really had a problem with accidental screen touches. Maybe here and there I'll open an app I didn't want but I think that is my fault. I do the same thing in my car on my phone like the the article said and my phone has never had an issues.

I never read too much into what a company like Forbes, etc says because I think they get paid off and they clearly have some bias writers. My advice is go into the store check it out (by the way most of the time the salesperson doesn't know what they are talking about as well) and see for yourself. Play around with it and see if it does what the article says it does. If you like it buy it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez